Runemage Triplicity Talent Rework

I’d hate to be rude, but you are wrong… This is likely 4 people’s effort being slightly rinsed off. This isn’t a large nerf to all mages, it is a slight nerf to the top few. I’m assuming it probably wont affect you at all

Idc if you have heard of me or not. I cast around 11 fireball 2s during triplicity. This affects the majority of level 30 mages that know how to cast.

Only if by ‘knows how to cast’ you are excluding everyone but the top 1%,sure

x It is more than just 4 players. This change has a global effect.

U didn’t actually read what the change does, did u?
After 5 spells the extra spells will start doing less damage which means 2 things

1. The main original spell during triplicate will do the exact same damage as it would regularly before this change, with only the 2 additional triplicity spells doing less

2. After 5 spells the spells still do damage. It’s diminishing returns, meaning that after every spell past 5 will only do x% less damage, with x being anything between 1% and 10%. This change does not effect fast casting outside of triplicity, like how it was in the old game

Edit: also isn’t going onto a alt forum account to try and back yourself up and make a point against the forum rules?

Alt account that is a very serious accusation can you back that up please

Bruh it isn’t an alt, if you have proof feel free to tell me. I guess I did read wrong because what I read was after the 5th it’s damage is lowered a lot for everyone

Lol who said I was talking about u

You replied to AKH ZINO who else were you talking about?

It isn’t an alt and it doesn’t matter, it is not on topic at all

1 Like

Anyway nerfing any class after all the time, effort and commitment it takes to master is a low blow to all players and does not bode well in the trust it takes to invest the time, money and social capital getting ingrained in this type of game.

Well under that light I suppose they’d be accomplishing it…

Because realistically:
Anyone that casts more than 5 spells in triplicity WILL see “diminishing returns” in triplicity.
Meaning anyone who casts more than 5 spells in triplicity will have lower damage. (5 spells in triplicity is equivlent to .625 spells per second… only slightly faster than 1 spell every 2 seconds.)

Meaning anyone who casts faster than about 1 spell every TWO seconds will see a reduction to their damage.

Lets compare realtively. Someone who can cast 19 spells in triplicity, lets just assume that the damage reduction in total is 5%.
And lets just assume damage increase is 50% at base triplicity.

(Digits of multiplication)
13 spells in triplicity caster: .5, .5, .5, .5, .5, .45, .4, .35, .30, .25, .20, .15, .10

19 spells in triplicity caster: .5, .5, .5, .5, .5, .45, .4, .35, .30, .25, .20, .15, .10, .05, 0, 0, 0 ,0 ,0

Maybe the 5% is too much then for diminishing returns? Lets assume 2%

13 in triplcity: .5, .5, .5, .5, .5, .48, .46, .44, .42, .4, .38, .36, .34

Current multiplier for 13 caster (.5 as base):

Change with 2% per spell reduction (1% damage reduction per smaller ‘triplicity’)

Difference in damage: 6.78/7.5= 90.4% damage. Meaning that the caster that can cast in triplicity will see a 9.6% damage decrease in triplicity. (This is not even the top 4 casting speed at all, this is an good “average” player who just started practicing runemage.)

19 in triplicity: .5, .5, .5, .5, .5, .48, .46, .44, .42, .4, .38, .36, .34, .32, .30, .28, .26, .24, .22

Current caster in triplicity with 19: 9.5
Caster after 2% damage diminishing returns: 6.98

6.98/9.5= 73.47% or 26.53% less damage.

I’d also like to point out:
The two different coefficients:
6.78 vs 6.98.

Casting speed of 13 in triplicity = 1.625 spells per second.

Casting speed of 19 in triplicity = 2.375 spells per second.

Difference of speed(how much faster 19 is compared to 13): 2.375/1.625= 1.46153846154

For an increase of 146% speed we receive an increased damage efficient average of:
6.98/6.78= 3%

So for achieving 146% more speed; we get a multiplier difference of 3%(total average) that of the slower.

Perhaps for a slower runemage yes the % decrease is a lot lower but it is still there to ignore the fact that this affects ALL runemages is absurd.

With triplicity down time of 50% (very high) but 13 in triplicity caster with this model will do 4.8% less damage.

or 95.2% of their current damage in total (regarding normal+triplicity because we don’t have triplicity up 100% of the time).
Meaning: a decent starting runemage of 13 in triplicity who can pull 40k dps will see their dps drop to 38k.

Now lets assume that the “good” runemage who casts 19 in triplicity does 80k dps.
Taking the same idea; 50% downtime.
26.53/2= 13.265% total damage decrease/86.735% damage.
meaning a 80k dps will see it drop to 69.388k.

Now I’d also like to point out that 40k vs 80k thats double the damage right?
I’d like to point out again: difference in that is 146% faster casting speed.
How fast you cast is NOT directly attributed to dps. Otherwise with 1:1 the damage I would see at 19 in triplicity would be closer to 98.4k. I’ve never gotten close to 98.4k dps for any fight over 1 minute, with 2.375 casting speed.
With 13 in triplicity (1.625 casting speed) I’ve achieved 40k dps.

to clear out any confusion 146% faster the key word is faster. 146% faster means 2.46x OR +1.46

There is already diminishing returns for casting faster; afflictions aren’t 1:1 because they can only stack up to 3 times for damage. attributing to about 15k dps/ lower (5k per tick per second, x3)
What most people are believing is that the faster you cast= the more damage you do 1:1.

But there is already diminishing returns to cast speed relative to damage. 80k vs 98.4k

People like to think that runemage cast speed is 1:1 to damage increase or even exponentially. It is not.

and refering back to the coefficients.

I’ve already mentioned the problem with diminishing returns and that is: We need to EXPONETIALLY be faster to achieve SLIGHTLY more damage increase compared to someone who is slower.

1 Like

Yes, this would indeed defintely make new content challenging, but is this really your fix? If someone works multiplicative more should the content be “easier” for them because of their hard work?
All this really does is make runemages all across the board do less damage, the top tier runemages to take the biggest blow (mind you only about 4 people in the category of beating the ‘2nd best class’) and gives no sense of reward for time spent practicing. Meaning that there will be less incentive to practice as much. Meaning that there is less reason to play runemage.

IN another mmorpg (lets say ms2) someone grinds their ASS off to get gemstones upgraded (major part of damage). Meaning they’ve grinded lets say 600 hours to get 2x more damage than that of another counter part. The counter part played for 100 hours (a ‘casual’). Should the 600 hour grinder be rewarded by being able to clear the content with “more ease”?

This is also why people dislike scaled monsters in the overworld. There is a lack of feel of progression.
What you’re doing here is removing the feeling of progression exponentially as runemages have to exponetially increase speeds to achieve slightly more damage increase that of another runemage.
There will be a severe sense lack of progression.

The problem of rangers not doing enough damage roots from lack of return for their efforts. Someone who plays 2k hours (practiced) should do the same damage as someone who plays 2k hours (practiced) but a different class.

But the problem is that one class is limiting and the other is not.
The problem with limiting a class is that it is: limiting.

There is a lack sense of progression for the time you’ve spent.

I am missing 1 big thing thing in this conversation, and that is the fact that faster casters will get their triplicity back faster… So the deminishing returns are less deminishing then you seem to portray.

This example is good and it’s all what’s wrong in the world… if it only was so that effort yields money :slight_smile: . The tragic is that the woman who uses their hands to clean up people’s sh1t from morning to evening gets exponentially less than the manager sitting in his office all day. Why is that so. Cuz one of them works “harder”? Nope, normally one had rich parents to pay a better education that’s all… the day has same hours, for everyone, yea some are lazy, but a very, very high percentage fills the whole day doing important jobs like cleaning or nurseing the elderly or serving in restaurants for ridiculous money. We don’t want to be everyone a manager anyway, society would not function. And that’s where taxes, normally, come in, to make it least a little more fair.
It’s not rational to think that anyone “deserves” super-high amounts of money and a waiter or hairdresser does not - both just fill the time of day differently.

Now back to the game it’s often argued that mages work so much harder than everyone else. Why actually. Yea, they invest time into the game, aka come on and play and practice their class. Like everyone else who takes it seriously. They do different things like tanks and healers running thru dungeons more, possibly, not training in their house which doesn’t make as much sense as for mages.
But that kind of training is not much different, I wiped and wiped and wiped on bosses in lvl 1 shards with tanks who do their first steps, for example. The whole group does not really “play” in these situations, but practices, patiently. Rangers practice in front of dummies, scoundrels wherever they are. There’s enough other boring redundant things people do like fishing, to perform better, all that is efforts. Sitting at events all weekend to get the shaman up to 30 which again contributes a guild, that is also efforts.

It’s simply not true that others don’t spend time and equal efforts, for their class. Why should mages be exponentially rewarded for the same time spent?

As for up’ing requirements for other classes to make them harder, well, why not make the gunner class have to curve bullets in ridiculous ways instead of just shoot oh wait we got that already… and noone’s playing it anymore… Seriously if anything then mechanics of classes like these, possibly including the mage, need to be easier so that finally more people play it.

The problem that some groups brace thru content in days while others need weeks won’t be solved though, it is just as it is; it shouldn’t be so hard that it’s barely doable, the only thing triggered is people searching glitches if it is; so in the end I don’t think the nerf is really changing anything in this respect.

You made a big mistake here. It is 6.5. Not 7.5. :neutral_face:

So what you’re saying here metris…just play ranger?

? What
In case you didn’t read my post, in a nutshell, you can play what you want and put efforts into every class. Only one is rewarded, significantly, though.

Also this is 7.4, not 6.98 :neutral_face:

So those two things changed it would be:
7.4/5.78=28%

Then again we still need to add the calculation that you are getting triplicity back faster again and I wouldn’t be surprised if it is getting close to a linear dps increase to cast speed ratio. (excluding affliction)