New class idea: the chain whip (reworked)

OG post here: New class idea: the chain whip

This class wields a chain whip that boasts both impressive offensive and some defensive capabilities. This class specializes in AOE.

Similar to the scoundrel, this class is affected by velocity. The faster you swing, and the closer you are, the more damage you do. You can also hit multiple enemies at once. The damage done to each enemy is the damage that would normally be done to that enemy, divided by the amount of enemies hit. The chain can extend up to 8 meters. This class is capable of doing damage to a large amount of enemies at once.

The whip can deflect projectiles. You can deflect these projectiles towards enemies, dealing damage. It drains 1/10 of the blue meter.

You also have a blue meter. When holding down trigger, your weapon does something special depending on it’s heads. When the bar is fully drained, you have to wait until it is full to use it again. So don’t go nuts.

Heads:

There are 4 different heads. Axe, mace, spear, and spike ball.

Spike ball is your basic balanced head. It’s special attack when you hold down trigger is that wherever it hits creates an area of poisonous spikes, damage and poisoning enemies. It takes 1/3 of the blue bar when it does this.

Spear is good at dealing with singular enemies, making good for pvp and bosses. Damage will be increased by 50% when hitting one enemy but decreased by 50% when hitting multiple. It’s special is a charged attack that does major damage to a single enemy. It takes the entire bar when it does this.

Mace is your slow heavy hitter. Velocity buff is decreased by 75%. Damage is doubled. Whip speed is decreased by 50%. So, you can do more damage than normal, but you’ll have to swing even harder if you actually want to do more damage. It’s special is a AOE knockback attack. It takes up 1/2 of the bar.

Axe is the reverse of the spear. Damage to multiple enemies at once is increased by 50%, but damage to singular enemies is decreased by 50%. It’s special is for the blade to turn purple and apply defense debuffs to enemies hit by hit. Every swing where one or more enemies are hit takes 1/5 of the meter is drained.

Ultimate:

While holding both triggers, whip the ground, unleashing a powerful shock wave, doing major damage to enemies in a small area.

Talents:

Level 5/Tier 1:

Option 1:

Increase blue meter recharge speed by 5%.

Option 2:

Damage done by special attacks in increased by 5%.

Level 10/Tier 2:

Option 1:

5% boost to AOE damage.

Option 2:

5% boost to singular enemy damage.

Level 15/Tier 3:

Option 1:

5% increase for the chance a deflected projectile to crit.

Option 2:

Whenever a deflected projectile crits, a defense debuff is applied for 30s.

Level 20/Tier 4:

Option 1:

The defense debuff of the axe head and the poison of the spike ball head both are extended by 5s.

Option 2:

Spear and mace head damage is increased by 3%.

Level 30/Tier 5:

Option 1:

Deflection cool down time is decreased by 2 seconds.

Option 2:

Deflected projectile damage increased by 25%.

Overall this class can take down a group of enemies providing AOE support or it can go all in and be a force of pure destruction.

2 Likes

This seems preaty reasonable.
The one problem I could see is the velocity mechanic benefiting from violent movements being possibly unsafe. Scoundrel requires swinging your arm but its in a very smooth controlled motion and runemage requires some preaty violent motion but its localized in a small area in front of them.

Basically I would worry that people would accidentally end up punching their walls and other objects very hard in the excitement of combat.

I think a reasonably achievable speed cap would preaty easily solve this problem though. Ideally it should be fast enough that it incentivises full swings and feels physically engaging and slow enough that people aren’t flailing around and you could play the class for a while without getting super tired.

2 Likes

My concern too xD, imagine all the post on here. Why do you have a class where I smashed my controller with…

1 Like

Ignore option 1 for Tier 5. Forgot to change it. Instead of decreasing a non existent cool down, it Instead applies a status effect that increases the chance for the enemy hit by it to be crited by 3%.

In pally and warrior I just flail my arms around too so it might not be too bad

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.