Please help those of us who are unable to cast portals

Random/rare events would be cool. Also, some type of collection game, ala the “shinies” in EQ2 or Rift may help with exploration.

1 Like

Also, if you guys ever plan to add voice overs for NPCs it would be awesome to be able to sneak by one and overhear a conversation that leads you to something cool in game, or leads you to the start of a quest or something

2 Likes

Rare random mobs sounds like a start, but doesn’t help with the underlying issue. I still have to slow walk there, even if there is more to do along the way making it longer to get there… If I have 30 min to hop in and do something and 25 of that will be walking where I want to go, playing something else would be more fun. Its when tele/slide was removed that this became an issue for me.

I like the idea that if you don’t have anything in either hand, you should be able to run faster

After the quest line I don’t know that you need to travel all that much. I’d just move my house if I was you. That or I’d log out the time before wherever I want to be. If i want to grind or do some gathering then I’d log out near the stuff I need. I don’t know that 30 minutes should provide you with much progress in an MMO, much less this new smaller mmo for VR.

But it has so far, I play 30 min at a time alot. I have been playing for a long time now, and like I said previously it was when the movement from slide/tele was removed that it slowed down to the point of just too slow to travel distance for me.

When the difficulty for mage was turned up along time ago I complained, then gave up and bailed out on the class I liked most. Even withe my shaky hands I used to be able to cast all the spells reliably, then it changed and I abandoned the class. I good with healing, having fun doing it, but if I log in and everyone is in the desert or wilds, half my playtime is just getting to them.

I just looking for a method of traveling faster that wont break the game mechanics, which is why I suggested movement increase on roads / paths.

1 Like

How about summoning stones at each dungeon entrance, and maybe one in the wilds. I think the various zones might become much easier when more players are playing. mobs will be always dead and always got a mage in town wherever ur house is (He’ll i’ll be making portals for Dram all day if it’s something you people want :wink:

What’s the tele/slide thing ur talking about? last time I played I could do either one and mix/match

Previously, while in slide motion, you could hold the trackpad for tele locomotion and it would fan out as you ran and you could tele a jump too. So as you were slideing along, you were using tele locomotion also for almost double the movement speed.

lol sounds like a nice mechanic :frowning:

What about a premium instanced house you can get that has a transport chamber with persistent portals to all the major zones?

1 Like

I like this idea, having a hub with portals. If not in home, then in fellowship hall, or have a world hub.

Portals could also be won by completing a task, like collecting 5 quest gems in different parts of a zone that the player could slot into an object that can be turned to activate the portal in a door or magic mirror that’s in their home.

Sorry, I know the idea of a quest might not help Decnav’s issue in the short term, but it would help in the long term.

Ohh, a fellowship hall upgrade you need to fight for, I dig that!

Did I hear fight? Combat? I like combat!

Mabye each of the portal locations in the wilds can only be owned by i guild at a time, so if you want to use it you have to make sure no one else can take it/cap it, although it may be tough to add so late in

The issue is rewarding the use of the mixed motion more than using just tele. My wife for one cannot use the slide otherwise she will have a higher chance of feeling physically ill, saying she can’t travel faster but other can just because of the locomotion option she’s using isn’t necessarily a good idea.

What is better I think is the 2x’s motion along roads, it makes sense from a logistics point of view and make it to where travel outside of the paved roads is still meaningful and can be seeded with rare drops/items/creatures/npcs/other POI random and not random.

So I’ve been thinking about this topic a lot, and here are some general thoughts.

My original hope was that similar to how in the old days of WoW Mages would sell portals from cities to various locations, Runemages would spend time in Highsteppe or Guild City and offer to create portals for other players. However, while that does seem to happen frequently for big events like planned World Boss raids, it doesn’t really happen a lot of the rest of the time. Part of that is because I think in a VR game you are less likely to just stand around in one spot for 3 hours making portals, and then another part is that at least thus far, no central place in the game world has emerged as the spot where everyone gathers (which to some degree is by design).

So, if there’s not a friendly local Runemage on every corner making you a portal, does that mean everyone who hasn’t done the Runemage questline or just can’t cast the portal spells for lack of practice or other limitation should just be unable to fast travel? I would say no. At the same time I do think Runemages who can cast those spells should still have somewhat of an advantage, I just don’t think it should be to the extent of “I can fast travel and you can’t at all”.

Probably the best way to balance that out is to allow Runemages to continue doing what they’re doing, which is to say they can create portals from anywhere to any stone, and then introduce a mechanic where non-mages can travel only from certain locations to any stone. So that way it’s still advantageous to be able to cast the portal spells, as you can be in the middle of nowhere and quickly get someplace else, but at the same time if you aren’t a mage or can’t cast the spell, you can still get from e.g. Highsteppe out to the Desert dungeon quickly. It would still cost a Runemage reagant so using the airship would still be the preferred option especially for lower-level players or if you’re just not in a big hurry, but for high-level experienced veterans who have farmed up a pile of reagents, spending one to get where you want to go quickly is worth it.

Other than the fast travel, in terms of traveling overworld more quickly, we will be introducing a device that allows you to move much faster than you can currently while out of combat, but it’s something that you would not acquire until you are higher level.

Anyway, I will spend some more time working on that concept and see what we can do.

9 Likes

This was a bug and was never an intended mechanic. The movement rate between Teleport and Sliding both in and out of combat will always be balanced to be equal for exactly the reason of not everyone can use both.

Actually the teleport is a bit faster than sliding. It’s more noticeable when traveling with teleport users and have to teleport yourself to not stay behind

2 Likes

I reported this earlier and I can still do it. I can not use teleport and sliding at the same time while not in combat, but I can while in combat. Allowing me to out run the enemy very quickly.