Some Shaman Ideas I have

I’ve tried all the new classes so far and I’ve mostly been maining pally. I’ve started to use shaman a lot more and have been loving the class for the most part. I do find the class has a few minor issues though and could use some rework.

My biggest issue is shaman has a very hard time dealing with moving mobs. Whether it’s a caster running to a new position or having to kite a boss to a different area, the shaman can’t deal with this very well. The two aoe damage totems are great! but if a target move, they’re now useless. Fighting the slime boss I have felt like a bottom tier class in every aspect. Of the new classes, pally can tank, heal, do moderate damage and get off a fairly consistent stun. Scoundrel can do a ton of damage, has a moderate heal, consistent stuns and some good overall cc. Bard can heal, buff, debuff and do some decent damage. Shaman however, can do some good damage (mostly close range and on still standing targets), we do have a stun and some cc. But taking the stun or cc will drop our damage. We also have no self sustain and are very squishy being close range combat. The talent tree has some neat skills but none that really wow me. I absolutely love the idea behind our special but I also feel it takes twice as long to gain as other classes. Overall I feel this class is lacking.

Maybe a rework is needed? I’ve pondered some ideas and want some feedback. These ideas are pretty rough so could be very unbalanced as is.

Instead of an invisible mask “weapon” we could use an effigy of types. Like a chicken or frog or shrunken head. This idea is a little more witch doctor but that’s ok. As for totems, you dont actually need to throw them down, instead they activate on your belt and you grab the orb or spell and charge your effigy with said ability. Once charged pressing the trigger would shoot the spell. For example grabbing the fireball and charging your effigy, would cause the effigy to shoot a fireball on trigger pull. For the aoes you charge your effigy with whichever you like, shoot the spell and wherever it lands it summons a spirit that shoots out waves of said spell.

This way we would actually have a weapon and aren’t stuck to one place that we place our totems.

As for talents, they could really shape play style for this class, for example:

Tier One:

Totem Calling

Totems activate faster

Effigy Calling

Ability to charge your effigy with two abilities. Making your effigy able to shoot fire and lighting orbs at the same time for example.

Tier Two:

Aspect of the wolf

Spectral wolf now has a health bar and lasts until it dies

Aspect of the Treant

Your special now buffs damage for you and all nearby allies for a short time rather than summoning a wolf

Tier Three:

Wolf Calling
Health buff and damage buff to your wolf

Shaman of the West
The closer you are to an enemy the more damage you deal

Tier Four:
Demon Wolf
Shooting your wolf with Lava or Frost causes your wolf to emit aoe waves of that element.

Elemental Shaman

You can now shoot yourself with aoe charges causes aoe waves to emit from yourself

Tier Five:

Aspect of the bear

Activating your special while your wolf is already out causes it to become a powerful bear for a short time

Aspect of the Dragon

When your effigy is charged with a damage orb, it now breathes that element rather than shoot a ball.

These are just some quick examples I thought of and could probably use some tweaking. But with one set of talents you’d have a constant pet almost and the ability to attack from afar while you pet aggros up front.

With the other talent you become a raging shaman spewing lighting and fire everywhere while aoe waves emanate from you.

Thoughts?

Some ideas that I had that probably got buried were:

Give the Shaman’s offhand a 30 second or so ability that instantly spawns all orbs on the totem. This would allow us to move the totems and instantly spawn the orbs in moving fights occasionally and allow us to stun twice if needing to.

Make the orbs explode (at reduced damage) if they don’t hit a target so that you can strategically miss orbs to do AoE Damage and for it to not be so punishing.

Also Shaman’s should have gotten the Scoundrel ultimate in my opinion so that we could throw orbs and they would always reach the target. This could also make the orbs spawn faster so that we get a few throws in during the ultimate.

1 Like

I like the idea of getting the Scoundrel ulti. I don’t think strategic misses are a good idea simply because they will likely not work the way you want them to (getting ST hits when you wanted AoE, vice versa).

Really the biggest issues I’m having with it is that there are only a few bosses you can actually fight with the shaman. We shine in broken halls bosses but no other dungeon can be done effectively on the shaman for the whole run. The two things I’d do to help with that would be the ability to reposition active totems like the musky turret and increase the cast range of our orbs. we are are too squishy/immobile to be that close to bosses and are another body that can get in the way of other DPS classes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.