New Class: Highlander

A lot of you can argee that there aren’t that many melee classes. Well the high lander is a DPS melee class. Wielding a giant 2 handed sword, this class cuts down foes with powerful slashes.

This class requires you two use 2 hands if you wanna swing your sword. Similar to warrior, you need to make long arching swings to maximize damage. This class can do insane damage if you get good at swinging wide and long, fast. This class has a few special abilities.

You can dash, going a short distance, and damaging, plus stunning, anything in your path, draining mana as you do. If slash something 5 seconds after a dash, that slash is a guaranteed crit. Last but not least, shock wave. While holding trigger, slash. This unleashes a ranged shockwave attack that pushes back and stuns enemies. This doesn’t do as much damage as slash and does drain mana, so use it sparingly. When dealing with this class in pvp, I’d suggest warrior.

This class can effectively close the gap between them and an enemy, and stun them to prevent running away, making them deadly in PVP.

Ultimate: World Shatterer

Hold both trigger to activate your ultimate. Your sword will glow purple, and your next slash will do the highest possible amount of damage your could do to that enemy times 10. This attack can devastate an enemy with ease, although you can only attack 1 enemy.

Talents:

Level 5:

Marathon: Dash distance doubled.

Razor Wind: Enemies hit by dash have bleed applied.

Level 10:

Stop right there!: Enemies that get crited are stunned and slowed.

Highlander’s fury: You become invincible for 2 seconds after criting.

Level 15:

Caught Off Guard: Shockwave applies a defense debuff to enemies.

Sharp Sound: Enemies hit by shockwave are given bleed.

Level 20:

Merciless: Damage done to stunned enemies is increased by 25%.

Brutal Force: Stun time is doubled.

Level 30:

Surrounded: Hit your sword on the ground while holding trigger to unleash an AOE version of shockwave, draining most of your mana.

Desperate: The less health you have, the more damage you do.

7 Likes

Okay, a melee class that’s somewhat original. I feel like the ultimate may be op but that’s fine. I also feel like the lvl 10 talents are a little too powerful. Other than that the only question I have is what armor would it wear but I love the idea.

2 Likes

i really hope Leather

3 Likes

this honestly sounds really enjoyable maybe some more talents focusing on the mana regen side or combos that give mana such as like how warrior has wound but now you’re using combos to regen mana to then spend the mana on a burst phase

3 Likes

I’ve tried to AVOID making it like the warrior.

1 Like

This class sounds fantastic. I agree that the ultimate may be a bit OP, but over all I think this would be a great addition to the game. I love both of the current melee classes, but there really needs to be a DPS melee class instead of two tanks.

2 Likes

I think this could work as long as you really emphasize the length of the sword.
Tanks are very close ranged because they ideally have enemy agro. Enemies actively try to stay within their arms reach. I think its fine for a dps class to have positioning and close range be its major “skill test”, you just want to make sure that it doesn’t feel like you need to babysit your position every other swing and that it doesn’t feel too terrible on bosses and enemy groups that need to be kited. Tldr I’m thinking final fantasy/anime style “two handed sword”

A couple of other notes. You want to be careful when giving dps classes lots of mobility and stuns. I dont think the dashes would be too problematic as long as they somewhat mirrored warrior’s sword rush. Basically giving it easy access to disengage and additional movement by letting them dash away from enemies, circles, etc… could make the class feel a little bit cheep in its ability to make mistakes and not get punished for them. On the note of stuns, making it stun enemies can frequently actually be a negative for higher level content. This might sound silly but tanks frequently actually want to get hit by enemies because that’s how they build agro. If you were for example to stun a boss at the start of a fight by dashing in to engage, the tank is going to lose agro and wipe.

None of these are major deal breakers and I’m mostly arguing against the worst case. For the most part this seems preaty reasonable

2 Likes

Looking at your talents,

Both of the level 10 talents look super problematic.
Stun on crit would either result in being able to infintly stunlock enemies or if you couldn’t infinitely stunlock would be objectively terrible because your tank wouldn’t be able to build hammer pips/shield hits because the boss inst hitting them

Invulnerability on crit would either allow you to infinitely not take damage and be a tanking monster or if it didn’t would let you randomly not die to mechanics sometimes. Things aren’t agroed on you in serious content so giving a dps class survivability mechanics doesn’t make sense.

Brutal force could exasperate the whole “too much stun” problem but isn’t necessarily a problem in itself

Surrounded could be a bit unfun if it is good. Giveing a class access to an attack that immediately spends all of its resources could lead to players doing nothing but slamming and waiting for all their mana to regen to slam again. Overall I think it would probably not be very good because ideally if its balanced you are using this on groups of enemies, probably near the start of the fight before you’ve killed a lot of them. using a massive allout aoe dps spike is going to pull agro and I don’t think a close ranged dps class should want to have an entire enemy group agroed on them.

Desperate would probably not be very useful in group content either. Preaty quickly as you move up the shard levels you will find that there isn’t a whole lot of things that can target dps that won’t outright one-shot them. Additionally because you are standing near enemies you are probably constantly being healed so even if you manage to take non lethal damage/unbend you are probably going to be instantly healed back to full

I think some talents that increase your mana regen to force you to play faster and make more decisions late game or some talents that might exange survivability for damage output to allow you to make the class feel reasonable to level early game without making them feel like a easy mode “dps that can make mistakes without dying” mid to late game could be cool

1 Like

No to the anime style sword. Also dash works as an attack to hit multiple enemies at once. The thing with stun is that I had mainly pvp in mind when making it. I have played warrior in PVP, and it’s annoying how even when you stun them, they generate stamina quickly enough to teleport away, out of range.

Surrounded and desperate are more intend as talents to deal with worse case scenarios.

I didn’t know stun took away argo.

I recently found out that tanks lose argo if you stun, and aren’t able to get argo while and enemy is stunned, so I made a less stun based rework. I also took inspiration from @Bucky suggestions.

A lot of you can argee that there aren’t that many melee classes. Well the high lander is a DPS melee class. Wielding a giant 2 handed sword, this class cuts down foes with powerful slashes.

This class requires you two use 2 hands if you wanna swing your sword. Similar to warrior, you need to make long arching swings to maximize damage. This class can do insane damage if you get good at swinging wide and long, fast. This class has a few special abilities.

You can dash by hitting the button runemage uses to cast spells, going a short distance, and damaging anything in your path, draining mana as you do. If slash something 5 seconds after a dash, that slash is a guaranteed crit. Last but not least, shock wave. While holding trigger, slash. This unleashes a ranged shockwave attack that pushes back enemies. This doesn’t do as much damage as slash and does drain mana, so use it sparingly. Berserk. Hold down the runemage cast button on both remote to activate berserk. This quickly drains mana over time. When ever you hit an enemy, it gets one blood marking. Blood markings increase the amount of damage you do to an enemy. Last ability is mana theif. Hold down trigger and the runemage button. Your sword will glow blue. Slash an enemy and steal some of their mana. Players in pvp who get hit by this will lose a portion of their pvp. This attack can also interrupt. It has a 30 second cool down.

When dealing with this class in pvp, I’d suggest warrior. This class can effectively close the gap between them and an enemy, to prevent running away, making them deadly in PVP.

Ultimate: World Shatterer

Hold both trigger to activate your ultimate. Your sword will glow purple, and your next slash will do 5x damage and apply 10 blood markings. This attack can devastate an enemy with ease, although you can only attack 1 enemy.

Talents:

Level 5:

Marathon: Dash distance doubled.

Razor Wind: Enemies hit by dash have bleed applied.

Level 10:

Merciless: Blood markings do DOT.

Highlander’s fury: Enemies are given 2 blood markings if you crit them.

Level 15:

Caught Off Guard: Shockwave applies a defense debuff to enemies.

Sharp Sound: Enemies hit by shockwave are given bleed.

Level 20:

Big haul: The amount of mana you steal is doubled.

Life steal: You also heal yourself for the amount of damage your mana steal does.

Level 30:

Surrounded: Hit your sword on the ground while holding trigger to unleash an AOE version of shockwave, draining most of your mana.

Desperate: For each dead ally, increase your attack by 5%.

1 Like

@Infiniterune @Zach_N @Zalobro @Xenocider @Lavawhale reworked it, come look

Sounds fun and I would definitely enjoy playing a class like that!

1 Like

I’ve decided on cloth because my inspiration for the Highlander are kilt wearing, claymore wielding Scottish warriors who I think were called highlanders.

@Mathieu_D Can I get your honest opinion on this?

This is better and I love the rework for desperate, it made me laugh when I read it but I think its legitimately a cool talent.

I still have issues with the amount of mobility the class has due to the dash for the stated reasons In my previous response.

1 Like

Well how would it be able to reach ranged players in PVP. I kept PVP in mind when making this.

Just lock the dash to force you to dash towards targets sorta like warrior dash. My problem is with the dash being used as an easy disengage or used to dodge circles and projectiles without having to manage your stamina

1 Like

It is meant to be fast moving and hard to hit, this class. Dash goes in the direction you’re facing. You can’t change course till you’re down dashing. Plus it takes a fair bit of mana. So it does have draw backs.