Slow movement in battle mode

slowed in combat is dumb. whatever the reasons. its not a feature in any other MMO ive played so obviously there’s a better solution. if someone wants to run from a fight, so what ? thats realistic. you still have to fight stuff to get quests done.

I don’t think realism has EVER been something that’s considered high priority. Also, I’m fairly certain DC Universe online had it, and Guild Wars 2 did as well.

If you were to have full movement when in combat, it would need to be designed that way from the start, with how things currently are you can’t just change it to not slow to down, it would require a huge overhaul/rework of base mechanics.

2 Likes

Combat slow is a good thing. It adds complexity to combat by turning your stamina into a limited resource.
By learning how to effectively use your stamina and not waste it you will find that you have a lot more of it than you think you do.
Making players be limited in their mobility punishes mistakes and forces players to be more creative in how they engage in combat.
Making dps classes feel fragile and making it hard for them to solo is a good thing because orbus is not a game about soloing and it forces you to party up and be social.

Ideally you aren’t using slide in combat for anything aside from small adjustments anyway because teleportation is just objectively better than combat sprint because it allows you to instantly use all of your stamina, does not stun you, and lets you dodge homing projectiles

3 Likes

Just make monsters move the same speed as players. Every time I get slowed the same word pops in my mind. “God dammit”. People defending these game flaws are the reason zenith and Illysia will eat orbus’ lunch

No one is defending a flaw because DMS in combat is not a flaw, it is a feature of combat and it makes sense to me… but, I really don’t have much trouble outsmarting overworld enemies so I have never felt your frustration over this aspect of OrbusVR combat.

I don’t agree that upcoming games are going to be eating any ones lunch because Orbus is excellent and there is more than enough room for more than one VRMMORPG in the market… but if it does I hope it is at Taco Bell because Spring means the return of Volcano Tacos, which are God Tier.

Some classes are better at specific encounter types than others. Precision rangers are awesome at killing caster type NPCs but less good at killing rushers. Consider that before you initiate an encounter. Deploy your trap and make your first shot count from a decent range and there won’t be much left of the rusher by the time it’s too close for you to score bonus damage… or try Rapidity… I prefer precision by a large margin… but rapidity is fun too and IMHO it takes less focus to play well…

Also… realism???
You really reaching…
Good luck man, I hope you find a way to see past your frustration and enjoy this amazing game!

2 Likes

Just because something is hard or punishing does not mean its bad. Making enemies move at the same speed as players would make combat ridiculously easy because you could just kite the enemies infinitely. I think that you are struggling with a mechanic and rather than asking yourself why you are struggling with it or how to work around it, you just gave up and wrote it off as clearly the games problem.

What I don’t think you are realizing is that you are not intended to be able effectively kite enemies if you are not a tank. Dps are glass cannons, tanks dont die but dont do good damage, and supports can heal players but also can’t do good damage. By giving dps classes survivability tools you undermine that. Soloing is not and should not be something that feels streamlined because one of orbus’s greatest strengths is that it forces you to party up and make friends.

4 Likes

If this is the case, then how does just about every MMO get away with NOT slowing during combat? You act like there are no other solutions. Nobody likes feeling slow. Combining this with the most fun aspect of the game (combat) is simply a bad idea.

How can you run away when you have no feet?

Your opinion is yours and I respect that, but I really enjoy the combat in Orbus and I would like it less if I could kite everything across the map and always get away whenever I was in trouble…

2 Likes

I tremble to imagine pvp when people could go full speed

Well a lot of mmos are different than orbus. Orbus is preaty unique in that its in vr and focuses far more heavily on team based combat rather than soloing.
When you actually embody your character from a first person perspective a lot changes in terms of what makes sense and feels right.

The slow is serving its purpose. If you removed it the devs would just have to implement another way to prevent players from running away from fights and infinitely kiting enemies.

Sometimes the slow will bug out and not apply and I hate it when it happens because im used to the combat slow and its really difficult to make small adjustments to my position

I understand the problem that is faced by allowed unlimited kiting. My issue is the monster moves at full speed and you move at a crawl. Even when out with a group the player that is agroed is the slow mover, everyone else in the group moves at normal speed. So the player who is the unlucky target gets to basically tank. It is extremely clumsy and frustrating. I would even be ok with the player moving at half speed.

This slow in the mud movement is the only part of the game so far that I would change. Speed me up even a little.

And I will say that kiting is part of the game mechanics and is part of the strategy of battle. This slow movement negates those mechanics because you can simply never outrun an enemy once targeted. A fix to the kiting issue is to have the enemy not kite back if under attack. Iet it follow as long as it is being hit.

I mean if you manage your stamina well you can outrun any enemy. I rarely get aggrod since reaching level 30 but I never fight a battle I dont feel like. Even with the mud crawl you can just run away. It doesnt work lol EDIT: Not any enemy. Maybe others can but I realise now ive never outran treezus

2 Likes

Hi Randy,

i just wanted to let you know that warriors have an ability called sword rush, which allows us to move from one place to one of our allies or an enemy. this is how kiting is done on a warrior. You can use it effectively on many a boss, including dungeons like, airship, and ancient temple. it is limited on either side because of cooldowns, and requires skill, but i just wanted you to be aware that the game gives ample opportunities for you to put your strategy skills to use and that the slow move during combat isn’t a big deal.

the paladin can also do a small kite but usually they have enough tricks and weaponry not to worry about it, but a skilled paladin can throw their hammer to escape and or kite the boss. the teleport movement also allows you to move a lot quicker than just your slide movement.

also everyone in the party enters combat when they hit an enemy or heal another party member.

Reminder that you can only sword rush to allies with a talent, so it’s not viable at a low level, or for people who went for a different build, don’t act like this is something that all warriors can do to try and deflect genuine criticism of the game.

That is very nice for Warriors and Paladins. I am a Ranger and slow movement keeps me from being a ranger, as the enemy moving at full speed closes the distance and forces me to be a tank instead of a range shooter. I have heard all of the arguments and am still not convinced. I have a star that is supposed to work to keep that distance but is almost useless. Enything stronger than a kitten is not effected and even if you are fighting a kitten, as soon as you hit it the trap is released forcing you back into a tank position.

This is not going to change in the game. Having your feet in the mud is what the dev’s think people love so feet in the mud it is no matter how many people hate it. Feels like you are in a nightmare running down a long hall with a psycho on your tail. SLOOOOOOO[WWWWWW!!!

There are so many way the dev’s could have balanced the game without using this as the mechanics. This is frustrating and less fun then leveling the field in other ways. Everyone knows that the way to brand loyalty is to frustrate your clients.

I will guarantee every person who joins this game says the same thing the first time they get into a battle… and that is…what the #@$&×"@??? And then oh @#$%&!×!!!

I will bet that every player to this day says the same thing each and every time they get agroed passing by an enemy. !@#$&÷×, it!!! Cant’t move REALLY???

1 Like

Giving up on a class is definitely easier than mastering it.

I usually just consider the slow to be an encounter roll, if I don’t want to fight there is a slim chance that the enemy would be able to prevent me from getting away. It seems to make sense when the alternative is being constantly chased across the map.

I am kinda surprised that you are having so much trouble on the Ranger class. I really enjoyed playing the class solo. Things die pretty fast and it’s fun to figure out different builds to beat up on different types of enemies… Runemage will always be my favorite class, but I absolutely adore the mechanics of the Orbus Ranger.

I hope you enjoy whatever class you decide to play… maybe don’t totally dismiss the Ranger class just yet tho… You never know, you may feel differently about it if you revisit it after awhile.

Good luck!

As a Ranger DPS main, I assure you the trap works, you can kill from a distance, you’re not forced to be a tank.

It’s all ok. I have said before this is the only aspect of the game I would change. Ranger is a good class and with the discussion I read on potential changes to the class, it may be one that I continue to play as my main.

Maybe at some point you can show me how well this trap works. Anything I need it for blows right through it.

It won’t work on elite or boss enemies, but other than that it’ll pause the enemy in place for 30-45 seconds OR until they take damage. So if you hit them with a Poison Arrow then trap them, they’ll escape. If you hit them after they’re trapped, they’ll escape.