(Reborn) OrbusMarket.com - Trading website

Hey all! I am excited to announce that the OrbusMarket website is back! We originally released to beta back in march 2018, however with the API not being as strong as it is today we lost traction back then and the project was put on hold. But that all changes today! https://orbusmarket.com progress has been resumed and to kick it off we have the new market stall information available at https://orbusmarket.com/stalls

Please do note, this should be considered beta and bugs are likely to be found.

What is the OrbusMarket website?
It’s a mixed bag, currently today we have support for generic item listings on the website itself (Think craigslist/FB Marketplace), All market stall items and prices, and Auction listings coming very soon. All of this data being easily accessible from any browser allows yourself to make education market decisions and the ability to find people selling items for cheaper than someone else may be. This alone will help stabilize the current economy within the game providing a much better player experience.

Why should you start using it?
As stated a bit above, by using OrbusMarket.com you help the economy overall, providing security and trust in the prices people are asking for items by having data to back those price justifications. Also, by creating an account soon you will be able to claim which stall is yours and provide a brief summary/description on the stall listing page and be able to follow items/auctions to get price alerts and know when an auction is nearing the expiry date.

Also by linking your discord to your account, people will be able to easily find you to discuss details on the trade.

Other Features/Current status on things

• Auction listings - currently a work in progress, main focus with the recent API release was to get market stall listings posted and redesign my framework to support the new ItemID’s.
  • New Trade discord notifications - Complete - Currently posting to the OrbusVR Discord and a few Partnered servers, if you wish to get these notifications please send me a message.
  • On-site messaging - Progress on this was paused, will be starting again soon.

If anyone has any additional feedback on the website I would love to hear it. I am doing this for the community, and if the community has any input I am more than glad to listen and implement if possible. Also, If you notice any bugs, or security issues please message me on discord - SaneGaming#2791

4 Likes
  1. You can’t view items being sold unless you are logged in. I’d recommend being able to see/search while logged out.

2. Not sure I want to enter a username/password given the era we live in but I wouldn’t mind giving like a temporary discord token or something similar to how the armory works.

4 Likes

I can’t read the TOS or Privacy Policy without logging in, and I can’t know if I want to register until I read the TOS and Privacy policy. The pages look nice tho. I will keep my eye on the site :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great points, To address the second point first: I do fully recommend you use a unique password for the site to further ensure your own protection. I do have full password encryption done before saved to the user database per the latest security recommendations. Additionally, if everything is linked to 1 SSO provider (Discord in your example, or FB/Google) then an attacker would only need to get that password and you are SOL. But, If you would like to audit the security I am more than happy with sharing any details, and the previous 250+ user registrations have not had any issues.

I have the items behind a user login shield to help prevent robots scraping data directly off my website, you can however view new items listed via the OrbusVR Community Discord or my own discord server.

Appreciate the concern, I actually have yet to develop those pages, if you look at the links they are just pointed to the main page. Any specifics you are looking for I can help address?

I am not sure if it has changed but upon being redirected to the main page I was getting a message that told me I had to log in to use the site services.

I can’t think of any questions until I know the rules… not trying to be a wiseass… but specifically I want to know the rules surrounding your TOS and Privacy Policy.

I will keep checking back. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If someone gained access to my discord that would be my largest concern, beyond that they’d basically gain access to a bunch of useless accounts (Orbus Armory, etc). I’d never use my discord token to log in to anything serious hence my suggestion for that.

2 Likes

I appreciate the initiative of this market and used it in the past , but I agree with Delceri I’m not comfortable making a password for a site that is just a logon page.

I would suggest having some other content on that page like a cached last xx market transactions like you use to have and just have it a snap shot and then hide the real time stuff behind the account if that is the route you want to go.

And Ken is right also , you may want a boilerplate TOS/Privacy policy because without it it kinda allows you to harvest personal data that may be protected more severley depending where your users are originating from.

In fact without it it may get you in trouble in certain countries.

1 Like

TOS has been added, I verified it is not behind any login requirements:
https://orbusmarket.com/tos.php

Thus, you should always use unique passwords for each website you register with. Currently discord Sync on the website is only used to capture your Discord name so players know how to contact you to buy or sell your goods. Passwords are never stored, or logged in plain text at any time on the webserver or database. I am comfortable showing my personal user record or a test one you create in the database if you wish to audit.

1 Like

I read it 3 times and take no objection to any of it. Sounds about as reasonable as anything could be.
Thanks! I will sign up before the weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad to hear, Please do let me know if something comes up that you’d like clarification on or anything. I am literally only doing this for the betterment of the community as I no longer really play :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right on. That’s a noble goal and I salute you!
Sadly tho… we live in an era where social media has decided that they have a right to see, know, measure and judge everything I think, say, do and desire… so… I feel it is necessary to know what I am getting into…
After reading that totally user friendly TOS it was evident and clear that you ain’t looking to do any harm, so I wish you the best and appreciate the resource! Thanks again.
I signed up this morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am working on a UI overhaul, are there any buttons or features that currently are not added that would make for a better experience when using the marketplace? I am open to all ideas.

1 Like

Market stalls information hasn’t been workin for a few days it shows them all empty

Devs disabled the API the website pulled from because it was (possibly) causing bugs

Just seen the post man that sucks I’ve been using the information alot

I would love to see a method to trade stuff.
For instance if I had an arcane mount to trade and I was willing to accept a stack of Pure Black Major Dye, or a Skateboard Mount or 6 stacks of Obsidian…
Just a way to trade without dram…
That’d be so super sweet!

I have debated that before, the biggest issue is how to actually facilitate the trade? You would have to give me your items on the website for storage, etc. etc. One option I could do is have a flag letting people know your open to trade vs dram so when they contact you that is easier.

That is sad indeed. @Mathieu_D any idea when we can expect it back?

1 Like

The way I envisioned it you’d be a middle man that basically facilitates someone interested in the offer to contact the player offering it in game…
A flag stating that the seller was open to a trade would be a great start!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.