Orbus Reborn API

In regards to equipment there is no inspect option so we can’t tell whether it’s transmog or what the stats are. Via the api we can see exactly what bonuses a piece of gear has which can lead to “you need X tier gear to join”

4 Likes

Just want to re-quote this one… its just how it is. If you want public tools like this to be built, they are never going to be tailored to any one group of users needs. They are made so that people can actively engage in the game content with one another in a progressive and informative way, not shielded for any given persons gain. What happens when enchants come out that can only be gained via special quest? Suddenly a group of people may want that shielded, but really it is a buff that can be applied to equipment and thereby become a part of the equipment.

By hiding things like this we end up blocking each other off from helping each other (especially as taking a screenshot in VR can be such a headache).

There is no private information released via the orbus API; just character gear info.

If anything, having tile-sets publicly visible will increase the diversity, competitiveness, and min-maxing of them. In MMOs with millions of players there’s enough man-power to explore all possibilities and reach peak min-max potential, which everyone then just copies, but in Orbus’ small community the possibilities are not completely exhausted. Being able to see what other people are doing will help inspire new tilesets/metas by comparing and testing out their parts and potentially combining them into something new, or adapting them to one’s personal play style.

On the flip side, by seeing each others gear it can be used as a tool to help each other. The in-game LFG tool does not have ‘gear score requirements’ or anything like this so it protects the player base from being cut off.

By hiding all this and pretending gear does not exist, it actually alienates the crowd which care about progressive gear sharing.

The other benefit is that for those who care about it (probably a lot of people) it gives way for profile based ‘bragging rights’ which is totally normal in most games.

If they want help they’ll tell you their gear stats. It seems odd to peep on someone and offer help they don’t want.

2 Likes

Yes that is odd and I don’t think people are going to get random DMs on discord telling them how to improve their gear indeed.

we should have a setting on the orbus website for allow or not allow API sharing this would solve the issue very quickly, It also not the best thing to do where you cant say "no I don’t want anyone being able to access all the about my character.

1 Like

I’m cool with how the previous armory worked, but even that shows info you can’t directly view ingame, going against Riley’s dram example. It seems muddy at best

To give an example of a very popular game that uses this equipment API model; there is world of warcraft which is, the biggest grossing and most successful MMO on the planet. Here is an example of what that looks like:

That is 1 of 1000 different MMOs that have public equipment display.

As far as I know, the devs of orbus simply have not had time to make a whole equipment inspection system in game but the data is there to create useful tools for the community, hence the armory.

Maybe give it a chance to evolve before having a ‘closed doors’ approach to the whole concept?

1 Like

There are a lot of things Orbus does differently from other mmo’s. Not sure why just because everyone else does something you have to as well.

4 Likes

just because wow has something dosnt mean every other online game should or that every player wants that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Because some things others do are very successful and positive for community growth and stability.

3 Likes

but others are not so when you consider both of the games sizes for there player base

1 Like

Showing all player stats has nothing to do with growth and stability.

3 Likes

You can’t see any gear info from people walking around. Even the gear could be just a transmog, yet the affixes and tilesets.

The problem is that regular MMOs have so many players that every information (like gear builds) is immidiately public anyway, orbus has it different with much less players and less info shared so this completely makes public something that was never shared.

3 Likes

Maybe Riley can correct me on this.

I don’t understand what the argument against this actually is. So far it has sounded like children grasping at technicalities of something their parents said offhandedly. First it was tilesets, then it was all gear, what is actually the problem with this other than it feels weird to some?

People concerned about others stealing their “original tile-set (DONOTSTEAL)”?
I addressed why that information being available would actually be a good thing for min-maxing in my previous post.

People are worried that players will be excluded because of the gear on their armory?
If they are going in to a situation where someone is going to look them up, that person would just ask them anyways to see if they are geared enough.

Is there something else I’m missing? This all seems so asinine.

9 Likes

Okay, well, this thread is getting pretty busy, but I think the two viewpoints have been adequately expressed at this point. As I have already said, there is clearly a line someplace between information that should be public to everyone and what should be kept private, it has moved a little with the API changes we made, but I don’t anticipate it moving further.

We will internally discuss the issue of tilesets, and also possible some sort of opt-out option if for some reason people just don’t want this information available.

I think having data like this available to the community for people who do want to make use of it to have tools similar to the WoW Armory is fine, and we support that. However, similar to the new combat log and DPS meters, the Code of Conduct is clear on the fact that this would not be used as part of any in-game LFG posting or anything like that.

That said, I think that’s kind of a moot point, because if someone wants to say “you can only come on this run if your gear is good enough” they can just ask you to equip a piece of gear from a Raid or something in-game to verify that, so I really doubt that this specific example leads to any furthering of that behaviour.

So, yeah, thanks for the input, as I said we will discuss at our next team meeting, and look into adding an opt-out feature.

2 Likes

inc long post sorry

I very much disagree…

The only way players can get information from each other right now is by somehow bumping in to each other in game… Otherwise people do not talk to each other… By being open with who you are in the game through some equipment display it allows players to develop role models to help them become better. Right now there is a big problem in the game and a big split between the players who know the meta and the ones who don’t… As more content is released that gap is widened… To allow the player base to learn efficiently, having an open way to see others gear points people in to the right direction.

As humans, we are actively motivated by having a role model. With the state of the game now, there is nearly no way to have a role model apart from Youtube videos or seeing someone in town ‘casting really fast’ etc.

In most MMOs I have played I have usually looked towards successful strategies to better myself and others have done so to me… Sometimes they beat me at my own game which allowed me to get even better myself and add considerably more dynamics in to the game (take a recent example where we raced fireflies for top shard spots; without chatting and sharing info with fireflies, we would have never evolved on each others strategies and had such a brilliant evolution of runs). In turn these small communications build in-game relationships and solidifying a strong core community which in-turn, increases adoption rates, community health and happiness and therefore MAU growth and stickiness.

1 Like

Seems like it directly makes harassing people much easier if they lfg into a group that’s running gear checks on people.

1 Like