Off talents and there lack of change

I find myself increasingly curious with all of the class balancing, changes and fixes that have happened recently why nothing has been announced or acknowledged about the lack of viability for off talents. In my mind with the current class specific meta’s in place there is no reason for them to exist outside of preference. Most of the time if people know you’re using them they have little desire to run any sort of serious content game wise. This brings up the serious question as to why the preference is being made to focus more attention on non class related or cosmetic updates with the occasional bug fix for a class mechanic.

I want to end this with saying this is just my opinion and something that has bothered me since I started playing this game. All feedback and criticism is welcome.

I would love to hear thoughts and opinions on the subject.

as of now most of the 'balanced talents" I can think of wheres its really your choice is bard for most of them paladin and ranger. scoundrel has the 4 charge playstyle or the 3 charge playstyle which both play very differently and shaman has basically a pve and a pvp mode warrior the only real ones to compare are the sword raises imo and musketeers healing I feel like is just so high you can sorta getaway with a lot even though there are obvious better ones and mages its really just the first choice of if you want lend a hand or not true affliction sucks contamination and triplicity suck for end game runic speed doesn’t even work and shared streak can be good if there are no other mages but most of the time I find myself with other mages so I have no use running it

really depends on class.

as a paladin and ranger I actually want talents that are assigned to gear like load outs I change them so frequently. I love playing support paladin in battlegrounds and defense paladin in end game stuff. I know some bards that also switch talents regularly and also I switch occasionally between 15 and 30 m talents for ranger.

support shaman has a place too in the game even its just a matter of being creative to use it effectively within the group

there are certain talents like the slow for charged arrow on ranger that are almost never used but these talents could be just reworked

2 Likes

I think most classes have some use cases for all talents. Some less useful than others and there will always be “meta” talents.

From what I can tell the ones that don’t get picked or need an update:

Shaman: lv 30 totemic mastery? (the one that lets you pull orbs from a distance). I think this one is just always going to be worse in comparison to the guaranteed crit talent so not much can be done tbh unless it becomes a very useful utility talent for some kind of niche or off meta build.

Ranger: lv 10 improved charge, the slow on charge talent. I’ve never heard of anyone using or wanting it apart from a single case of they enjoyed the 2 second rest from firing arrows - so they didn’t even use it for a slow that is the main reason to pick it.

Lv 20 Overcharge, charging shots use up globes for extra damage. From what I understand the dps increase vs lose of globes is not worth it, especially after the dps balance changes.

Scoundrel: Lv 15 Easy mode, rank 1 shots become rank 2. I don’t personally know anyone that uses this but it seems like bad design in my opinion. I understand in comparison to the other talent it could be good if your not very comfortable on the class but I think it should be reworked to something else. The idea of ‘are you good at the class?’ chooses what talent to pick doesn’t appeal.

Lv 30 Guaranteed win, every 6th shot is a crit. Correct me if im wrong (im not a scoundrel expert), the issue is true gambler just gives more damage in comparison so this talent isn’t picked. possibly people pick it when they don’t want the increased incoming dmg but I haven’t seen many cases for that and seems people don’t switch out anyway.

Musky: Again im not an expert for this so could be wrong but I believe, Lv 20 beacon of light, whenever you heal an ally with cure wounds, nearby allies with renew active gain a portion of the healing done. this talent doesn’t get picked as the charged orb talent is so crucial to bounce healing. Musky has enough healing that the increase here isn’t needed. the people with renew are likely close enough for bounce heals already so if they need a cure the musky will just bounce a cure to everyone, 100% heal bounce cure is better than 25% non bounce cure.

Lv 30 All for one, players standing in your lifewell have their cure wounds healing increased. I don’t know of a reason to pick this over one for all that empowers the turrent with more healing, damage and range.

Bard Lv 20 sheet music, once every 10 seconds you gain credit for a missed note. This is the same issue as the Scoundrel easy mode talent. ‘Are you good at the class?’ then that decides which talent to pick and doesn’t feel like a good choice.

Mage Lv 5 static charge, your successful spell casts cause a static build up on your off hand that can be shot out for dmg. The issue with this is to shoot it you have to hold the trigger for a second preventing you from using your wand. The damage is very weak. So the choice really becomes do you want lend a hand or no talent? (when I say no talent I mean it as people just don’t pick either rather than static charge)

Lv 20 True affliction, fire and frost become DoT effects and arcane explosion spreads these DoTs. The talent on the surface is fine but once looked into for dps and use cases it becomes weaker in comparison. This would just need balancing compared to a total rework that most other talents listed would need.

Side note: Lv 15 Runic speed, your higher level spells gain a speed boost. From what I’ve heard this talent is broken currently.

Looking at the list now it seems like a lot but considering there’s 10 talents for each class, 8 classes = so 80 talents total. I listed 10 that need looking at. Yes some talent picks I left out are for niche choices but I do enjoy more off meta styles. One example would be Warrior, A lot of the choices are bad for tanking but for PVP become a viable option (although underwhelming warrior pvp is a different balance issue all together).

1 Like

I personally know someone that runs that but its just so they can “musket tank” and hold agro from the insane amount of bonus heals going out for the agro.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.