Please help those of us who are unable to cast portals

Just to be sure, you mean you can use the slow non-sprinting sliding while in combat along with Teleport, right? But if you Sprint (by holding the Grip button) then you can’t Teleport once your Stamina is used up?

Yes, On the first part, not sure about the sprint thing. I just know I can slide while in combat and the grid spreads out as if I were not sliding when I teleport. Allowing me to get double movement with no limit. I’ve run through many zones like this without creatures able to get to me.

Yeah that’s an intended mechanic, because you move at about 30% speed when not using Sprint in combat. It was a balance we struck because people didn’t like not being able to move at all in combat. I may play with that speed some more, but at any rate this is intended behaviour.

Your stamina bar recharges 50% slower while you are in combat as well, so basically the point I’m making is that even if you use the slow-slide and Teleport as quickly as possible, you are still moving more slowly than you would if you weren’t in combat. But yes I know that you can outrun enemies by doing that, which is fine.

I have noticed this instantly and I believe that teleport and sliding should be the same exact pace. Some people can’t teleport due to motion sickness and have to slide but they go 5% slower than the people that are teleporting and would always fall far behind.

While I agree they should be the same speed- you seem a little confused. People tend to get motion sick while sliding not people that are teleporting. :stuck_out_tongue: also you don’t fall far behind but it is noticeable.

Really I get motion sick because of teleporting because I am teleporting nonstop which my eyes aren’t adjusting to the sights which makes my eyes dart like crazy and causes me to get sick and get a headache.

Yeah its the “my Eyes see that i am moving but my body does not feel it” kindoff experience… like reversed car sicness basicly

I’d actually like to see movement not limited until you actually attack in combat. One of the biggest issue with travel that I have is that you get auto-snared when something aggro you, whether or not you’re attacking them.
In cases where you did not initiate combat, the combat snare should not be applied until the first combat action (cast, shoot, swing) you perform after being aggroed.

I also support the idea of roads affecting travel travel speed, and/or reducing aggro radius.

I know this is way down the road (pun intended), but a fun fix might be the addition of a class that can move faster. Since the game has the option of switching classes at will, a bard class like EQ might be fun. I’m not suggesting that a class like that should be able to move at 1000% + run speed (like the bard in EQ), but 3 times the speed at higher levels?

Or mounts could be a fix. Make them hard to get, so its only experienced players that want to rush through the lower areas that they’ve seen a thousand times already. The mounts could only work in areas that the player has thoroughly quested, so they wouldn’t work in areas that are new to the player, only areas that are getting a tad boring for that particular player, because they’ve already done everything there is to do. This would solve the issue of wasting time traveling, without breaking the exploration part of the game that’s so good.

I think part of the reason we aren’t seeing this is a lack of text-based zone chat.
/1 Free portals to anywhere for the next 10 minutes at the target dummies!

I have no idea how to implement a worthwhile text chat area in VR, but I think it is worth pursuing. From trade, to LFG spam, to help requests proximity-voice just isn’t as effective.

I would love a bard class. God yes.

It would probably be easier/ faster to add it as a buff to the warrior:
“Forced March” or maybe “Doubletime” activated via the horn, giving a short duration or proximity buff self and party members

Asking for a teleport in EQ was easy because there was a /port chat channel that wizards and druids could join, so they always saw when their services were requested.

Chat channels would fix the issue, but its not very VR oriented. I think we need something a little more inventive.

So a VR equivalent (bear with me this sounds crazy) might be a goblin request service. A player would walk up to the goblin in Highsteppe, and ask the goblin to find them a mage for teleporting.

Then, a little NPC goblin shows up to mages that have turned on goblin requests. It unobtrusively follows the mage until the mage notices (like a pet). If the mage walks up to the NPC, it bows and says something like “Oh powerful one, an adventurer in Highsteppe has requested your skills, will you answer the call?” Then the mage can take a compass like microphone from the NPC, so they can talk to the requester. “Hey I’m on my way”.

I’m also partial to a Bat Signal system, because it would just be so LOL!

5 Likes

That actually would be awesome.

The Wandering Magi are more than happy to fulfill your teleportation needs, provided you have the dram or reagent to complete the request. Currently I am the only member, but if I am online, give me a shout… Somehow.

1 Like

Ask for help is the best option.

I opened a lot of portals for people. A lot of time when they are lost in the world.

So, you only ask for help. This is a very good community.

1 Like

I’d love to stand around helping players, but we have no tools to announce to the world that we are here to help other than spamming voice coms. Nobody likes to spam voice coms and a lot of people don’t like to ask for help because they don’t think they’ll get it anyway or they don’t want to annoy random people. Give us a way to announce that we’re here to help and a way to revoke the ability from people who abuse it. Perhaps enough troll reports revoked the ability to set the “I’m here to help” mode. Perhaps enabling it will just point a simple icon over our head.

The reason I wanted something like this it it would be unfair to expect a mage to follow me around while I quest and get distracted by shiny thing, just to be my personal portalbot.

My playstyle is highly erratic, I might start trying to complete a quest, then and hour later I realize im running around the wilds collecting things again.

I have tried again recently, and still cant cast for crap, had my nephew play some this weekend, and he had no issues getting spells off. I think since EA I have cast 2 portals to highsteppe, and failed thousands of attempts to make a portal to anywhere else despite knowing all the runes

Im not bothering with the quests anymore, just too much walking back and forth. If I could portal it would take 80% of the walk grind out of the quests and make it fun again. As of now questing is way too much of a grind to bother with unless i just happen to be at the spot needed for the quest

we need an orbes ver if the fuel rats in elite

1 Like

Would a tradable portal stone help? Mages could successfully cast the ritual in a place of power, and instead of the gate opening, it makes a portal stone to a specific location. The stone could then be traded to other players so they can activate the portal whenever they want.

This would incentivize the idea of mages being paid for teleports, but the mage wouldn’t be required to be present when the teleport is needed.

I would happily pay a mage to make me several of these. Keep them in my backpack for when I really need them.

Mages could also preemptively make them so they can just trade them when someone wants one for dram. It would make it easier for everyone involved, plus mages would get rich.

12 Likes

I like this idea! This would work excellently with the merchant stalls.

2 Likes