Patch 5.0: Shard Dungeons (Sprint Three)

Hey everyone!

Here in a few hours we’ll be putting out Patch 5.0, which includes the new Shard Dungeons and completes our Sprint Three content. For more details on the Shard Dungeons system including how it all works, please take a look at the preview blog post we posted a few days ago.

Here are the patch notes:

• Introduced Shard Dungeons, our new high-level content for advanced players. Each time you enter a shard dungeon you’ll take on a scaled-up version of our existing dungeons, where the monsters have increased health and damage. Work your way up the ladder tackling more and more difficult content for better rewards!
  • Introduced Mutations, which are special effects which are active while doing Shard Dungeons. There are Major and Minor mutations. As you advance up the ladder of the Shard Dungeon levels, you will find more and more of these activating to increase the challenge of your run.
  • Complete the Shard Dungeon in less than 30 minutes to receive an upgraded shard. If you don’t complete it in 30 minutes you are still eligible to receive loot at the end of the dungeon run, so it’s always worth finishing the dungeon if you can!
  • Slow effects on monsters now have a diminishing return if the monsters has been slowed for more than 10 seconds continuously while trying to reach a target. The duration of the buff is not affected (to avoid affecting combos and tilesets), but the monster will begin to regain movement speed even though the Slow buff is applied.
  • Introduced two new Tiers of Armor to the game, which will drop from Shard Dungeons 1-5 and 6-10 respectively. This is Epic-level Armor with a new look inspired by the Tadu Mines. Armor will scale linearly in the Shard Dungeons from Levels 20.3 through 21.
  • Weapons will also scale from 20.3 through 21, however the Epic-level weapons retain their same model.
  • Introduced new Legendary weapons to the game. You have a chance to get Legendary weapons beginning at the Level 3 Shard Dungeon. Your chances to get a Legendary weapon increase significantly with each additional shard level.
  • Legendary weapons receive two random affixes from the same available pool as Epic weapons (see note below).
  • You receive one Guaranteed Roll per day for the Shard Dungeons as a whole. Every time that you are eligible to receive a drop at the end of a shard dungeon, if you haven’t used your Guaranteed Roll yet for the day you will be asked if you want to use it. If you do so you will get a guaranteed drop from the current Shard Level you are doing.

Notes on Shard Dungeon Loot

A few things to note specifically about looting in the new Shard Dungeons:

• You will not receive any loot while running the shard dungeon from enemies directly. Instead, once the dungeon is complete (by killing all the bosses in the dungeon as well as a set amount of other enemies), you will receive a Boss Chest at your current location (note that right now these literally spawn right where you are so you’ll have to move to actually loot it, but we’re working on that.).
  • This “initial roll” has the same chance to give you a drop as the combined chance of killing two bosses. Or, put another way it’s double the chance of a normal boss drop.
  • In addition to that, a random member of your party will be guaranteed to get a drop from this initial roll if you have a 4+ player party. Everyone’s chance at this guaranteed drop is 100% equal, it does not take into account contribution done during the dungeon run.
  • After receiving either an equipment drop or “pity dram” from the initial roll, you can choose to spend your Guaranteed Roll to get another Boss Chest if you desire. Note that if you spawn this second chest before looting the first, the tooltip may not appear outside of the chest – it still has an item inside of it, though.
  • With the changes we made to the loot system last week, if you get DC’ed after the boss chest has spawned you can still re-connect and receive the chest. However, you must be connected and inside the dungeon when the last boss/enemy is killed to “complete” the Shard Dungeon in order to get the loot drop, so keep that in mind.
  • In addition to the above, the Shard Dungeon “marks” who is in the dungeon currently once at least one boss is killed and 40% of the other enemies are defeated. Only those people in the dungeon at that time are eligible to receive loot at the end of the dungeon. So if you need to replace a member of the party after that point, they can help you finish the dungeon but they will not receive any loot.

A Note on Legendary Weapons

We have decided to revert back to our original plan of having Legendary Weapons receive two random affixes from the pool of available Epic affixes. We started down the path of having a specific affix for each Weapon and it just wasn’t working well for what we wanted to do…the mechanics were very class-specific and at that point felt like they should just be part of the Talents system if that’s what we wanted to do.

However, at the same time introducing the need to grind to a) get a Legendary weapon, b) have good secondary stats, and c) get not one but TWO ideal affixes is just a little too much RNG for anyone. So in the next couple of weeks we will be introducing a system which allows you to spend Shards from breaking down weapons to re-roll the Affix(es) on your existing weapons. We don’t have all the details yet on how exactly this will work, but generally speaking your goal for now should be to concentrate on getting the best-stat Legendary weapon you can and then saving any shards from breaking down gear so that you will have them available to spend to re-roll the Affixes later. This system will also work for Epic-level gear as well.

A Note on Balancing

We have tuned this content, I hope, to be rather difficult. We will be monitoring the progress of the various groups attempting the content throughout today and this weekend and make further tuning changes as needed to make sure that the content is challenging but doable. So please feel free to share your feedback on how you’re finding the content as you start playing today, and we’ll go from there.

Thanks and I hope you’re all looking forward to the new content!

13 Likes

Glad to hear it, i still don’t have the bow i want and it’s just one affix lol. RNGesus hates me!

5 Likes

Are specific shards needed or do they each have a value that need to = a number?

This is literally all I know at this point.

1 Like

Affixes:

Are there any affixes currently NOT working?

The only one still not working is Lifepull, and it has been taken out of the rotation of ones that drop for now until we either fix it or replace it with something else.

2 Likes

Does this still apply in scenarios where the boss is stationary for the first chunk of the fight but is being slowed for ice lance/ice heart purposes and is then briefly kited during specific mechanics later on? In other words will it hose us to use frost while the boss is stationary if we need to kite the boss at all later?

(PS: thank you for the one guaranteed drop per chest and I am beyond insanely excited about the future spending-shards-to-reroll system)

That’s actually a good point I hadn’t considered, so yeah I will change it so that it only counts toward the diminishing returns if the monster is actively trying to get to the target and is slowed (not standing still), but I will reduce it to 10 seconds instead of 20. I think that helps prevent what we’re trying to prevent (which is basically the monster never reaching a target at all) without punishing existing rotations/strategies.

4 Likes

Rerolling affixes sounds awesome. I hate the fact that I’m still at work for a couple of hours. Wanna try the shard dungeons so bad :smiley:

What does that mean for my lifepull weapons. Will it stay “useless” affixe-wise or are you maybe gonna replace the weapons lifepull affixes that players already own with a random affix?

1 Like

Either a) we will fix it so that it works as intended, or b) we will change it to so something else instead but existing weapons will get that benefit.

2 Likes

Regarding loot drops, is it possible to switch profession to some other class then select the option to obtain your guaranteed daily drop to get an item for that profession? Does this still work for the regular loot box?

1 Like

Agreed. I think not going that route is wise.

I always stop playing Diablo characters when I get to the point where my gear is very good but to get the best stuff I need to farm and fight against RNG for weeks.
Likewise when I used to raid in WoW, I’d get bored of chasing Best In Slot items from boss drops when I’m already well-geared and the rest of my guild was such that we have the raid on farm… we’d all stop raiding at that point (burn-out) and do other things, or run alts who needed any gear upgrades at all.

Corgi had a great question. I would also love to know this.

Are the weekly mutations bound to a shard on it’s creation? If I have a tier 6 shard saved and the week changes with a new major mutation - would my current shard use that major mutation or have the old one until it changed into a tier 7?

Client-side patches are now available to download on all branches. There is a bug on the Beta branch where the Dungeon Shard icon is showing up as a Missing Icon (question mark) but we will put out a patch to fix that on that branch in about 30 minutes…didn’t want to delay the whole thing over that, though.

Server restart should be happening on-schedule in about 15 minutes.

1 Like

It’s not something we specifically tested for but in theory I think you could do that, sure. Just don’t logout when the “Do you want to use your Guaranteed Roll” prompt is up or it will be the same as declining it, though.

No they are set at the server level. The only thing bound to each individual Dungeon Shard is the Minor Mutations, the Shard Level, the dungeon to which that shard is assigned.

1 Like

There is also a Shard Dungeon pedestal in the Player House leftover from testing, we will put in a patch to remove that but in the mean time just ignore it…you can’t actually activate any shards there since there are no “Player House” zone shards, but just a heads up in case you’re wondering what’s up with that.

1 Like

Okay, server restart should be completed, sorry had a bit of a false start there for a moment.

Enjoy!

1 Like

techno leather chest actually change shoulders even if it’s equipped on the chest slot