New Patch, Closed Beta Two (with Sliding Locomotion in Combat)

So first off…i really like the new sliding during combat :slight_smile:

But i noticed my collision box seems to be centered in my placspace not my headset. If i am not in the center of my space i can run through objects since the collision box is somewhere off to a side or get stuck on something that from my view i can just pass by.

Specially with combat-sliding getting stuck on something while trying to dodge an attack could be fatal :slight_smile:

(Im using a 360° setup with Controller-based forward direction + strafing)

Would it be far fetched to make it so that the stamina will instantly auto-fill, when standing in an AOE that would cause the player damage?

I know I struggle with sliding, while attempting to teleport (vive touchpad), and I’d hate to not be able to move out of an AOE because I don’t have enough stamina/teleport range to move out, because I’m struggling with the touch-pad being overly sensitive (sliding unintentionally, while trying to target with the teleporter).

I really enjoy this sliding fighting. It makes things feel more alive.

1 Like

What I’m thinking about doing is actually maybe doing like the opposite of what I did…

So maybe rather than having you move at full-speed all the time until your stamina runs out, by default you can move at a rather slow speed during combat that doesn’t use up teleport/stamina, and then you press a button (Grip?) and that “uses” your stamina while making you run faster?

I think that might work well because then you wouldn’t have to worry about accidentally using up your stamina and it’s more a resource to use to get out of an AoE rather than something that’s always being used up constantly. I’ll play around with that tonight and maybe try it out tomorrow with a new patch if I like how it feels.

4 Likes

can you please put in a toggle for sliding in combat? I can’t stand it. I keep accidentally sliding then my teleport won’t have any juice. It’s more annoying than helpful

I dont think full speed locomotion in combat is necessary at all.

If it is at a severely reduced speed, maybe about 20% normal movement, and does not drain Teleport that would be perfect.

That way you are still forced to react to AoE’s with Teleport

1 Like

my trackpad is very sensitive so if i’m in combat, the bar drains because it tries to slide me forward into the enemy i’m attacking so I can never teleport when I want to

I just released a new patch, changes:

• Aged Healing Potions should work properly now.
  • Patraeyl Knight capes should now work properly when equipped.
  • When you slide in combat, it will only use up an amount of your teleport charge equal to how far you slide. So if you just slide a little it won’t eat up your whole charge. Should prevent people with sensitive touchpads from having a bad time :smile:

Restart your Launcher to get the update.

3 Likes

Your slide change made it very enjoyable. I still slide a bit when I don’t want to, but overall it feels way better. Thanks!

Some people don’t like teleport at all. Options are a good thing if you want the playerbase to grow.

1 Like

Either way it certainly needs a toggle.

I can agree with it needing a toggle but teleportation being needed in anything is a deal breaker with a lot of people.

Nice change to sliding (having it only consume a little of your teleport charge). Works much better now. :slight_smile:

found another couple hours to test. - the new server architecture doesn’t seem to have helped my disconnects. Though the few that i had today weren’t the double dropouts like the past two days. (as in - previously i would get disconnected, login again and see my self standing there, then get disconnected again about 30 seconds later - now when i log back in it’s fine to continue playing)

I wish I could use locomotion but I get sick every time I use it. I have to use teleport. I surprised how a lot of people don’t get sick from it and jealous of that.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m all for choices but it seems odd for people to say that teleportation is just as much of a dealbreaker for them as being forced to be nauseated is for others.

Anyway, the one request I had for this (as a non-sliding player) is to have the pink bar turn off if you have sliding locomotion disabled. It’s extra UI clutter that literally never gets used in that situation.

Basically in the final version of this the stamina bar will show you (even if you don’t use sliding) how much time is left until your Teleporter recharges, which could be useful. I can certainly still add a toggle to turn it off, but I think it will be useful either way.

2 Likes

Ah ok, that makes sense, and may be handy to have in that case. Thanks for the clarification!

The current system for locomotion in combat doesn’t make sense. It may “work” but the system works COMPLETELY differently than if youd only use teleport motion, which makes it unbalanced and weird.

My suggestion would be to change the stamina bar to a ‘dodge roll’ bar. Allow movement in combat, unhindered, but a slower movement somewhere around half speed (similar to how teleport movement works in combat). Then every 6-8 seconds, the player accrues 1 dodge roll (non-stacking, only get 1 at a time). Dodge roll doesn’t accrue while the player is moving though. In order to use dodge roll, the player simply presses the teleport button (normal teleporting would be disabled in combat) in the direction it wants to roll, and it instantly teleports him half of max distance, allowing players to quickly move out of red areas without being overpowered.

This would get combat locomotion working prettymuch exactly the same as teleport motion.

You might get used to sliding eventually - first game I tried with sliding when Vive was released made me feel very ill - now i can use it in most games - OrbusVR is one that causes zero motion sickness for me even after a couple hours in game

1 Like