OrbusVR Biggest Problems - A plea for change and focus

I feel like you completely looked past what I wrote. I acknowledged the reason for no mana, it was something I’ve previously known and also acknowledged it in my response to you. Again, the op/not op-ness comes down to design choices, testing, and patching. You previously stated that a caster healer would be OP, I not only agreed that a limitless spam healer would be op, I furthermore included a type of a solution, as well as my opinion why tanking/healing is boring and why combat is not threatening. The fact that you could solo heal 40 people is bad in my opinion. I am familiar with Ragnarok, I played it at release. Imagine then how easy it would be to heal 1 person if you can heal 40. You also wrote previously that a caster healer would overshadow bard/musketeer, but then you almost seem to support being able to heal 40 people in Ragnarok. I personally don’t want op healers. I want balanced healers so that taking damage has meaning, creating challenge. I want that healer to not be bored out of their mind, and have opportunity to improve. “Artificial Limiters” are necessary for balance. They need to be complex in design. There needs to be a calculable ceiling, not reachable by humans though. It needs to be challenging and worthwhile. If your “Artificial Limiter” is incredibly basic, then the design is crap.

This all said, I no longer have the desire to pump out well detailed explanations/essays. My opinion is out there.

It has not.

I even included:

:man_shrugging: Arguing about points of drastic changes to be fair, seems to me to be a bit off topic, could even start another thread maybe to argue your guy’s points.

Edit: another thing

Pretty sure this was for allowing others to expand on the issues on hand (Lets try to understand the idea behind this and not the literal meaning), and if any changes are controversial enough to even have an argument it should be a suggestion(thread) on its own. Dy-sync is a bad bug that should be fixed and I doubt anyone would argue against it. Talking about what the classes do as an argument and talking about changing the classes are very controversial. If you feel like it’s a big issue I think it’d be better to start another thread, like i said 9 out of the 14 points were just fixing the game breaking bugs.

And I suppose it’s an opinion as you pointed out that you don’t think that the thread has been shifted into another direction, but as I see it this thread has been derailed.

4 Likes

I played preborn, I played the beta (the quality of the scoundrel/paladin/bard turned me away pretty hard), and have come to again check on the content. I am still disappointed with the lack of meatier content in the areas I described. I have already quit twice. Asking for critical bug fixes in a video game is like asking for food/water/air/shelter IRL. It’s necessary. I did try to reel it back before Getsu/Reyterra began to comment.

These types of ideas have been the topic of threads numerous times in the suggestions forums, just like many of the bug report threads that this thread highlights. Simply filter to suggestions and search for the text “class” and scroll down, for example. Class choice & combat variety is a highly requested topic. There are often agreeable repeat ideas across these threads, not just one-off player flavors.

Correct, and a huge chunk of what I wrote perfectly falls in line with:

• Bad exp from mob grinding (forced to do quests and missions for leveling up).
  • Bad and unorganized loot from grinding (no clear loot progression until end game).
  • No engaging solo/small group content outside of dungeons
  • No clear reason to explore / be immersed in the OrbusVR world

There is absolutely little room to expand upon simple bug topics:

• Random desyncs (game breaking)
  • Random crashes in the middle of boss fights (game breaking)
  • Weapons just stop working mid combat causing wipes or loss in damage. (game breaking)
  • Lack of true progressive PvE content other than raids and dungeons (right now it just feels like a dungeon runner).
  • Disappearing health bars
  • Spells persistently staying in game
  • Spell initialization causing lag
  • Losing frame rates after a few fights.
  • Pally aggro issues (nearly unusable class at high level end game) (game breaking).
  • Stuck combat bugs (game breaking)

These problems state themselves very obviously. Even with the above bugs fixed, this game lacks content and has design flaws that over time pushes me towards quitting. I am absolutely not alone, many players have the same frustrations to include both active players/players who have quit. Look at a population chart. That’s fine if it’s not the case for you. My original intent was not to come off so harsh, the game has some bright spots, but extended writing is causing me to write more bluntly. At this point I’ve already written everything I have major gripes about.

:man_shrugging:

As I said previously, if the bug fixes were this important (number of names on the list is enough proof there), then they likely would have already addressed them if they had the knowledge of how to do so. However, most, if not all, of these problems are present in all MMOs nowadays. You will get random disconnects and crashes, you will get graphical bugs, you will get audio bugs (outgoing too, in the rare cases it’s built into the game like here), and to petition them to solve modern problems on a completely standalone platform, imo, is somewhat excessive.

You later mentioned mana again, so I thought you overlooked it.

I never said OP. I intended to say unbalanced, in the same way that runemage is to other DPS. Things would adjust (musky shoots more than once per second, bard pulses more frequently, etc.) to compensate, but it would take more time and coding, which is presumably being used for bugfixes.

Artificial limiters are why my 20 clicks per second weren’t useful after ragnarok, aside from starcraft and tap titans.
Not to mention, a DPS of comparable player skill could pull off the equivalent of such. What mattered was the skill curve, same as here, which is the point I was trying to get across.
I’d personally rather no artificial limiters at all, as seen with runemage, so that the character’s capabilities scale with the player’s skill, not “statistically, type A DPS can only put out X DPS under ideal conditions which makes them inferior to type B DPS, so we should never allow type A DPS in our party.”

Agreed, it hasn’t we’ve either been discussing the original topic, or Ian’s biggest reasons that has put him off from playing.

Outside of a few things posted above that I’ve already mentioned, I’ve said all I wanted to about my few very minor reasons to not want to play. They don’t give me anywhere near enough reason to stop, however, which may put me in the minority here, but I’ve given my input and stayed on topic.

These are all carryovers from modern MMOs, much like the bugs.

And you’ll have to pardon my lateness in replying and much shorter answers, as I spent roughly half of the last two days driving cross country.

EvErY tHiNg Is FiNe.

5 Likes

I just want to play a single session without a game breaking bug that requires an entire relaunch ;;~;;

I’ve played a ton of runemage, and mostly teach new players how to cast. I’m level 30 and can cast like crazy, so i’ve spent quite a bit of time on this game. Even with that said, the likelyhood of me jumping ship when a new VRMMORPG comes out is pretty high.

I have stayed quiet on this thread but I am going to have to disagree with you completely on this point.

This week i have been playing wow classic in my down time. I did not once get any of the problems in my list. This is an MMO that was built in 2004 and they swiftly fixed issues in the first month of release. The vanilla re-release for the most part, is completely bug free.

So no, all other MMOs do not have this problem. After playing WoW classic for 3 days I was reminded of hundreds of little amazing details in mechanics which orbus also just… doesn’t have. I can look past that as Orbus is a first of its kind… but i cannot look past bugs which should not be happening.. I was also a software engineer for 8+ years so I know that the list of my problems should be easily solvable if the architecture of the game is cleanly wrote.

No, all other MMOs do not have these problems

Thanks.

1 Like

I can agree to disagree here.
I haven’t played WoW classic, but every MMO to date that I’ve played has had these issues.

And while I don’t doubt your experience with coding, but the limited amount (less than a year, so far less than you) of coding knowledge I have, I don’t know how to fix these issues. If you do have knowledge of how to fix them, you could send the base coding to them to build from (obviously not going to ask you to code for them for free if you do it professionally), or a sample from a forum, or a video, most anything to help it along rather than just posting a petition. Even if they don’t use it, they may explain why, which could lead to more progress and transparency to make everyone happy.

I want the old orbus back!

1 Like

We did a 3 hour raid earlier and here are the issues we had as a group

• Healer not seeing pools on boss 5 x2
  • Tanks seeing shields broken when not x3
  • Connection closed remote host
  • Crash to desktop
  • Crash at graveyard
  • Desync
  • Healer seeing tank that died as still alive
  • Desync going to graveyard
  • Not seeing AoE on boss 2 - multiple people multiple times
  • No health bar on adds on Boss 4 - almost every attempt
14 Likes

LOTRO had these issues in some zones for quite a while. The 32-bit system had major issues with large memory loads on their more compacted and heavy texture zones… So after 2 years of complaints, they just recently went beta on a 64-bit system. :man_shrugging: so it did take a long while

Edit: not to say that this isn’t hella bad. It’s worse in VR, because everything is much harder and takes physical coordination. Also there’s way more of it in Orbus than there ever was in LOTRO

Bumping this up

5 Likes

Bumping this up again.

2 Likes

I am saying Bump!!!

Thanks for bumping this. I have been out on a business trip for a few weeks.

I just want to take something from another thread that ChaseChair said regarding an inconsistency in game mechanics.

This is hitting the nail on the head for a lot of outstanding problems.

As part of my day job I put together strategy decks, help companies focus on highest impact cases and stuff like that to help them succeed.

Last week I had a case very closely related to Orbus’ situation (but for a different industry). It was simply put, an issue of post-conversion-funnel (getting the user in to the game and past level 10 lets say) retention.

The issue was a lack of user empowerment through transparency of feature set that is simply put; What the user sees is not what the user expects…and this seems to happen in many places throughout the game.

It really rung home for me with Orbus as a good example. Here is the gist of it;

For example in boss 5 you might have… multiple pools showing up and the non-broken implementation where there are only 2 pools showing. If you can provide both transparency to the user of what a features intention is and also make sure that users are empowered to take advantage of that, than you hit the sweet spot of an excellent experience. If it sits on either the far left (broken) or far right (it works but its not clear why), then you are failing at empowering your users.

The result of incorrectly getting this balance is 1) anxiety, 2) negative emotional stimulus causing negative responses

3 Likes

Oh ****. He broke out the circle graph.

That’s how you know you’re talking to someone who does it professionally.
(Not trolling, just legitimately surprised. Lol.)

It is called a Venn Diagram bra :wink:

1 Like

As opposed to the Push Up Bra

5 Likes

:rofl: I have an inappropriate NSFW meme that I cannot link for this. hint: ‘Yo bra, do you even lift?’

2 Likes

Bump

10char