OrbusVR Biggest Problems - A plea for change and focus

I think your biggest problem, is that you do not have enough of the community to back your request. These devs need to feed thier families and this isnt a subscription based game, so whatever to make the initial sale is more important, otherwise they will close down and then everyone loses. They need to create enough content to justify the price and then they can get to bugs. This is Warframe all over again.

My suggestion, is that you and everyone else who ever buys the game, get to the end game, play a couple of raids and then move on. Come back in five years and see what happens.

Why do you think they wont even dignify your request with a response?

• “Dignify your request with a response” (99% sure they are being tactful and don’t want to engage in a touchy subject area in a public forum space.)
  • “These devs need to feed their families” (Given previous works I can only assume at least lead dev is not yet approaching starvation - if you are starving let me know & I will send pizza)
  • “Isn’t a subscription based game” ( I wish it was TBH, because $ = devs = features/bug fixes. Declining subscription = urge to produce more desirable content / attract players, etc. Subscription games -might- be impossible for a VR market right now though? Requests for options to pay the dev’s has been a thread which has appeared more than once. I bought dono items, my brother a copy, my copy, and would gladly fork over more money - especially if the future development was intended to fix core issues & bugs & develop majority-community requested features, ie, flesh out classes for example / address any totally useless class abilities)
  • “Is that you do not have enough of the community to back your request” (Which community do you refer to? Nobody has posted about broken audio, and all the other bugs? The Orbus community hasn’t showed support many of the various topics in here? To include with voting polls? An example of something which was addressed, disabling combat sprinting took maybe a year to add and had been a topic of threads several times Vote for who likes combat sprint)

This thread would not exist if the players didn’t care about the game. With additional competition (pre-orders = financial investment) coming around the horizon, it’s a clear attempt to try and repair the connection between player / future game development. I do see that a number of players get pretty salty on here, but it’s obvious that they want Orbus to succeed. Honestly, most people just want anyone to succeed. But people have become at the least somewhat invested in Orbus, the devs, their characters, this community. This thread is not a bashing, but “a plea for change and focus” (literally the title).

“My suggestion, is that you and everyone else who ever buys the game, get to the end game, play a couple of raids and then move on. Come back in five years and see what happens.”
Your suggestion is not a solution to game-breaking bugs which also affect raids… and naturally if Orbus was good in 5 years people would come back. You are also suggesting that both new players and players who would like their issues fixed in the near future to just quit after a couple of raids. New players will do whatever they want when they feel they’ve run out of content, and the people who are making comments in here are already telling you that they are are teetering on quitting - hinging on how the near future plays out, or have already mostly checked out. I just wanted write back to you what you wrote so that you’d read it.

Go walk to random players at level 30 and ask them how they think the game can be improved. Ask them what are the worst bugs they’ve encountered. The random conversations I have with other players about the game, all different people & at different time periods, are repeatedly the same conversations. IMO you are over-applying empathy, comparing this to some “familiar” event with a different game with difference circumstances, and not applying enough logic.

As someone who has interacted as a dev/gm with players (not orbus), I personally appreciate thread like these. It’s not something you want to see on your doorstep, but it’s ground-truth. Better than players providing no feedback and going to greener pastures without a word. The real question is how, with such a community, that some of these issues have persisted for such duration after being reported(sometimes numerous times)? Even if not all of the community is behind every listed idea, though I would strongly argue swaths of the population are behind, there are most certainly issues up there that can not be contended against (ie, game breaking, rage inducing, bugs). To not stab in the eye, I will acknowledge that since coming back I have definitely noticed the devs acknowledging/responding/fixing many reported bugs, sometimes very quickly. Typically the very simple bugs.

Naturally such a thread does not include all of the things people love about Orbus, the features which have been added, and so forth.

If you think that the people commenting here aren’t acquainted with the community…

The dev’s have the most though, about double any player I think :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I know this is back-to-back post, but this post is totally separate.

I would also advocate that a literal in-game roundtable / direct communication between dev/players could be good? With maybe a kick-hammer tool prepared for any potential random unbehaved? Maybe an in-game talking stick / AoE silence on players not holding the talking stick (lol). Just to directly exchange ideas, assuming audio does not cut out (lol). Or to take volunteer counselors (basically powerless GMs) to exchange player/dev info as in-game entities?

Just wanted to highlight what the current roadmap is, the current focus, and how that relates to this thread. As well as offer my thoughts out loud for the current roadmap.

Here’s the current roadmap, which looks quite good:

Looking a little further ahead, we are excited to start giving more information about what will be coming out before and during Content Patch 1. We are excited to put out two new dungeons before the content patch, along with the second Raid, Tinkerer class, as well as the first phase of player house customization in the content patch coming out later this fall.

See, as an IRL engineer the Tinkerer(by it’s name alone) sounds amazing. Absolutely. I love play tinker/engineering type of classes. However, the second thing that comes to my mind is that it’s going to be a class as simple as musky/pally/scoundrel. If it is, then I won’t be very excited and probably won’t play/level it seriously. Prove me wrong? Have some kind of advanced play/interaction where players can develop skill in a fun/challenging way, and not just throwing down like turrets etc? Also, rather than new classes, I think revitalizing existing classes, adding new features/class questlines to unlock new features, specializations, etc would be quite favorable. Something to add excitement for each class. I would personally still easily merge Scoundrel into Musketeer, Paladin into Shaman, and just translate items/xp, for example. Then expand warrior, add finishing touches to runemage to address bad spells/some ruined talents, and create totally new features for rangers which I’ve talked about a bit in my post history. Other examples of class excitement might be like instead of a simple legendary drop, there’s an associated legendary questline with the item? Combining rare materials? It might even need group/guild assistance to complete? Second raid is very good, player housing modification also sounds potentially really cool. Especially if you can get some kind of economy interaction with rare placeable house items, or craftables, etc. Maybe even let us place down chests to help organize storage, etc. I’m not sure the housing is what players want most right now across the board, but depending it could be a fairly well received feature. You have to ask yourself: What does this give players? How much content(hours of entertainment) will this give each player? Can I pimp my house out in 3 hours, 30 minutes? Is it a horrible grind that will take me weeks to get anywhere? What can the player do with the house? Will this interact with other parts of the game (like rare hunting, crafting, gathering, raiding, special events like the fall event(option to permanently be rewarded a pumpkin alchemy table? Monkey in a cage for catching monkies? IE re-use the asset that already exists. Other critters?)? What level of customization is available (uniqueness/variety a player can choose from to differentiate from other players / allow a player to make effort in making a unique, or somewhat unique creation)? Can a player buy a different house, that uses a different door? Maybe a “richer” house? Or maybe they just like the 2nd story view? This also could add value/meaning to dram, say if the richest house cost like 500k dram and was massive in size. Can they have their dragon run free in the house within a certain space, play with/feed them? Can the player buy/farm a rare utility item like a pillar & teleport to their house (but perhaps not out of their house?). What about a fish tank where the players can put fish they catch in it? Or trophy fish plaques? A small garden to grow some harvestable plants or just for deco? A display to show your guild emblem, if you had one? Can other players enter their home to come see other players houses? Are there social interactions available in the house, like a dueling pit, a game of giant darts, a mini-mage tournament, dragon racing? etc. Can a player make their house public so that anyone can visit if they type the players name in to some kind of door-prompt (or like knock on the door to bring up the prompt)? Can the owner set chests to public/private(friends/co-owners/same-account-characters) to give out free goodies or share items with friends? Or take live-alchemy lessons? Or a good way to trade items with your alt? This all very much depends on how much time you’d want to spend on housing lol, but above are all features for example that I think would be cool/worthwhile(maybe not giant darts lol, although I would play!). A fleshed out system, rather than the bare-bones of a system that isn’t quite complete. I see the roadmap says that it’s phase 1 of housing. The above is just examples of stuff, if housing were a priority then what kind of features would be appealing to a player that is like myself. Something like a dueling pit, dragons running around, and aquariums though would fall quite low on my list of things that are currently most important to me.

Along with this new content we are also pushing out bug fixes on a regular basis, along with some longer term bug fix goals including fixing class issues, continuing to work on improving voice chat in game, fixing fellowship logs, adding an in game way to report bugs and send output logs on PCVR and Quest, and more!

• bug fixes goals!
  • improving voice chat (also voice chat bugs?)!
  • In-game bug reporting (probably will be different, but I am a big fan of this - especially for VR)

This upcoming patch sounds like a good patch for someone like me depending on:
1] The number/type of bugs fixed
2] How enjoyable/not-enjoyable, strong/weak, simple/complex the tinkerer class is.
3] If the housing rocks my socks somehow, and has some really cool features that tie into a variety of other aspects of the game.
4] The raid is not crazy bugged and has good mechanics, challenging, and rewards cool items. Bonus points for a cool environment/immersion/visuals/audio and anything else that could add flavor.

1 Like

After the raid was ironed out, its actually not that bad. It is kinda fun… and actually allowing us to help them test it before official release REALLY made a big difference so I am glad they did that. All the other content (excluding dungeons) is flat for most end-gamers.

However this is not the biggest problem… It is the bugs that have been around forever that are killing the enjoyment in the game right now. The cold hard truth is that if these game breaking bugs are not addressed, it will not be as easy for OrbusVR to compete with other VRMMO titles and I really wish that they would get those foundations polished and out the way.

2 Likes

It’s actually going to be a crafting profession, similar to alchemy/lure crafting and whatnot. Not a combat class.

I’m really hoping this works very well once implemented. The hassle of stopping what your doing, especially in shards with time constraints, to go to your PC grab the combat logs/output log then open up emails and send them with a description of the issue is painful. They mentioned how it should have more in depth tracking to hopefully find the cause of bugs quicker and easier (hopefully i didn’t dream that). Things like crashing, that I personally seem to be one of the worst for, doesn’t even give crash logs for me. I’ve tried emailing the Devs multiple logs and descriptions of whats happening and they really tried to fix it but just couldn’t as nothing shows the cause in the logs.

Crashing is definitely the biggest issue IMO.

2 Likes

Your reply, is the epitome of the perfect reply for those who are not trolling. Bulleted points. Each issue addressed in well mannered and intelligent response, some with proof of what your stating. No emotions leaked, accidentally or otherwise. WOW. I’m impressed.

I understand Everything you said and am aware of all the issues. I was suggesting such because I can not think of any other reason the dev’s are ignoring your pleas. These issues have persisted from the beginning and they have yet to do nothing. As you stated there have been numerous posts about these bugs over the years.

I have contacted many companies and informed them of the incorrect trajectory they are taking and how to correct it so their companies will not fail. Only to watch as they suddenly close shop due to bankruptcy. And I can never figure out why they didn’t listen.

I feel for you all and have the same wishes for this game, but if they will not reply to this thread, it just shows where they are. This is not a sensitive issue. It is a simple one. “sorry all, we will get to work on these bugs and keep you informed” is all it takes. I just don’t want you guys to waste your time with a company who really doesn’t care. I want to see you all in a better newer VR game that will listen to the community. YOU ALL deserve better than this. Good luck guys!

2 Likes

It’s actually going to be a crafting profession, similar to alchemy/lure crafting and whatnot. Not a combat class.

Ah, weird they called it “class.” Thanks!

I mean, I don’t know that they are (totally) ignoring these requests given the roadmap. There’s a balance to be struck though between totally new development & enriching the current game / bug fixing.

1 Like

Used to be a ‘fishing’ class before reborn, so another non-combat class makes sense, really.

I did consider that but he said “like alchemy” as well, and since fishing has since been reduced to a tool the meaning of the word “class” here was not immediately transparent to me.

The exact word they use is “discipline” actually, but they use it the same way you’d use class. The different classes in Orbus are called “battle disciplines”.

oh misread what you wrote. Yes classes = battle discipline here. I’ll accept that but it will confuse any player who has ever played any rpg.

Fair enough.

Though I was personally surprised that reborn didn’t have crafting classes already, since that and gathering classes are often what I go for, and just play a healer to get dungeon materials so I don’t have to pay for them.
But also, to be fair, this is literally them breaking new ground for gaming, so them not being able to code a dozen classes, crafting and gathering classes, and a ton of other stuff that’s common in other MMOs, imo, is completely understandable.
Personally I think they’ve done a better job than any corporations could have, since they would have given classes no depth, made everything an excessive grind, and somehow jammed loot boxes into it.

Personally I think they’ve done a better job than any corporations could have, since they would have given classes no depth, made everything an excessive grind, and somehow jammed loot boxes into it.

hmmm I’m not sure our interpretation of that statement is the same. Runemage has some depth. Unless by “classes” you mean crafting. The activity of crafting with alchemy itself is cool. Though alchemy as a total system has a small handful of major problems.

Alright, allow me to elaborate then.

Each class has at least some depth to it. While runemage is far and away the one that requires the most practice, every class requires at least some (often at least double digit) hours of practice to learn to utilize to its fullest potential. Even if you were to give new players a level 30 of a class, if you put them side by side with an experienced player, there’s going to be a drastic distance regardless of class.
Opposingly, you have more classic WoW-type combat where you simply mash rotation, watch for procs for cooldown skills, and move around for mechanics. Legitimately, at one point over 90% of the player base would simply use macros (before a very popular one was banned, along with a large amount of the player base that used it) to just have the program run the dungeon for them because the skill curve was so minimal for every class, because nearly every class played the same as each other.
Here is the exact opposite: warrior and paladin, despite both being tanks, have very different mechanics, balancing issues aside; DPS each have their own niche to micromanage; and the healers I don’t think could be more different, even if I don’t ever plan on playing a bard. Lol.
And while this game has reward caches, they’re not the sole requirement for progression, unlike most AAA titles nowadays. Hence also part of the reason I stepped away from console gaming into VR.

TLDR: I have to mostly agree to disagree personally.

The battle disciplines to me are dirt simple. The battle disciplines might come off as more complex because the medium is VR and not a keyboard with hundreds of usable key-combinations and macros. Combat complexity is something important to me, I liked to be engaged when I fight. I enjoy risk and getting that adrenaline flowing. Raid fights will at the least get your attention active, but even then I don’t exactly feel threatened at any point in the fight. I don’t feel the urge to try and speed my DPS up. Death also has no cost whatsoever in raids or dungeons, other than losing the time you spent/pots(and resources are abundant besides the fish- but pots last an hour). Unbending is also a terrible idea, it was only kind of fair when every mechanic 1 shot you. It’s fine that some mechanics do that. There are some effects that do not immediately kill you now, which is nice. I personally would enjoy seeing something akin to a bullet hell on some of the hardest bosses, where your failures/successes have consequences, with people tasked to doing multiple things and maybe some everyone-dps-the-boss all at once phases. Healing/Tanking is eyhhhhh in this game, imo. Why? Because there are no resources, only cooldowns. As long as your healer/tank can endure hell itself, and the DPS can keep up with simple mechanics/not get 1-shot, you will achieve victory. True the longer you take, the longer you are rolling the dice someone will slip. I am anti bullet-sponge. Reasonable scaling is important. New players need weaker enemies as they learn, and experienced/better geared players will destroy unscaled enemies. It’s desirable to have mobs that are not pushovers, but the challenge in advanced gameplay should come from evolving, interesting, mechanics not from taking 1000 more unnecessary hits with the strongest weapons available in game. I enjoy “fair randomness” or “reactive gameplay” where you can’t simply just predict what is -exactly- going to happen & when, but the event is also not going to just 100%->0% wipe your group flat out for bad RNG. Situations where the players must be aware & react, rather than purely predict & plan. A degree of randomness throws a wrench in your plans and challenges the group to recover or suffer from it. Not every fight needs this. This exists to some extent… but usually in uninteresting ways(adds healing the boss, floating blue balls, line-attack might come from 1 of 2 directions from the same origin point). It’s not highly engaging, often you don’t even to really move, and the mechanics usually aren’t chronologically close together. There’s also few times that mechanics overlap. One example of where they do, the 2nd boss of airship, you might hop in the green circle & he shotguns at the same time (a bad spot, since ur tank just moved there too). Cool, you might want to hesitate jumping in there & this will apply pressure/quick decision making to you. VR combat should flow and be immersive, the current gameplay for feels little different to me here than being on a keyboard where I am mostly idle and DPSing down with a simple rotation, occasionally dodging some mechanic or killing an add.
Even the world events, like the shoot-the-shielded-mobs with a catapult have interactables that allow you to engage your environment for some light VR immersive purpose. Go ahead and throw explosives at me, shoot arrows at my head, throw a boomerang, charge forward at quick speeds, burrow underground(worms), explode on-death(instead of waiting to slowly explode… why not explode immediately upon death & just deal less damage(that isn’t 1/2 ur hp?)? So I don’t have to wait like 5 seconds…), perform a charge-up attack I can physically dodge IRL / hamstring or slow me so I can’t just TP-dodge everything? Or a move-while-charging attack rather than standing still every time? Rather than shield an enemy, why not enlarge/buff the damage of an enemy for a different kind of threat? Disarm my weapon (make it translucent?) for X seconds? Make a barrier that absorbs ranged attacks, or a barrier that absorbs magic damage & forces me to swap targets (if I am a mage)? How about an AoE damage buff that goes onto an enemy and punishes any players standing near the mob (and its just more dmg for the tank to eat?) How about knockback? If it were a slower knockback effect, would it really be that disorienting (I am fairly non-disoriented by VR, so maybe for some?) Bring back those good old line attacks either instantly doing damage or acting like a beam/ray attack. Or AoE effects like the ghost people from preborn that you have to get out of, just don’t make it red-zone/insta damage like it used to be… we have the technology in reborn (and it’s great!). Throw some sticky tar under my feet that momentarily prevents movement/teleportation or eats away at my stamina quickly, down to like 25%(or maybe even 0%). I liked how terrifying tigers were with their leap attack and their damage output. Why not add an actual leap-effect(that is, there is movement to be seen, not teleportation)? If I were a new player, and a tiger literally leaped at me from a bush and destroyed my face I would probably poop my pants. In preborn I was always very aware of my surroundings and looking for tigers. More smaller bleed effects, not just curable poison? Reduce my armor? Reduce my magic resist? Add an occasional annoying mob that has bad threat handling, sort of like the shard affix, to keep the tank on their toes? An alert patrol mob in raids that has low hp, and if it sneaks up on you and sets off the alarm, you are gonna have a bad time? These types of abilities, alone for example the tar ability, may not seem so threatening. But then you begin to pair them. -oh- this enemy group can AoE snare me, and do a crazy AoE… I really better not get snared! Furthermore you can begin to code in advanced logic for these pairings. For this group, if in the same group an enemy has the tar ability, for shard level 5+, wait rnd(0, $difficulty) seconds for the tar ability to go down before using the AoE ability if the tar ability is up within 3 seconds, else just use it whenever as normal. Or the mob that doesn’t hold aggro, now it’s been buffed with the AoE damage effect & has ran to your backline. The players must react & deal with the situation. Players start to think more carefully about CC/interrupt, timing cooldowns, dodging/positioning, kill order… etc (strategy/thought/involvement is born). Open world lootable chests, maybe even picklocking, and mimics? How about the occasional polymorph, that is, you turn into a chicken/toad whatever (3rd person view? or 1st person? not sure how others would feel about this - 1st person = disorienting? 3rd person = non immersive? I’d personally be okay with having a sudden 1st person view as a chicken. Maybe you can give them a screen effect first or like shrink them down to size gradually [from the player’s perspective, instant to others]). How about an enemy shaman and you can destroy their totems? How about weapon-parrying vs melee attacks as a warrior that reduces your damage rather than nullify it, gaining extra riposte damage on your next attack & just to not over-rely on the shield? How about more interesting talents/arrows for archers, maybe even let them equip more than a few arrows? Maybe their arrows are changed for X seconds rather than just a single shot? Like an arrow-specialist, as opposed to the now nerfed speed-shooter(that some players previously enjoyed) and the slow-shooter ranger. For dungeons, like airship, instead of slowly getting portals on your ship, why not have a badass ship-fight shooting cannon shots/running cannonballs(that is someone runs a cannon ball to it, you chuck it in, and like light a fuse with a torch-object while grabbing the cannon & aiming it), where you can actually miss your shots, all while they shoot those little arrow things at you (from the portal event) on top of crap teleporting on your ship? If you fail, the dungeon resets (rather than hitting respawn and just re-attacking the next group, or what’s left of it…). The enemy is trying to kill you & damage your cannons, they are shooting at your ship and damaging the hull. You can impede their progress by damaging their cannons with your cannons. Maybe you end up getting boarded by boss #1 (and you are still being shot at, ie you need to kill the boss quick and continue some mechanics in the meantime), then having to board their ship for the last fight (thats more than you being simply teleported, for example flying over them and being dropped onto their ship or gliding over to it / over some cool scenic battle & landscape.) Then to finish the dungeon you scuttle their ship and bounce on back over to yours, watching it crash/burn/explode whilst exchanging fist bumps and collecting your loot. Or how about in the Jungle (which is typically a really dangerous place) add more environment effects? A dense forest area with mobs that blend in, hp bars not showing. Bog creatures that lie underneath the bog, popping out to attack you as you explore an a particular swamp area of a map. Standing in the bog lowers your max stamina & stamina regen by 50%. Spiders that drop down from above (ie I am just listing ambush mechanics…). Though you might learn quick and get a hint when you enter a specific kind of area. “Weird, all this spiderweb…but where are the spiders?” - “oh.” Have the spider cave be very dark, and add a torch/lantern tool, and give use to the light potion/light spell. Be able to burn cobwebs with the torch(or fire effects, like fireball/fire rain arrow, or slashing with a sword), or if you walk through them you get a slow-effect applied to you temporarily(maybe even aggro for certain webs.) Fighting a variety of mobs, to include jungle themed mobs in preborn was more interesting than more stick people in the first zone. If anywhere, the stick people actually make more sense in the jungle (in addition to other mobs though), and the first zone feels out of place. I get the lore, to some extent, why they are there but the end result is just weird altogether.

This is just a stream-of-consciousness post of random ideas, may not every idea above is gold or even -exactly- what I’d want, given more extensive thought, but they to provide a general sense of ideas that I think are good.

It’s a lot of personal preference, but I am very a combat oriented player. I think combat in this game is incredibly simple. I very much enjoy the VR aspect to it, physically swinging a sword and such. I just wish that the combat & class building wasn’t so simple. I’d at-least have reloading mechanics for scoundrel, but really a lot more. I’d have different weapons & combos / playstyles for warrior. I’d have sets of additional spells or spell-effects to pick from for mages with clear advantages & use-cases where one simply does not dominate the other because one ability is either so bad or niche(aka, “you are a bad mage for taking that poop ability”). Want to be a very single DPS oriented mage? How about some support spell options? How about mechanics where those support spells look valuable (because basically only DPS matters as long as ur tank/healer can survive)? Honestly why not at this point just have a caster-healer specialization w/mana that can’t fireball etc? A different set of spells, maybe altogether or partially. I might want to heal but musketeer and bard(especially, in it’s current state) both are not appealing. I might want to play warrior but I may want to do more than use a sword, spam all the day few very basic combos, and maybe not use a shield? Like a DPS warrior, with hammers, dual wielding, spears? etc. This variety gives players the ability to find something they like, and play a variant which resonates with them, & not every player is the same. They get to play around/explore the combinations of things and grow into their own playstyle. Shamans can’t move, why not let them hold a totem in their hand? I literally could go on forever. All this does is simply enrich the game and add options to enjoy the game. In the Orbus VR trailer, you can see people ducking/dodging enemy attacks, I think even multiple times? To be fair I’ve never tried ducking under the cyclops laser… I’ll have to try that (but probably die immediately instead?). Why not make the cyclops spin faster and actually make this a mechanic? Maybe he does that AOE ability on 1/2 the platform (so you will die if you try to get behind him) and then he does the laser, with a wider laser, and basically force you to duck? Perhaps rocks start falling from the ceiling (and telegraphing on the floor) while he laser beams, not in a circle, but aimed at a random player (with speed) & leaves a burning effect on the floor momentarily that damages players standing in it. The beam doesn’t instantly kill, but it does high damage very quickly. The player being chased has to be mindful to not get other players hit whilst dodging themselves. If they stand right next to the cyclops to run tight circles and allow players to stand behindd them(as this would be a cheese strategy), have the cyclops whack them in the face for standing too close and do like 50% their hp a hit while still chasing them with the laser. Maybe add some of these features as a higher level shard mechanic (shard 5+?). Also @ the trailer there’s a guy smacking away at harvesting as if the distance/speed of his swing actually mattered at all (it doesn’t). I very non-immersively lightly tap whatever it is I am harvesting, and if it’s ore I just kind of shake my hand at it and it’s still “1 swing.”

Lastly there must be the carrot, the reward. Combat itself should be fun, in some games combat is also the reward. Orbus is an RPG, there is loot & progression not just combat. If I can simply go farm the easiest creatures, and my RPG goal is to farm dram or some resource, I am probably going to optimize my farm which could include killing easier creatures. This is a bad formula if this is the case for every item I’d want. There needs to be reward/advantage, to include unique rewards(over killing regular or weaker mobs) for taking on more challenging content(like preborn wilds/abberations - as a single 1 example). For example, in preborn, people often grouped up at like level 16, etc to take down the level 20 worms for XP & loot (when dungeon loot/xp was poor). Now you are just handed the best weapon from one of the first chests you get while leveling up. You can even choose to not explore new areas and just do dailies/events. Valuable loot should not be so easily handed out, otherwise it loses all meaning. It removes goals/activities when you are simply handed everything you want. It’s like entering a cheat code in a game that just gives you everything, what is the fun in that? This includes increased chances at rare drops, certain rare drops altogether, unique rare drops (specific loot tables), increased dram, xp, naturally the grinder applies here (it will go to higher levels with elites), weapon/armor upgrades & rarity, quests requiring elite kills, and the reward of fighting more challenging enemies(in addition to the other benefits) / if you are grouped then social interaction. If you were grouped doing weaker content, it becomes boring because you will just demolish everything. Harder content that favors groups inspires social interaction, friend making, conversation while you farm, guild recruitment, information sharing, literally anything involving multiple players which is a fundamental component to mmorpgs. I farmed my J-for-jester item with a musketeer because [a] it made sense and [b] it was more fun to hang out with a friend. If I were 1-shotting all those mobs, and they were super easy to solo, why would I want someone in my group when my overarching goal is to farm the rare item(and in this case, non-tradeable so even worse). To clarify, it’s okay to have some rares which can be collected solo, but it’s imperative to require groups as well to obtain some rare or sought after items. To do harder content(or to do it more efficiently), you will want to be better at your class & seek better gear. The entire cycle of personal development/taking on harder content feeds into itself. Also, specific loot-tables/rares give value to all encounters. You might prefer killing stick people as fast as you can, but if you want -specific item here- you are gonna have to go out of your way and kill that other mob too. Suddenly your crypt +# is more valuable to you than your broken halls shard(which is super easy) because you can only loot some specific cosmetic you want out of crypt +#. Maybe the item is tradeable, so people who already have it are also interested in taking a crack at getting it. Maybe the item is consumable, so there is a repeat reason to go.

You could say I have high standards, maybe I do? I’ve met many other players who share similar standards and desire to see this kind of content in a VRMMO. This kind of content doesn’t appear overnight, but the kind of stuff I am describing is indeed possible for a game like Orbus without any kind of major performance hit even for quest users. I don’t think we are so limited. Now, put 60 people together at a world boss…and yes, but that is already the case.

People like J, from what I’ve derived, just want the gamebreaking bugs fixed(and some content like rare loot). I think that is the natural case for all players. What I’ve written in my posts is what I’d describe as the biggest problem, for me, which includes gamebreaking bugs/content/more. A wholesome MMORPG with more developed features, quality over quantity (yet enough variety). 15 meaty bois and not 40 skeletons.

1 Like

I’m ok with this, as I agree to disagree.

That is your personal opinion, however I suppose if you aren’t trying to push for a time limit to better yourself, and you’ve done a raid a large number of times, then of course you’re just going through the motions the same as anyone else that’s done something several dozen times.

I actually prefer this, as a lot of MMOs only add this in for no reason other than a gold sink, which is also why they have instakill and enrage mechanics.

Don’t know what that is, haven’t done shards yet.

More often than not, the bullet hell mechanics aren’t well received. That said, they have the bullets that go down the airship at a certain phase and from lich king, so that’s already a thing that’s implemented. Even then, that’s gripes about raid mechanics specifically, and they may be adding some of these in the upcoming raid they’re going to patch in, or have chosen not to add them because they’re so predictable and commonplace as mechanics.

This is all raids, not just ones on here. Tanks in most games don’t use reagents or consumables, and most games that have classes that use consumables often give them the ability to make them ahead of time for little or no resource cost.

I agree that bloated numbers are boring and new mechanics are interesting, hence why a lot of raids and dungeons have different mechanics. I see no disagreement here.

This is, once again, exactly how every raid in every other game works too.

Yes, these are mechanics.

This is the opposite of the mechanics in the quote above that you mentioned.

These are all ideas that can be added to future dungeons and raids, that they have yet to code because they’re still presumably working on bug fixes.

You could make a topic in the suggestions section to that effect, and when they go to code more areas (pretty sure I saw areas they’re going to turn into more pathways between areas while I was exploring), they can use them.

And here we have a case of practicality and pragmatism.

This is in most shooting games, and I’m almost certain they left it out for practical reasons. As in, they wanted the focus to be more on the showing-off and cards, rather than needing to learn to reload properly. Same for archer, as unlike most games, they don’t have you actually reach behind you to grab an arrow to knock it, it simply places another arrow there to have you focus more on your draw speed and accuracy rather than the extra small amount of reach behind you, not to mention how weird that would be as an anchor and how it would interact with weapons on your back, possibly accidentally putting it away once in a while or something.

They can always code these in later with different weapons, combos, etc. The fact that paladin exists means that they have at least some ideas for other fighting styles and weapons.

This is simply a balancing issue, which only requires more time and coding. Even games that have world championships have balancing issues, I don’t expect this game to be perfectly balanced for being literally the only one of it’s kind.

Fire. Shield.

You don’t want to build a dungeon that requires a certain class with a specific skillset. While runemages are good, they aren’t required for dungeons.

They already mentioned that they didn’t want to put mana because they wanted the runemage to scale with player skill, without artificial limiters. I mean, imagine if each runemage could only cast like a spell a second or something, that’d be terrible and they’d immediately and drastically drop in DPS.

And that is your opinion. I also don’t prefer bard, and won’t be playing it much, if at all. Although a purely healing runemage sounds not only redundant, but also that it’d far outstrip everyone else in healing once people got a hold of it.

I agree, and they can add these in later.

Again, things they can add later.

You could try ducking. I do personally dodge attacks in overworld by physically stepping to the side or simply moving my head. I do it all the time against the mages just outside highsteppe.

These are also mechanics that are used in other games, and they can add in later dungeons and raids if they want.

Yes, this is called ‘noodling’ in most games, and I refer you back to the practical versus pragmatic concept. The warrior has to do wide arcs, which is pragmatic because them being able to noodle would drastically increase their DPS. For an example, watch basically any video of GORN. With reagents that you can gather, there was really no need outside immersion, so they didn’t spend the extra time coding to make it that way.

I mean, there are some drops that can only be gotten in dungeons, shard dungeons, raids, etc., so to get that content I’d have to do it, not just farm easy monsters.

I don’t think being in a party lowers drop chances. Also, if they aren’t solo-able, then that means solo players can’t do the event, as my roommate’s level 6 self is finding out trying to kill enemies in lamavora for the fall event. If I’m not there as a musky to keep him alive, he literally can’t do the event and will miss out simply because he’s new.

Again, I’m under the impression that there is some gear you can only get from dungeons, shard dungeons, raids, etc., so this is already true.

I wouldn’t say high standards, I’d say more along the lines of wanting more content quickly. Which even if, in retrospect, this game becomes the ‘Runescape of VR’ or something to that effect, Runescape is still to this day putting out new content, making bugfixes, and doing balancing.
To all this I say, unless you can code and want to help them to speed things up, then all we can really do is wait patiently.

It’s a weapon affix that if you hit 0 hp, you return back to 1 hp with a relatively short cooldown, such that it’s basically up once every fight. You won’t die when you slip up.

I don’t mean to replicate the exact mechanics they use, but to experiment with various projectiles, telegraph/aoe/dodge-able effects. I also don’t mean highly complex patterns where you are walking in spirals, like a real bullet hell. “Akin to bullet hell”, basically I’d like more activity/mechanics in fights. Things to look out for, dodge, block, move, interact with. “This is a fight to the (virtual) death, and I need to DPS this thing quick, dodge that attack, pull that lever in-sync with my teammate, be on the lookout for that other thing, aggro that unkillable mob, heal that person” Not: in about 3 seconds I am going to hop 2 squares, focus the add that spawns, then go back to attacking the boss. I am a believer of scaled difficulty. Not everything needs to be maximum intensity. However if I am farming for the very-best in-game items, challenge me? Or even medium-level content, where players are expected to be a little better now, some evolving, challenging mechanics? Difficulty with good gameplay is fun. Overcoming challenges is rewarding. Good items/etc only obtainable via completing difficult content is also rewarding. Good gameplay is good gameplay, not bullet sponging. Yes, this does exist to an extent. Basically: ENHANCE.

Not those kind of resources. Mana is a resource, for example. Spell slots would be a resource. Healers and warriors can indefinitely stay alive because healers don’t use resources, only cooldowns.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me here or disagreeing. I’m also not comparing to other MMO’s, I’m imagining what makes a good fight.

Mechanics can flow and be immersive, mechanics can be abstract and loose. I disagree that this is the opposite of what I wrote.

I’ve made a number of them. So have others. Simple combat/classes continues to persist.

Perhaps but the class has no room to grow. Other games use it, and people like the feature in those games. It’s like wow! VR & guns. I can reload it? The speed that I reload matters? Cool! Orbus was like “naw.” Reloading mechanics, for example, can heighten the skill ceiling, and create room for complexity via different ammo/different guns/different reload mechanics and add that juicy vr-immersion. Scoundrels can learn to curve a little better, which buffs group dmg. If you wanted to be a PvP god, aiming would matter alot. A good mid to long range scoundrel would be genuinely impressive. Anyone can bum-rush you and nearly immediately kill you though as a scoundrel. However none of this applies to PvM because you might miss one tap (against huge boss targets) then recalibrate quickly. A +5 gun scoundrel can not compete with even an above average mage with a green wand. Yes, runemages are powerful? They take a lot of time to be very good at too. The issue is not 100% the rune mage though, but the lack of depth for scoundrel to obtain damage increase via development of skill like rune mages can do, or warriors, or archers. The cards are not all that interesting (to me). Also, you won’t just stop shooting. You grab a card, you decide: do I burn this? Do I charge my gun before shooting? Do I hold on to the card? Does this card spark joy in my life? If it does not, thank the card then discard it & immediately shoot again. That’s it. Nothing else. Their ult is also interesting, in concept. Some of the talents are terrible.

I’m 100% in this camp. Modify my mage shield, or give me a new spell. Make my mana shield last longer. Make it AoE-buff in a small area. Make the target get a small overshield that regenerates when they aren’t being attacked after 5 seconds. Allow only certain combinations. Hell make it last 15 minutes so I can buff a random noobie as I run past them, like a real “buff”. I feel that sometimes the devs try to stray hard from traditional RPG mechanics which have long persisted because they are good ideas. I wish they did not do this every time (and other players I’ve spoken to have also expressed this idea to me, I am not alone lol).

Balancing - yes. That can take time. Though I guarantee if they asked, the community could literally solve some of their problems & even run numbers for many balancing issues. As for additional spells or abilities, I mean would it really be that hard? Maybe for more complex stuff, yes. Some of it has small investment. A healing spell? Use wands (or maybe not), but just copy and paste that rune mage algorithm so it’s a deep copy, and either re-use glyphs or use new ones & it won’t affect rune mage casting/shortcuts because the systems are separate. Give the basic heal spell the decurse look and change the color a little(more white?), purchase some new audio effect. Make one that instantly heals and one that heals over time (already exists, re-use). Or like a druid type of heal-spell (decurse+green). It does require coding. It’s not the sum of zero, but just how non-templated would their coding be for this to be an utterly massive undertaking?

I didn’t advocate they would be required. Just that added features actually have to be useful. I also don’t think it’s wrong to have certain encounters where a class has a chance to shine. Don’t leave it 100% to the tank and healer to survive an encounter. So I say, why not? Why not need either (your pally to maybe off-heal OR your rune mage to apply that mana shield OR that ranger-trap…). Strategy can be devised many ways, and use many classes/abilities. Simply provide players with diverse useful tools and those players will strategize what setups can work, and how. If something is IMBA then yes, address it with a patch.

Yes, I am aware. I said give the healers mana (for example) because imagine the current speed of which rune mages can cast fireball 2 for example, but with heals. This is effectively giving a healing-caster a type of cooldown akin to a musketeers healing abilities.

You are assuming it would be better than the other classes at healing, which is entirely based on implementation. Bards can heal without looking, musketeers have healing turrets (which block projectiles…) and are pretty sick in general. They are also pretty easy to play. Should it be rewarding to be a good healing-caster? Yes. Should an insanely good healer maybe see some levels of healing above a musketeer? Quite possibly, though they would be limited by mana and cooldowns, and their ability to not choke their casting. Should musketeers be unable to tackle end-game content as sufficient healers? No. Also these wouldn’t be fireballing, healing, rune mages. Basically a non DPS caster, with rune-mage casting mechanics, with different spells (with some attack abilities, non competing with an actual rune mage). Possibly some overlap (like decurse, mana shield). Maybe their attack spells don’t cost mana, or cost very little mana such that the damage is worth the cast. I would actually heal if such a class existed, because the casting mechanic is quite cool. Playing xylophone-hero or tossing a turret down & slowly shooting bullets/orbs at someone doesn’t catch my interest.

Yes I do dodge these basic projectiles. I’d like more interesting combinations/things to dodge.

It’s not enough, and what you are talking about is heavily raid/dungeon. Also the loot you get from dungeons for example, like your skeleton wand can come from airship. It’s generic loot. There’s no strong sense of loot-diversity. More incentive to run crypt for example, over airship/broken halls. Or world loot (again, interesting items like j-for-jester) You can get certain dyes from certain dungeons for example, yes. I acknowledge that. It’s a good thing. There needs to be a lot more of that, in other places of the game too. In preborn, you got a jungle themed wand/armor from the jungle, etc… I’ve already said what I’ve said on this topic in my previous post.

I would not say this, because there is plenty of content but a lot of that content feels underdeveloped. There is an emphasis to push forward & create new things rather than enrich the systems in place today. The longer many of these issues persist as well, the more that new players coming in are damaged long term. For example, anyone with a level 30 in every class with maxxed out raid gear and is loaded on resources, is simply never going to recover. Most content that comes out, bam. Done. What’s next? They were so easily given all this stuff, although some of them certainly did no-life it, that all of the existing content that -could- have been challenging is already done. They will never enjoy a 0->30 leveling experience because they hit level 30 doing dailies like catching rats or dragon racing lol. If they go backwards to do new mission/zone content that is added, they are already level 30 and maxxed out. They will mop the floor with the content. I already don’t like that you can’t 1 shot mobs and that there is scaling, or that there are even valid reasons to kill things level 1, but even with the scaling that exists this pwning-the-content problem is still the case(and I don’t think scaling harder would really be a better solution). That’s a different problem, and it’s late so I’m not going to come up with a solution for that right now lol. This lack of content though, as players develop their characters today/going forward, they will be unable to go backwards. Even if an expansion were released for example, would we really leave all the existing zones in the sorry state they are in? I’d strongly hope not. I guess one option are new classes, set to level 1, fixing the quest/event/leveling/loot/zone/content problems and hopefully they enjoy that new class & end-game content releases.

Pragmatic vs practical

I think these words mean the same thing, but I know what you mean. I acknowledge that. Some things are practical, to get more content out. This charging-forward at speed without looking back to pick up the bugs and develop more complete systems is exactly what makes the game feel bare-bones in certain places, and causes long term issues to form.

“They can add that later”

They can. It’s true. If they ever add stuff like this later.

Features take time

This is also true. If they decide to take time to add these kind of features.

Learn something new every day.

That also depends on the raid designer, which I can only assume they made them as difficult as they could without making it too overwhelmingly obtuse, since we’re playing on VR rather than keyboard, reactions are not only a little longer, but require more movement for input. Believe me, I’ve seen games that require too high speed of an input, and it isn’t fun. I’d personally rather the lower end that’s completable, but the raids can only really improve from here on, as they’ll be learning more as the game goes on.

Explained why no mana before, but I also agree with them. Before I played WoW, I played a game called Ragnarok Online, a point and click game, where I ended up as one of the best healers on several servers because I was able to practice and eventually heal 40 person parties by myself with a heal speed of over 20 clicks per second. It eventually got to the point that I was healing faster than the web connection could keep up with, and I knew I was good. Then I take a step over to WoW where, no matter how fast I as a player can move, my character only ever trumps around at a crawl in combat, my mana regen is drastically reduced, and no matter how quickly I react, the character (with all min/maxed bonuses) can only cast the “quick” heal every two seconds because cast time and cooldown. These are the artificial limiters that I mentioned, that the game would become more difficult not because there’s a new challenge to it, but rather because the game says, “I don’t care if you can get off 14 spells in the six seconds that triplicity is active, you get a max of one spell per second”, or heaven forbid that each spell would take a different amount of mana and you’d have to spam fire 1 simply because the game is too stingy.
Not to mention all the PvP and PvE content they’d have to rebalance to make the class able to actually stay viable, and they’d either have to give everyone mana bars or limited to one shot per second, and at that point even I’m bored because my scoundrel would be shooting like a musky.

I was mentioning that these mechanics are in other games that have raids as well, so they may draw inspiration from them later on.

I’m personally ok with this, as long as the reason is bugfixes.

The cards are a large part of the DPS though. All I’m saying is, full basket to load 4 shots, with the +50% crit chance from true gambler (so 65% at base or the guaranteed crit shot if you don’t mind counting), the +40-50% damage bonus from rank V showin’ off, then another +40% damage boost from fire+fire combo will make a difference. Especially if the math that someone else posted about a 5% difference mattering in raids for weapon damage, an innate 40% boost from two cards that can cycle quickly is relevant, imo.
But then we’re back to artificial limiters. Giving something else for them to learn to use would be cool, but if you were to add a forced ammo reload, that’s just adding weights to the class to make it harder to play, not really making the class any better overall. It’s like saying warrior should have to sharpen their sword between fights too, to give them something extra to help paladin keep up.

Also, a mid to long range scoundrel is the skill curve I mentioned earlier. Even if it doesn’t take 400 hours like most runemages, that’s still depth. And I agree, runemage should have higher damage, because they have higher skill curve. To me, that’s fairly balanced (except PvP, I don’t play it so I wouldn’t know), because if there was no payoff to the high curve, nobody would have any reason to play it.

Once again, more coding.
Also, it wasn’t until WoW that buffs started lasting 15+ minutes. In the game I mentioned beforehand, most buffs lasted at most 3-4 minutes, so I had to mentally keep track of who had what buffs, how long they each had left, which were the most important buffs for which players, etc. Some buffs (luck buff) only lasted a few seconds, so it was very situational.
Also iirc, shield does give a small heal as well. Not enough to make them viable as a healer, but enough to help out and give an extra shield for mechanics heavy portions.

Looking back at the original topic, most of these bugs are prevalent in all MMOs, mainly being graphic, audio, and connection issues. Graphic glitches are in every game ever. Audio glitches are much less common, but very few games give integrated audio, or at the very least almost nobody uses it. And lastly connection issues, which I completely sympathize with as doing a public event and not getting the exp for it sucks because I got d/c’d; but there’s not only a multitude of things that could be causing any of these issues (minor coding error, optimization issues, lack of video driver compatibility), but simply put that if they were easy to find and fix, they likely would have done it already. They’re - in my experience - very responsive about most topics for bugs, so if there were bugs that caused major stability issues, it’s likely they address those first before putting out a seasonal event, or at the very least giving minimal staff to the event rather than not doing it at all.

As it should be with a high level character. If they wanted to experience it, they could use a class they haven’t before. If they’ve maxed out everything and still truly want to experience everything from level one, then there’s always the new character slot.

I appreciate you being mature about that.

I think this thread has derailed a bit, the point of this thread is to fix the game as it is now, the current bugs it has etc, while most of us would like balancing/reworks/new additions we’re asking (as a majority of the request) an improvement on the fundamentals of the game that already exist…

9 out of 14 requests are to just fix the game itself.
Again to reiterate:

Only mentioning all this because the recent posts seems to have slightly detoured from the main point of this thread.

6 Likes