Patch 18.01 Notes - New Battlegrounds map, 4 year anniversary and more

Hi everyone, with the patch going out at around 11AM CST, we will be introducing the Temple of Ma’at Battlegrounds, the 4 year anniversary event (happy anniversary everyone!) and implementing some other fixes and changes.

Patch notes:

• Added 4 year anniversary event

• Speak with the anniversary NPC next to the player house to begin the quest and obtain the Penguin Costume, and talk to the rewards NPC to receive your cape and cake
  • Replaced the old Battlegrounds map with the new Temple of Ma’at

• Added beacons that change color over the objectives when captured
    • Teams are now gold and blue and the map surroundings reflect which side of the map you’re on
    • Added elite enemies that can be killed to acquire short duration battlegrounds invisibility potions
    • Enemy players in PvP mode (both battlegrounds and world PvP) will have a red glow around them
    • Added flag icon in ui displaying which team you’re on
    • Flag capture points change to color of team that captured it
  • Battlegrounds zone only balance changes

• Reduced potency of scoundrel basic shot by 15% (this number is used to calculate charged shot damage as well)
    • Reduced potency of runemage fireball 2 by 25%
    • Increased potency of warrior swing by 30% (this number also affects combo damage)
  • Added new battlegrounds long term mission for completion of matches

• Changed the reward for the long-term legendary fishing mission. Reduced the dram and exp reward and added a new fishing pole to obtain

• Implemented a fix for the desync that would cause you to lose talents when switching classes. Right now it only affects the Ranger class as a test, but if successful we will add it to all classes.

• Added Frost 3 and Fireball 3 representations in 3d over their spell pillars in Highsteppe

• Made all teleport pillars in the overworld PvP Safe Zones to prevent players from being killed while loading into the zone

Thank you, and we’ll see you in game!

9 Likes

It all sounds great, big thank you to the dev team!

I am curious for the reason behind the players in pvp mode glowing red?

Thank you so much! Everything looks awesome!!!

Will this show up for quest users even when they are only seeing players as glowing blue orbs?

That is wonderful!

Thank you! Thank you so much. :heart:

Thank you again for this, we appreciate you, your efforts overall & your willingness to do this for us.

So… no lore? Not even the rest of Nodenghasts song?

To clarify, it’s more of a red glow rather than an outline.

2 Likes

Fair, is it still applied to the blue orbs though?

If so, that would help PVP’rs identify each other in the overworld. looks hopeful

1 Like

At the moment, when out of render range they will still show as blue orbs - it’s something we can look into doing in the future but is more complicated to implement.

2 Likes

Ahhh, fair. Thank you.

Sorry to hear that it is currently complicated to implement. Once you have it sorted, it will greatly help level the playing field for quest users.

2 Likes

One more question @Mathieu_D:slight_smile:

How does this affect true affliction (talent tree) mages?

1 Like

It’s affected the same way there.

Thank you.

Hmmmm… that talent tree is already pretty severely reduced though.

:frowning: the fireball nerf, but the new fishing pole will be nice, getting that done asap thanks

These changes seem great to me. Personally I find telecasting fireball mages in BGs nearly as annoying as one shot scoundrels, so I welcome both of those nerfs, and hopefully we’ll see more PVP warriors with that buff.

Hopefully this update boosts interest in battlegrounds in general.

I wonder if it would be possible to implement custom BG matches. I was thinking it would be neat to have a BGs community tournament, but we could only do that if we had a custom match option.

Ive had the idea forever to make players in pvp have their out of distance blue orbs render as red orbs instead, not sure how easy that would be to add but that seems like an easy fix that doesn’t make quest run worse ^^

2 Likes

If im to be honest, its made mage even more annoying. As now, with the new map and its tight corners make it hard to hit spells with someone whos good at teleport.

And now mages use frost instead. Which nearly do as much fireball damage with the addition of slow.

I think the nerf was needed, but 25% is just a little too much.

1 Like

Rendered distance abuse is still allowing mage to delete people without even knowing it’s happening. A mage can just sit out of rendered distance and murder everyone

Personally I disagree and I feel like mage in bg is now to good with the way it’s made, the damage reduction doesn’t really become noticeable when you stack so many fireballs on top of each other and with not many things to hide behind you kinda just have to watch as a bunch of fireballs just kill you. And it’s hard to just teleport around them with the fireballs sometimes being in different places on your screen then on the casters and it’s so easy to just redirect them into people once the teleport. A lot of this wasn’t very present in old game with the metal walls or rocks you can hide behind and they were definitely needed. With the new map I think there should also be something that caps the amount of spells you can have out at once but take away the damage reduction, this will also help out with newer mages who can’t cast fast

2 Likes

Also please allow warrior shield to block projectiles, i don’t understand why thats not a thing

6 Likes

Also depending on where I’m facing my sword swings and shield bash don’t register

EDIT: this also affects sword rush

Calling something that is a basic truth of gaming, abuse is…

On PC games like New World, WoW, ESO; better graphics cards & CPUs allow players to increase their ability to see far away.

Players who choose to play on PCs with less processing power, or on gaming consoles live with the knowledge that they could have chosen to spend the $$$ on that, and chose to spend that money elsewhere for whatever reason.

The same is true of VR games, processing power is king. If players spend the extra $$$ to have it, they get the benefits of being able to see farer. If players choose to spend that money elsewhere, they go in knowing that you will have a smaller render distance.

That Orbus Devs go the extra mile to help people with lower processing power out is absolutely awesome, they could have just let it as is like other games have done traditionally.

So instead of ragging on players for using their machines to the best of the power available to them. Celebrate that Orbus is actually doing it’s best to give players as level a playing field as possible, without requiring players to buy a better system.