New Dev Blog: Raid Beta and Bringing Back the Overworld

The pvp should be guaranteed and shouldn’t be by chance. That was one of the things that was hurting the trickster chest and causing people not to show up as well.

If you make it take that long for a group to kill, you will absolutely see no solo players joining the fight, just Laughing Coffin and other guilds.

1 Like

I understand the concern, however for me I see it more guaranteed that PVP will occur than chance. The more players you have with PVP on the more likely a player vs player battle will occur. PVP does not only happen to the person that finds the goblin but it also happens to anyone not on your team. If I find someone I do not know or not on my team I might attack weather that person has the prize or not. By increasing participation in PVP you increase the chance or “guarantee” that player vs player battles will occur.

@Kamina has a good point. I would say not necessarily that it has been found but that it is no longer available in the zone to be taken.

This does bring up an old idea, but if I am killed a few times, my gear breaks, and reawaken where there is no smith, I would have to head back to highsteppe to repair. @Riley_D Was there any thought given to the idea of having emergency kits to repair gear?

1 Like

Part of the new questline is going to be unlocking additional Apprentice Smiths out in the world to help with that.

On the Trickster Goblin, it’s a new mechanic and I’d like to see how it actually plays out before we jump to conclusions or anything like that. That said, I had the same thought about making it to where if you have a Trickster Goblin Token in your inventory, you cannot use Safe Zones or Teleport Pillars, since that might make it a bit too easy. Or maybe looting one gives you a debuff where you can’t log off or use a safe zone/teleport (which dying would clear).

I like the RNG nature of the setup and if that means every spawn isn’t a massive 10v10 battle guaranteed I’m okay with that. I still think in general a large group is going to have an advantage in being able to respond quickly and find it faster than a small team or a solo player, but the latter getting a spawn successfully every now and then is actually a feature to me not a bug. But we’ll see how it plays out in practice once it launches.

Things are going to cost multiple tokens to buy so we’ll have plenty of opportunity to see how this plays and make adjustments just like we did with the Trickster Chest to how it works in practice. It’s unlikely it will play out exactly how anyone thinks it will but I’m sure just like the original chest eventually a meta will emerge and we can go from there.

4 Likes

This gives me more concern about the timing. Is it possible you’d consider making them spawn more frequently? Reborn has me spoiled for things to do, compared to Oldbus, and this is basically a unique public event.

Can you also please make it so anyone with PvP turned off cannot see the trickster goblin and make it so anyone that carrying the tokens cannot use potions.

For the GRINDING device when it hits max level you can over level it right? Or do you have to buy a new one?

1 Like

If they can’t teleport or log we just do what we always do. KoS everyone in the zone until it drops then travel as a group to safeguard it lol

1 Like

Will the GRINDING device also give chunks of xp or is it meant to be purely for grinding items?

I would very much like to see the Trickster Goblin, as a PVE player. I don’t want to kill it, so I’d be ok with not being able to interact with it, but I’d like to be able to watch the PVP battles.

I agree that we are jumping the gun a bit without data to see how this new “event” will work in game. However, if this is implemented I do ask that there be some type of zone, location, or objective that would allow a solo or small team to be able to find safety. I am not asking to make it easy however I am asking there be a way to encourage solo or small teams to participate and feel as if they could succeed. Skill should be involved in PVP but also strategy. If I am solo or in a small team, it does not always seem that there would be any strategy for me/us to win the prize. Hence why I never really bothered with the Trickster Chest. Being first to the goblin is one strat, but after that it will depend heavily on how many are on your team for someone to keep the treasure. Also the reason for my question if raid groups are able to get the tokens? I also think that having more people in party should be encouraged but only so far as it does not discourage non guild players or small random teams from participating by giving a sense that maybe individuals would have a possibility of winning the prize (small chance but doable). I do not think having the owner of the treasure walking back to highsteppe will encourage this sense of possibility. The area will hopefully already be swarming with PVP players much less dodging monsters.
BTW… LOVE what is coming down the pipe and the Guild City Raid looks awesome.

1 Like

I think the thinking here might be that PVE players find the goblin and then report back to friends where to get it without worry about being killed in PVP (Please correct me if I am wrong @Quick_J). I do agree that it will be fun as a PVE player to watch battles but you can still do that even without seeing the goblin. When the warning hits, just head to the zone and a battle should ensue among random PVP players.

At the old chest many times we have 3v6,8,etc, 2v5, etc etc, And I have personally 1v3ed no invises, and have held off 1v5s wiggling down to 1v3 for long enough for team mates to arrive. Skill is a major factor deciding the outcome, numbers don’t always mean victory

I think racing for the Trickster is going to be best bet for solo folks. As long as being first doesn’t necessarily mean you get it in the end, that seems fine to me. Basically, escape options need to be limited and there needs to be a way for someone to chase you down if they’re just slightly slower.

1 Like

Completely agree. But in Oldbus the goal was to get out of the wildzone. Not saying this is what will happen, but it is mentioned that the individual or team makes it back to Highsteppe. If the goblin spawns in Wastelands, that can be a long and arduous trip. And if PVE players are out watching, they can spot who has the treasure, then follow forever without fear of being killed. The whole time reporting location / actions (although this might not happen often, the issue would be that it could). Also as you said, you have held off long enough for teammates to arrive. Without teammates is it possible for me as an individual to participate?
I am personally trying to think about increasing the overall reason to PVP for everyone and not make heavily reliant on numbers.
Edit: Just wanted to make clear that there should be advantages to numbers just not lopsided in favor of large guilds / groups. Skill helps but if I am playing as a musketeer, we know I am not going to survive long against two players or even one scoundrel as they will have “unlimited” time to chase and kill. Again, this is just a thought and I am excited to see how things work when it is launched.

1 Like

That is exactly what I was referring to. @daeresha you would still be able to watch the fight but just not see the goblin.

I mean, PVE spies wouldn’t be the worst side effect. It would mean more people can “participate” in PVP. They might even decide it looks like fun and try it out after watching. And it wouldn’t actually be that big an obstacle for a Trickster looter.

1 Like

#BringWildsBack
:cry:

1 Like

Do GRINDING or Trickster give any non-cosmetic rewards? Would love to see some drops like invisibility/masked scent potions from Trickster, for a start.

While I know development time is a factor, unique non-cosmetic rewards would be super neat. I’ve suggested an instant-aging item that could age a potion without waiting before, which seems like a fun rare drop from GRINDING. +1 equips could be a nice bonus for Trickster. Not exactly unique, but it’d be the only non-shard way to get them.

Another fancy item: Lure Sweetener. Boost the catch rate on a single lure a bunch!