Mage Spells not casting

I get some frame drops both inside and outside of dungeons on oculus from mages casting. This definitely makes it harder to draw. However, turning on ASW helps reduce the effect.

This is def a possibility but im pretty confident in my frost casting. I can normally cast frost 2 upside down in my sleep because of bell magin. I do get nervous and poof spells in shards but this was consistent. I thought it may be my sensors or my posture but a quick check would normally fix that.

sayy whatttt. I am going to try it now.

I am not sure what you changed but my fps is barely moving now :+1:… I haven’t tried in a dungeon yet though so I will confirm then. My casting is not failing hard like it was yesterday.

also love the 0.5 seconds targeting change you made on the beta too. works well.

Okay, interesting.

Well I think the easiest way to narrow down if it’s an FPS-related issue is just to test in your Player House and see if it’s always 100% consistent there (since there would never be any FPS fluctuations). if it’s always 100% consistent there, but you feel like it’s not consistent out in areas with lots of things going on where your FPS is dropping (even like “micro stutters” – look at the “min” value in the FPS meter), then that might point to that. In both cases of course just doing standard “stand around and practice” casting, since obviously in the heat of combat mistakes will be made anyway and I know we all expect that.

I’m glad to hear the Beta seems to be helping, though. And honestly at the end of the day working on improving FPS in general (i.e. with the VFX settings we discussed in the other thread) might be a better approach to solving this problem, since the more I mess with the Runemage casting drawing, the more it’s going to mess with the way people have already learned to do stuff.

2 Likes

still significant drops in beta. Maybe i spoke to soon.

So I think maybe there was some confusion, the fix on Beta didn’t affect the actual FPS of anything (e.g. seeing an FPS drop would still be expected), I attempted instead to make it so that if possible the Runemage spell casting would do better in low-FPS situations. That said I don’t think it’s probably going to work amazingly well or anything.

I think the only hope for fixing FPS drops in general is a) maybe working on the spell effects to make them simpler and b) the new VFX-by-class options we are adding so at least you can choose to hide VFX to keep your FPS higher in key situations.

Testing in the Highsteppe area is probably one of the worst places to test because it’s a high concentration of people which means you are already stressing out your graphics card to render everyone’s avatars, then on top of that random people are all casting spells and other stuff like that, so any testing is going to be really inconsistent.

1 Like

I was in a dungeon with 3 runemages earlier and my fps was spiking from 50-90 causing failed spells still. Is there any plan to put the new ‘by class’ muting on the beta branch?

At this point basically due to the scope of the changes from the June 11th patch everything related to that has to go out at the same time (it’s all tied together).

That is actually needed for more classes… someone went all out with lights and sparkles on lifewells, shaman bowls, triplicity spells etc. etc. which is nice if you are solo but a pain if in groups.
I recently started bard and shaman and sometimes literally see nothing, at all. These two classes need to be fairly close to the boss, but with 2 mages chain-casting triplicity, your sparkling thingies (empowered notes or shaman orbs) in front of you (and on top of that the “bard-disco-party”-super) it is just all a sparkling, lightning mess I can’t realy even see my notes in between, boss skills, movements or anything.

It looks like when its happening with me my drawing is delayed. Ie if I’m drawing a frost 2 using the P version and starting with the bottom of the P I hold down the trigger and start drawing but it does not start drawing right away. So I’ll end up with a P with a very short tail.
Maybe latency?
Maybe running 2 orbusvrs and 3 kids streaming is too much for our internet lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.