Make Potion of Forgetfulness weigh less

I am probably not the only one out there who finds that these new potions weighing 1 pound exacerbates the growing weight/inventory issue. Can we please make these potions weight 0.1 or even 0?

This is similar to the question of carrying potions in general. Are we expected to sacrifice 10lbs to carry 10 healing/assorted potions in the future? We really need some QoL in the inventory department along with some bug fixes for the inventory pages being several pixels forward that block the item overlay point-over window.

2 Likes

Potions are made from liquid lead, and quicksilver (mercury).

:weight_lifting_man:

3 Likes

I may end up making them a little lighter, but it’s one of those things where we’re trying to balance “if you want to carry 15 potions with you to a dungeon to constantly change your talents, that should cost you something”.

6 Likes

If healing potions weigh 1 lb I don’t see why these shouldn’t. They carry more power technically, as you could respec in the middle of a dungeon.

2 Likes

Yeah but this isn’t about carrying 15 potions of talent respec, its carrying other potions like healing potions etc. And its more about the inventory weight in general relative to introducing new carryables.

Maybe healing potions shouldn’t be 1lb just like how there were some fish that weighed 1lb and then were changed. Also I don’t see why “respeccing” in the middle of a dungeon being problematic when there is already a dram cost associated with potions of respeccing and there’s not a huge incentive to respec in the middle of a dungeon anyway for every single fight (which already means it costs more potions).

I like that. Balance and non-dram costs.

Double that potion’s weight then!
Drop a note somewhere with lore stating how corrosive the liquid of this potion is, not just magically to your mind but also physically like an acid, and thus it requires a very thick (read: heavy) glass bottle to contain.

won’t this just mean that people should leave some stuff in their house and not take everything with them?

weight management

4 Likes

personally I love that theres many costs to weigh when your carrying them with you… although i have felt for a while that strength gear should add to how much you can carry total that just makes sense and would alleviate other peoples concerns about the weight.

Slandaro

1 Like

Well I’ll have to disagree with you there. I think healing potions should remain 1lb because otherwise in PvP people would stack hundreds of them and be chugging constantly. Fish makes sense since you’re harvesting, but potions are meant to have a cap. At least that’s the idea I got :slight_smile:.

1 Like

The weight limit really discourages those who try to play all classes, currently. As for

people should leave some stuff in their house and not take everything with them?

Taking “everything” like tradables is not the issue… With 4 sets of gear, sometimes more than 2 different weapons to adapt playing style to groups/boss (sometimes you don’t really need unbending, sometimes you do), plus dmg, luck and health rings for TM it gets pretty crowded already. None of these things I can leave at home without a lack of performance and flexibility.
Now if people would get into runetiles more it absolutely would make sense having different tiled armor sets to switch per boss, but all that is limited by either limited space in the house or inventory.

I can only dream of taking lots of potions with me, rather am happy instead when I don’t have to shard every drop rightaway. Now if magic def would ever become a thing there’s a reason to have double the armor on you, one phys, one magic, and I hope weight limits are not screwing that.

So, since the thing which really fills my inv, inevitably, is the class gear, my suggestion would actually be to automatically expand weight limits, step by step, once a player gets his first, second, third class to 20 (which would also be a great incentive to level other classes)!

2 Likes

The potion of forgetfulness should cost 250 dram, but it shouldn’t be a potion we get… instead it should be a rare, one of a kind, ingredient that only that vendor has. The ingredient would be perishable (5 mins) so to discourage re-sale. And for 500 dram you can buy the recipe. Of course you’d only need the recipe once and then have to forage for the rest of the items needed.

The items needed would be based on the “strength” of potion you need. The strength is based on your level. Because higher level means more respec power needed.

Example:
Need to respec the first 2 of the 4 tiers of talents.
Queens ear, green, roto spore and sunfish, red, reed flute and blue moon spore, green, “rare ingredient”, blue, dip bottle and finish, then age potion. = potion of forgetfulness.

Need to respec all 4 talents.
same as above, but add 3 more steps and harder to find ingredients.

My 2¢

Actually an fix to this might be to make a max equip potion number. Say 16, so only 16 potions can be carried on the belt, and make it so you can’t equip stuff during combat which I think already exist.

Exactly!!
If we could stop thinking solely in terms of min-maxing numbers in a flat-screen MMORPG from the early '00s, and start thinking more in terms of actually existing in a virtual fantasy universe…

6 Likes

No? People don’t take all the gatherables with them? In fact there are people who have those chests filled I believe. Nobody here is asking for everyone to get 500 inventory weight.

If you play 1 profession:

1. You are already carrying around 15-20 weight.
  2. That leaves you 25 weight before can’t carry anything reasonably. If you put 10 potions on a person, now you have only 15 weight.
  3. Add assorted gear drops, gatherables, and other junk and you easily hit the cap.

Now add a second profession and you have even less weight. Now add in a secondary set of gear for your first profession. Now a second profession. Now you barely have expendable weight for gatherables and new gear drops. Maybe this doesn’t affect you, but then why be against increasing your inventory size when nobody is carrying everyone with them already?

Why not just limit healing potions to a maximum then? But limiting these things isn’t a good solution because all it does change people’s habits from doing one activity for a certain amount of time, then going back home to grab more potions. At some point you end up wondering why not just increase the quality of life in general or simply not allow healing potions in PVP.

What does this have anything to do with “flat screen MMORPGs”? This is about quality of life. When people go fishing, they already swap out their inventories so they can carry more lures. When they go to dungeons, they already swap out other items to carry the gear they need.

It has nothing to do with VR or MMORPGs, and more about how the game allows you to be 4 different professions by simply switching weapons yet expects you to return to your house every single time you want to switch just to grab a different set of gear? Its about quality of life as the game expands down the road.

1 Like

to be more specific…"Everything people think they need’

an idea i had was to have a small inventory(half normal size) page dedicated to gear which does not effect weight, but it also limits the amount of gear you can bring, because you cant always have all of your gear for every situtation/job

There could be a seperate page for potions not related to healing which has their own weight max, like for fun purposes such as the giant potions and body lantern :slight_smile: who knows what riley might bring

At the end of the day its an RPG, role play the fact that you shouldnt have so much stuff with you that you cant walk.

if the community wants more bags, bring on the bags, but if this game gets too easy… its gonna get too boring

1 Like

I like the idea that you are limited to a weight/ space amount. Its what separates this RPG and makes it a VRRPG. The immersion takes affect when you have to plan out your journey. You select the items you think you’ll need for the trip and set out to complete the task. You shouldn’t need all four sets of gear, plus fishing, plus 200 potions, plus this, plus that. Try going on a hiking/ backpacking trip in real life. You cant take everything with you, therefore in this game you are limited to a certain weight limit. That said, there should be options to expand the space and there should be weight balancing to some items to allow more of one item (potions) and maybe less of others.

This game shouldn’t be like diablo 3 or WOW where you have 5+ bags where you can carry 20 armor sets and potions are weightless/ infinite. I say keep the game immersive, but allow an option to expand to a larger bag for a cost.

3 Likes

That would make sense if your current inventory can carry 45 pieces of gear which clearly exceeds the maximum inventory capacity you’d think you’d have if you are roleplaying. There should be a balance between the game and the fantasy roleplaying, and my point is that you can’t ignore this issue forever.

Not everyone plays the game the same way you do. People aren’t playing games 100% for realistic inventory weights. This is about inventory weight and balancing it as the game expands. So unless the devs come out and say, yeah we intended for you have 4 professions to play but only carry a single set of armor for either physical or magical but not really both, then I don’t see why we can’t get the inventory weight expanded OR reduce the weight on certain items in the meantime or both.

Not sure why you used Diablo 3 as an example because that game had a restrictive inventory right from the start and it took years before they started to expand the stash space beyond the original set after limiting part of it to certain players who bought certain editions.

in WoW, they have bags that can be expanded. Like I said before, if changing the weight for potions isn’t on the table for devs, then I am all for expanding the inventory somehow. But we haven’t heard anything about this yet so here we are.

I still dont buy the opinion that the weight as it is currently is “immersive”. Are you really trying to tell me that a single potion in this game is equal to a single piece of gear = immersive? I agree that having a reasonable inventory size/weight can be immersive however. But this isn’t some single player game balanced around a single character. Its a game that features on the fly class switching yet the inventory/gear situation doesn’t really accommodate for it.

1 Like

haha ok then…role play the fact that you have a certain amount of space and that’s it

if you want to gather then leave room for that
if you want to level then leave room for that
if you want to lvl/gather…leave room for that or just spend 5min teleporting and doing weight management

1 Like

People clearly play differently and also the game got different aspects. My post for example wasn’t about gathering or leveling, but about the endgame content and the so-not-roleplay-part that people switch to entirely different classes during these fights. In TM I really don’t hop around roleplaying thinking uhhh I’m a ranger I’m a ranger and now I’m a fantasy healer and now I am a firemage and what all :smiley:
I focus on group and boss mechanics, want to improve my classes, use my talents, gear, runetiles, bring all-the-same bosses down faster and faster. None of TM has much to do, for me, with the RPG-part people like Mnemonic_Ghost might experience while wandering through the rest of the world and questing.

That’s just different and true, now and then I actually like to go fishing or farming for dyes or gathering, plan what to take with me, even walk by foot and leave TM gear at my house, no problem, but that’s not the whole game.

And as for weight limits, again, it currently punishes those who play all classes and rewards those who don’t, which is somewhat paradox! There is no single reason why a tank who only plays tank all the time is allowed to take, like, 4 sets of gear to TM and 20 potions while another member who aids the group/guild by playing more classes isn’t. Class flexibility is actually even required and should be encouraged, not punished, since not every boss is brought down best with the standard setting of 1 tank 1 healer, 3 dmg, sometimes mages are needed instead of rangers etc.

A workaround would perhaps even be drastically reducing weight of all armor and weapons (to that of shards), that’s one problem less then and people farming gear go with lighter bags and shard what they find anyway, the questing/rpg part wouldn’t change much.

Right, people play differently (key word)… hence why there should be an option to expand the bag space as well as adjust the weight system accordingly. I’m not suggesting make it 1:1 real life, obvy its a fantasy game. But there has to be a limit at some point otherwise… whats the point of bag space and weights?

Lets say that once you get through the main quests you get a large bag (double the space). To the game this would indicate that you are in “end game” and would require a larger bag to start another class, gather more, or take on bosses with flexibility in class choice. Reason for not just doubling the bag space from the start is, this “returning to home” causes you to play the game and not just grind TM over and over for hours… it would allow you to experience the game and interact with others in the game. Some starting people have to ask veteran players where to find X or how to collect X and the hubs are the places to find answers. (there isn’t much online to just google and find your answer, like most other mmorpg games. If you do need to rush home then you can use a portal, the house teleport disk w/cool down, airship, or even change your house location closer with a house deed.

I can sympathize with the time is money theory and time wasted is time not spent grinding for that slightly better gear. But if the creators wanted you to just grind the TM for hours then they would have a portal to teleport directly there and a infinite bag and weightless items.

1 Like