Megathread: Frequent Crashes

@Jp_P The server was just offline to issue a patch. Close and restart your game and you should no longer be in the sky.

970/i5/8GB RAM/SSD/Vive headset

Multiple crashes within minutes of starting the game for the first time. Less frequent once exiting tutorial area, but I’ve still experienced seven or eight crashes in four hours of play.

There doesn’t seem to be a consistent trigger. Maybe it has something to do with loading? I can’t be sure. Here are the circumstances of the crashes I remember:

On an airship traveling to Guild City
Walking through Guild City
In combat with an Armored Warg outside of the burning forest

Are there logs I can pull from somewhere?

Hey there – Thanks for letting us know, and sorry about that. If you scroll up to the very first post, there is information on a few things to try (like turning off Super Sampling if you have it on), and also info on where the logs are and where to send them. Thank you!

Wow, I didn’t even read the first post. I’ve lost all my respect for myself.

Emailed you my own log.
SS is at 1.0. By the beta, do you mean SteamVR Home? The checkbox in SteamVR Settings under General?

No it would be something you opt into where you right-click on SteamVR and select the “beta” branch, you would likely know if you’ve done it.

I’ll take a look at your log, thanks!

Hello,

My game crashed 5 minutes after it started, even with the last patch.
It was not the first time. Those crashs are happening everytime I play Orbus, after 15 minutes of play, 10, 5, I don’t know how many minutes, and I don’t know why.
I was just fishing near the fisherman hut when it happened tonight.

I’m sending you the log file.
My system may explain the issue?
i5-2500k (3.3GHz), 8Go RAM, Windows 10 64 bits, NVidia GeForce GTX 970 (4Go RAM), and HTC Vive…
Oh, and no SS (x1.0).

This has been happening to me lately as well, back towards the start of EA i was advised to turn my graphics settings down to low, which has worked for awhile, but after about 2 patches ago the crashes returned, but havnt been sending in the logs because i have just assumed it was because of my potato cpu, which completly bottle necks my gpu
My CPU is a FX 6300, gpu is a 1070. i will hopefully be getting a new mobo and cpu soon so we will also see if that fixes it
thanks!

Hey, I am not sure if this is game related but sometimes I take my headset off to reply to messages on discord / look at some docs and when I put the headset back on the game is entirely black, so much so that i have to reboot my Computer for it to work again.

Also experiencing frequent crashes within 15 minutes, sent output_log file. Also every crash had vrclient.exe issue. HTC Vive

Same here - frequent crashes throughout my first hour of play in the tutorial area, happened twice in quick succession when I was shooting the dummy with my bow, then worked well for a bit and crashed again as I was leaving.

GTX 970
i5 2500
HTC Vive

(no supersampling and no beta branch)

Oh and I sent the log in an email too

Crashing two or three times an hour.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: All Series
BIOS: 0801
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16322MB RAM
Page File: 6266MB used, 26440MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
FriendlyName: HTC Vive
SymbolicLink: \?\usb#vid_0bb4&pid_2c87&mi_00#8&179f56ab&0&0000#{e5323777-f976-4f5b-9b55-b94699c46e44}\global
Manufacturer: Microsoft
HardwareID: USB\VID_0BB4&PID_2C87&REV_0100&MI_00,USB\VID_0BB4&PID_2C87&MI_00
DriverDesc: USB Video Device
DriverProvider: Microsoft
DriverVersion: 10.0.15063.447
DriverDateEnglish: 6/21/2006 00:00:00
DriverDateLocalized: 6/21/2006 12:00:00 AM
Service: usbvideo
Class: Image
DevNodeStatus: 180200A[DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
ContainerId: {FEB8037A-6784-11E7-812C-806E6F6E6963}
ProblemCode: No Problem
BusReportedDeviceDesc: HTC Vive
Parent: USB\VID_0BB4&PID_2C87\7&1fb7c1e7&0&2
DriverProblemDesc: n/a
UpperFilters: n/a
LowerFilters: n/a
Stack: \Driver\ksthunk,\Driver\usbvideo,\Driver\usbccgp
ContainerCategory: Imaging

Edit: Sent a few DMPs with output logs and a full dxdiag. 50%~ of the time it’s crashing to desktop with a windows DMP instead of an orbus recorded one. Only game that does this.

Still crashing every 15-50 minutes, can sometimes last an hour, never more than 2.
Graphically the game runs fine, no frame dips or tears.

Was in the SteamVR Beta, opted out of that.
Supersampling is set to 1.0

GPU 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
CPU Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz
HTC Vive

Hi,

Just reporting that this issue is happening to me (vrclient.exe stopped working) about once per hour. Most recently twice today while playing.

Specs:
i5 2500k OC @4GHz
GTX 1060 3GB
8GB RAM
Oculus (not using core 2 beta)

I sent the log (email address: “adamk******[email protected]”)

Edit: Just wanted to add that I noticed my game stutters sometimes when I press “A” after drawing a rune. And I think the first crash today happened right as I was pressing “A” to confirm a rune drawing. Could be totally unrelated though.

Hey Adam, I never got your log…unless maybe I already responded to you via email and just didn’t realize it was you? If you haven’t heard from me please re-send it to [email protected] or PM me a link to it on here via a file sharing service. Thanks!

Just bumping this thread to make sure it stays toward the top in case anyone else is having these issues. At this point we’ve got most of them solved I think except for a few folks that I am working with directly right now. If you’re not in contact with me via email and you are still crashing frequently (e.g. every hour or more) then please follow the instructions in the first post on this thread and email me your log so we can work on getting it sorted out for you. Thanks!

I’m getting crashes at random intervals and have since I got the game on 12/23. “vrclient.exe has stopped working.”

Anywhere between 5 minutes to over an hour. Usually seems to be when some interface element is coming up, or the next line of quest dialog or something like that. Although, I have set my Vive down for a moment, completely idle, and come back to a game crash.

i5 3570K
24GB RAM
GTX 970
HTC Vive

I have tried the beta branch of Orbus. I am not on the Steam VR beta branch. I’ll also send a crash log.

2 Likes

I’m crashing every 2 minutes after todays update to 3.46.

I’m playing on an oculus rift, using nothing else than oculus home. Steam is not involved in this.

Every time it crashed the game created a new folder with 3 log files in it (i can send those via email if you want):

Motherboard: Asus B350-Plus Prime
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760
RAM: 16GB DDR4

Can you send me a zip of those folders and I’ll take a look at what’s going on? Thanks! [email protected]

You should receive the mail any minute :slight_smile:

Just in case this affected anyone else, seemed to be a corrupted build on the Oculus store, should be fixed now.

2 Likes