New Dev Blog: Shard Dungeons Preview

At the moment you can’t replace someone who has disconnected with any form of substitute. The player appears as Unknown in the party and can’t be removed.

Would this make it posssible to leave someone logged in the dungeon so the same team could come back and try to finish it the next day if they were unable to finish it that night or something?

1000000 questions for Riley haha

I think there is a time limit on how long a dungeon instance will stay active no matter what, but I’d have to check. The trash does respawn after an hour, so I mean at that point at best you’re going to be re-clearing the whole thing and then only be eligible for loot and not a whole shard, so I’m not sure that’s a very effective strategy.

You mean permanently DC’ed as in they aren’t coming back? Or do you mean temporarily DC’ed as in they get DC’ed then they log back in a minute later?

Also I think this would make it possible if you know you can’t do the dungeon in 30 minute to send someone at his house to stack on potions and come back. Might not be that bad actually since you won’t receive a shard after the clear, but something to think of.

Essentially a permanent dc. Whenever a player is logged off the spot in the party appears as unknown which would likely drag the rest of the team down into being incapable of completing the shard in the time allotted. That player can’t be removed from party when displayed as an unknown and forces the party the be reformed outside the instance due to 10 seconds of being kicked when party composition changes within a dungeon.

Okay, well a lot of that sounds really buggy and unintended, but I’m still not clear, this player that is logged off, they are still available to come back and log back in? Or this is someone who is not coming back even after the party re-forms outside the dungeon?

Because at least when I’ve tested this in the past if someone gets DC’ed or logs out and then logs back in like 20 or 30 seconds later, they just re-join the dungeon like normal and everyone continues. In fact there’s been at least two mechanics involving resurrection and swapping classes for loot that have created some controversy lately that involve logging out and back in on a dungeon run, so it should be possible from that evidence alone. I’ve never heard of that causing everyone to have to reform outside.

However, if you’re talking about someone who permanently left for whatever reason and just isn’t coming back at all, I haven’t really tested that a whole lot. Or if you’re talking about trying to replace a slot in the party with someone new halfway through a run.

1 Like

This sounds like a whole lot of fun!
Still I share my concerns with Decoy regarding permanent DCs.
Other that I just want to test this new stuff out! Great Job!

If the player logs back in there are no issues but if for whatever reason they are incapable of logging back in within any relative time frame, that slot cannot be opened up for another to join.
Kind of walking the wire here when it comes to the ability to use this to bring in other players vs putting a halt to team progression.

Major thing is the player that is gone appears as unknown in party, that person cannot be removed from the group and you can’t invite another because the group is at capacity.

I see, okay. Just making sure I was understanding.

I will try and fix that “can’t remove Unknown party members” issue because that wasn’t really intended to be a restriction. I will give some consideration to how to handle that in Shard Dungeons.

For Shard Dungeons in particular, on the one hand I don’t really want to punish groups for a DC or someone leaving halfway through a run, on the other hand if we leave this too open then it will be a little too easy to game. Maybe we do something where like if you don’t finish the dungeon with the people you started with, you’re still eligible for loot but it’s the same as “failing” the 30 minute timer. And then in addition to that we take a snapshot halfway through the dungeon of who’s there so you can’t just have a bunch of high-level players clear it then all but one leaves and a bunch of people who couldn’t clear it can get the loot. Something like that. We’ll see.

3 Likes

Goodluck Riley :+1:t2:
The OrbusVR community leaves this in you and your team’s very capable hands :grin:

1 Like

What consists of clearing a base level Tradu Mines dungeon?
I assume just both bosses need to be cleared and mobs don’t matter.

Also there is a chance for a lvl 1 shard to be upgrade to a level 2 Wenderwood dungeon?
I assume the 2 bosses and mobs would be scaled up to be lvl 20+.

Actually you just have to kill a boss in the Tradu Mines at all. So I think we can all assume how that’s going to go. (RIP Sentry).

The Level 1 Shard can be for any of the 7 dungeons at random. Regardless of where you get it.

And yes Maeo’s Sanctum (the Wenderwood Dungeon) as well as the other “leveling” dungeons are part of the pool, they are just scaled up to Level 20 (and then further enhanced by the Shard Dungeon scaling on top of that).

7 Likes

Idk, I think potion keeper can be done marginally quicker :stuck_out_tongue:

How would one accomplish that?

5 dps, did it yesterday evening :wink:

By kiting the boss and ignoring the AoE mechanic?

1 Like

So in theory we could farm Sentry until we get a most likely favourable Maeo’s Sanctum lvl 2 shard.

Basically, it was a wild game of ping pong threat. Super fun

3 Likes

For the Level 1 shards I do expect there will be some “farming to get what I want” going on. After that point since the upgrades are random I assume people are just going to have to stick with what they get :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah is the Legendary lvl 2 and above or just above?
I would probably make it lvl 3 and above to save from exploiting