New class idea: the chain whip

I originally posted it on reddit:

This class wields a chain whip that boasts both impressive offensive and defensive capabilities.

You could stay in the back, avoiding damage and danger, whipping enemies from afar, doing a pretty good amount of damage, or you can charge in, up close and personal, dealing high damage, but also increasing enemy agro towards you, risking getting targeted and killed.

Similar to the scoundrel, this class is affected by velocity. The faster you swing, and the closer you are, the more damage you do. You can also hit multiple enemies at once. The damage done to each enemy is the damage that would normally be done to that enemy, divided by the amount of enemies hit. The chain can extend up to 8 meters.

We’ve been talking about offensive, but what about defense? If you hit an enemy in either the head or stomach area, there’s a decent chance to stun an enemy, the higher velocity. (Note, there’s a 30 second cool down to stun the same enemy.) If the enemy is doing an interruptable attack, then it’ll be interrupted instead. The whip can deflect projectiles aslong as the enemy isn’t a higher level. It ignores Level for boss projectiles. You can deflect these projectiles towards enemies, dealing damage. There’s a 5 second cool down between deflections.

Ultimate:

While holding both triggers, whip the ground, unleashing a powerful shock wave, doing major damage to enemies in a small area.

Talents:

Level 5/Tier 1:

Option 1:

Velocity damage increased by 25%.

Option 2:

Distance damage decrease is decreased by 25%.

(Option 1 is good for more offensive while 2 is better for those who’d rather stay in the back, avoiding danger.)

Level 10/Tier 2:

Option 1:

When a stun attack crits, it gives the enemy a defense debuff for 10s. (This includes interrupting attacks.)

Option 2:

When a stun attack crits, stun time is doubled. (If it’s an interrupt than it’ll just stun it for the normal amount of time.)

(You can deal more damage with option 1 but the enemy can attack you before the debuff wears off, thus taking damage. While with doubled stun, you take less damage, but aren’t dealing as much as damage compared to the defense debuff.)

Level 15/Tier 3:

Option 1:

Defense increased by 25%.

Option 2:

Attack increased by 25%.

(Option one is good for more offensive players to withstand more damage while option 2 is good for those who stay in the back since it helps negate the distance damage decrease, especially with option 2 of tier 1.)

Level 20/Tier 4:

Option 1:

The closer you are, the higher the chance of criting.

Option 2:

Stun hit boxes are increased by 10%.

(1 is really useful for significantly increasing damage for more offensive players, plus the bonus affects caused by the tier 2 for criting a stun attack. While 2 makes it easier to stun from farther away.)

Level 30/Tier 5:

Option 1:

Deflection cool down time is decreased by 2 seconds.

Option 2:

Deflected projectile damage increased by 25%.

Overall this class may not do as much damage as a skilled scoundrel or archer, but can also boast some defensive capabilities, aswell as has higher health and armor, allowing it to tank if there’s no warrior or paladin to tank. Though it’s not as good at tanking as those 2.

1 Like

implementing a whip would be pretty hard and what about other things than just the main weapon most classes have something else for mechanics to play off of (scoundrels cards, rangers arrows and trap, warriors shield and horn, paladins books, musketeers turret) something that allows you to still participate in the battle even if your arm gets tired might be a good idea.

1 Like

If you look at classes that make your arm tired, like scoundrel and rune mage, you’ll know that if you practice hard enough, eventually you won’t get tired, and will have perfected it.

did you mean ranger? scoundrel is probably one of the least tiring classes. and yeah I guess if the whip was set to not require much force than yeah but also having another mechanic is always good than just weapon. even if the mechanic is pretty small.

1 Like

Nope, I meant scoundrel. It gets very very tiring constantly waving your arm around trying to do trickshots. It’d be easier if I didn’t always miss.

What will the class be called is my question. If he means that the Chain Whip is what he’ll call the class and not the weapon i am going to be confused.

1 Like

Oh wait… it says that the chain whip is the weapon. :expressionless:

1 Like

The idea of a whip isn’t super inherently flawed and could be useable if the devs ever found the need to add another dps class to the game. I think it would feel just “melee-like” enough to get people to stop asking for dual wielding Kirito warriors that can tank-heal-dps and solo level 15 shards.

that being said the class as you laid out would likely be super overpowered in the overworld and lower level content and absolutely unusable in high level content. here are a few reasons why

1. Stun. it seems like you want the class to have a significant focus on stunning enemies. this is great in more casual content when pulling agro isn’t a big problem but at high levels stunning enemies is actually often a bad thing. tanks frequently really want enemies to hit them, paladins need their pips and warriors need their shield hits. additionally the fact the the stun would first happen right at the start of each fight is especially bad because that is when tanks are most vulnerable to being pulled off of. basically for example, if shaman’s stun orb applied anything more than the millisecond long stun it currently does, shaman would be a worse class.

2. Multi-archetyping. you said you wanted it to be a tank-DPS. this would end up with one of two outcomes either:

a) you make it a subpar tank and dps and you end up with the “bard problem”. bards are pretty good healers and pretty good dps and yet up until recently when they finally got buffed, they saw very little play. Thats because it was worse at healing than a musket and an extra 10k dps doesnt matter when your dps are each doing 80k. in the same way if you tried to play the chain class like a tank in high level content you would die and if you played it like a dps you would put out less damage than the other dps classes while still getting one shot by projectiles because real tanks get one shot by them too.

b) you make it an actual viable tank or dps while still having the benefits of the other and you get the “paladin problem”. paladins are dps-tanks which can actually viably tank and they are oppressive in early game viability and cheese potential. they can solo shard dungeons, world bosses, and can reasonably tank very high level shards without a healer if you know what you are doing.

basically the inflexibility of orbus’s classes is part of what makes it good. it forces you to be social and party up and thats part of why orbus has such a great comunity. multi archetyping either makes a class that can be bad at two things at once or already good enough + even more upside.

I too enjoyed castleVania

1 Like

I hate that if you stun an enemy and someone hits the enemy immeadiatly after that and kills him, you get no benefit.

I shall roll a dice and if its 4+ than i will agree with infiniterune. If it is 3- than i will not agree with myself.

@discobot roll 1d6

:game_die: 2

I do not agree with myself, which actually means i DO agree with myself.

GAAHH!!! I’m so confusing, and i don’t know why. I’m also getting off topic, which is bad.

I still agree with Infiniterune and i always have. The chain whip thing just seems too overpowered. And also the classes are usually focused one one thing rather than multiple, and split into 3 types. Thats why orbus should NEVER add the Kirito warriors. NEVER!!

This is fine.

THIS IS NOT!!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.