Rapidity Ranger cap

I know this has been brought up before, but seems like it has been a while ( Uncap Rapidity Ranger )

I have been Rapidity for coming up on 2 years now and it’s always felt so incredibly meh compared to Precision. For a few months now I’ve been playing on PCVR which has given me access to parsers that have given me a deeper understanding on the downfalls of Rapidity and have caused me increasing frustration.

I was wondering if any of the dev team had any input on why the cap still exists compared to mage, for example, which remains uncapped and left to continuously evolve with skill over time. It’s a shame that many of my shots are “too fast for Rapidity” and I lose a fair share of the damage I’m putting effort into achieving.

I understand that rapidity is the minority class, but it would be nice to hear input from others who run the talent and see how they feel about the cap.

I personally don’t think it would be ultimately game changing or unfair to uncap (or just increase it) to give a further development to what could be done.

9 Likes

I think that the cap needs to exist but it needs to allow much faster shots. It needs to be to the point of you being able to compete with the top precision rangers because imo rapidity is 10x harder. I know way too many rangers who are too fast for it and either do really well because they just barely go over the cap a couple times and then the same people who do terrible because it was too fast. It’s super disheartening to do really well and know it and be shut down by an unrealistic cap.

Honestly, for obvious health reasons i think rapidity should be completely removed.

That said, since (or while) it exists i don’t see a valid reason to cap it.

Health reasons? Why because you’re getting exercise? I’m genuinely confused. But I also agree the cap needs to be changed.

From stories I have heard someone pulled a muscle in their wrist to the point playing rapidity in old game to the point they couldn’t use that hand anymore. May be misremembering as this was something I heard around 2 years ago.

I mean, there are risks to most things, just don’t be an idiot. As I said, been playing Rapidity for 2 years and haven’t had any major issues. Whereas there has been players that have had much more injuries playing mage or even fishing. I don’t think that should be taken into consideration.

4 Likes

Let’s remove runemage since several mages have been hurt. I know one who needed surgery for it. see how ridiculous that sounds? oculus warns them of health issues with vr and they accept the chances of it by playing rapidity.

to be fair, orbus should probably also implement a health and safety warning the first time you launch the game.

6 Likes

By “for health reasons” i mean that rapidity not only encourages but forces you to draw as fast as you can to perform well. Excercise is great, but just like most things in life, too much of a good thing can be bad.

For rapidity, besides risking muscle and tendon injuries, the repeat rapid motions are also great candidates if you want to develop osteoarthritis. Sure, you might not feel like it is causing you any issues. But the same can be said about f ex lifting heavy objects incorrectly. Your back may feel just fine, until the day it doesn’t and then it is too late.

To each their own of course, and i am not here to tell anyone otherwise. But i bet a lot of players don’t think about these risks.

2 Likes

as someone who has hurt themselves by playing mage I can say that I think that there should not be a cap sort of speak for rangers but I really do wish there was some way to say hey this could be very detrimental if it gets out of hand. I also really like the idea of no skill ceiling and it makes stuff like dps comparison a lot more competitive so I’d love for them to uncap it but would also like some sort of warning or something along those lines

3 Likes

well im all for getting rid of the cap but maybe just increases it to 6 a second instead of 3 a second

I believe its 5 a second (the tile cap in game its also 5 for warrior so I’m assuming its the same)

its 3 if you do 4 you get 1s

sorry no it is 4ps is ok but 5ps is a 1 damage

Rapidity should not have a cap at all. The archetype needs a buff and honestly I think its a lot more fun and skill testing than precision. If removing the cap brings it more in line with precision or causes it to over take precision in the late game I think that would be a positive. If removing the cap and making it an uncapped dps allows players to push the limits on the class and become closer to runemage dps I think that would be fine too. It is less technically precise than mage but it’s a lot more physically strenuous. To consistently full draw shoot on target over long distances that fast over an entire dungeon would be more than deserving of being a respectable second place dps class. This is all assuming that removing the cap would greatly change rapidity’s dps which I don’t really have a lot of personal insight on. At the very least it would push the archetype in the right direction and would encourage more players to play it. The cap makes the class frustrating to play and unnecessarily punishes players for becoming good at the class which is more than reason enough to remove the cap speculation aside.

After some number crunching, my personal dps could be looking at an 8k boost on average. My current highest hitting (83k, if memory serves?) and my hits per second being on the higher end of people I’ve personally run with means that it would still be within a reasonable range

The cap is currently just over 3 hits a second. I’ve looked at the numbers with @Shuga on some of his fights 20% of his arrows are hitting as 1 rather than damage and thats when he’s getting the 4 and 5 hits a second tiles. Seriously the cap could literally just be the tile cap and it would be better.

5 Likes

That sounds really reasonable. A rapidity ranger hitting the gas possibly hitting 100k on a good day sounds like exactly where rapidity should be imo.

5 Likes

@Mathieu_D any thoughts from the devs?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.