The desync bug, cause of many bugs

Thank you for creating this giant list of bugs. I’m fairly new to the game and have only experienced a few of them so far. But its good to know that the problem is not me or my system, its something wrong with the game. It makes me worry less, will tell myself to just try to relog and fix it instead of freaking out.

@SleepyBunny, Welcome to the game!
This game is awesome and if you allow yourself to get passed the annoyance of constant re-logging, I’m sure you will embrace it as much as we did. I’ve played this game for about two years and i’ve had some days of swearing my but off at the game because of what i’ve lost because of these exact bugs. BUT, the community is great, the dev’s are great and re-logging has become second nature, no one is bothered by it per say and we are here to have fun!
I still wish more of the old Orbus would be in the game, but, that’s another story.
Now that this post has been done (Thank you SCOTT!!!) at least it’s out in the open and if the dev’s can figure out what it is, and if they do, this game, in my opinion will definitely a Merritt 9/10 score! (I would of gave you 10 had I not seen the old Orbus! LOL)
So I suggest you stick with us, and have tons of fun!! (Especially in Raids and Dungeons)

1 Like

We discussed these in one of our meetings, analyzing how we can tackle them and trying to see where they come from. Just a quick note first, while it’s understandable to think that all of these are caused by the same general issue from a player side look, many aren’t related and some are even purely client side or server side.

That being said, the main issue is reproducibility. There’s a giant difference between some we can replicate on our side in a dev environment (to which we can add way more logging, tweak tons of variables, restart the zones and server over and over, stuff that we can’t do on the live server) and those we can’t in terms of being able to track it down and fix it quickly.

As you pointed out before, most of these bugs only happen, or happen more often, with many players around. We do have a game plan to hopefully simulate that environment during testing in the future. That’s something we’re investigating and we’ll be working on that.

As a starting point and question to anyone willing to put in their 2 cents, what would you say is the top 4 most common of these issues that you think are desyncs? Not necessarily the most frustrating, but the most reliably occurring ones?

PS: We also have a good lead on crash reporting that we hope to implement in the near future which should in theory not only help with client crashes but also Oculus Quest reporting. We’ll let you know when we have news about that.

4 Likes

None of those are happening “reliably” i think. That is the reason you could not reproduce them.
But those which are happening most often to me are:

• inventory bugs: When I think I took an item from the chest and they disappear once I leave the player house, or items not showing in the inventory (move anything around to refresh… those)
  • Some of the status info are not showing: no healthbars, no info about the shard (%, time, etc. once the shard dungeon was started)
  • “Stuck in combat”, when you are not actually in combat but can not mount and speed is reuced, but i think you can change classes for example. Stuck combat button does not help. Scott described it much better.
  • Shaman orbs not spawning in dungeon (just because i play shaman more often than musky or the others with similar problems)

None of them are reliably occuring as far as I know. Sometimes one of the bugs decides to happen more often, but with the amount I played it evens out. RNG ya know.

That is why it also seems like most of them are the same thing. If they are not, I mentioned alot of bugs and I know some of the bugs are probably more complicated then that like you said. But I am still thinking many of them are the same problem.

Definitely understand that. Like I said, hopefully if we get the ability to simulate something closer to a live environment on dev then we’ll be able to see these things appear much more commonly.

1 Like

Slightly off topic but please get that Crash reporter up and running asap! its my number 1 issue with the game currently. I lose count of how many times I crash per week so I hope your ready for me to use that reporter tool a lot when it comes out :wink:

More on topic. I think raid boss 4 add minions spawning but not having health bars appear might be a somewhat frequent bug? It would happen to 1 person out of 10 when they spawn 3 / 4 times during the fight. But like others have said its not a guarantee for that to happen. perhaps its the way they spawn in or how there’s 10 people compared to the usual 5 from a dungeon that it happens? I assume they spawn in the same way a resurrected minion does as that’s also usually why the health bar doesn’t appear from my experience.

1 Like

Most common by far that I’ve noticed is shaman orbs not spawning, and stuck combat not getting me out of (a typically lack of) combat. I’m trying to send in bug reports everytime it happens, but in shard runs and raids I’m more focused on just doing my job :confused:

Inventory Bugs - happening very frequently, actually I had an impression since the OG there was certain tiles which were always broke (like items vanishing when put into that one); needs more testing, I can watch this theory in reborn and write reports if it happens.

Musky Turret gone, Shaman orbs not spawning, Dead and not able to reawaken (all frequent) and reports in general: I’d love to report all these happening but as each and every dungeon bug I don’t have the time to do it and write it up. Simply not possible to report bugs if the timer is ticking and you are stressed out already, needing to relog or change classes to fix that.
I dunno if there could be any system where we dont have to type a bug report, but perhaps even pre-write the things we wanted to report during dungeon runs so it’s just a matter of secs.

Things like

• Critter Hunt, critters not spawning after horn, or poop still there (VERY frequent, can reproduce these in less than an hour playing I believe)
  • Health bars of mobs not showing

Would it really be helpful if we write reports about this every time, or, more reports at least? They happen in dungeons, but also in the overworld all the time, but I thought it’s that frequent that devs don’t need more data, might be wrong tho.

1 Like

I would volunteer to have my character get imported into the test server and if many more are willing, you could end up with a testing player base where debug can be enabled and whatnot, sure, affecting the performance, but if it does replicate the bugs we see, perhaps might be worth while?

1 Like

I don’t play any classes other than mage, so I can’t speak to the bugs of those classes, but as a mage I experience desyncs pretty often. I would say once or sometimes twice per play session. I’ll just be casting spells, then my wand will stop working. The wand still draws, but when I click the button to submit the spell nothing happens (no spell and no sparkles saying I did the spell wrong). I can still see other people moving when this happens, and I can still hear them in game, but I always have to relog to fix it. I don’t know why it happens so I can’t replicate it.

Then there is the one where the game thinks that there is a spell on your wand so you can’t draw anything. This will sometimes happen while casting spells, and you can fix it by pressing both triggers and activating the super to clear the spell off the wand.

I would like to point out that you can activate your super while your weapon isn’t even out. This has tripped me up in PvP many times because I will get an affliction 2 ready, and when I get to the fight the affliction is on my wand, but won’t shoot because the game has cleared the spell.

Sometimes the game will run smooth for hours? and other times, I will relog 4 times in 10 minutes because of the bugs/desyncs…

One of the most common ones for me is the inventory bugging out, I’ve sent quite a few in game bug reports for it, most noticable for me when trying to bank quite a few items at once, use the button to put all items in the bank and something that should go in doesn’t go into it’s stack in the bank and stays in the inventory, to fix it, you have to the items next to each other either both in the bank or both in the inventory and then join the stacks together

I haven’t raided in quite a while but every time I would raid someone in the raid would get the health bar issue on boss 4 like ewok said so that could probably be reproduced easily enough

Desync on death, I’m not sure how reproducible it is, but I’ve noticed it happens sometimes when you have some sort of “sudden death” which can be lots of incoming damage happening in a very short burst, I’ve had it happen while in PvP when being spammed by attacks from paladin/scoundrel, might be worth looking into that

Stuck in combat is also a very common one, not sure if I can provide any extra info on how it happens though

Shaman orbs not respawning, for one. Similarly, totems can take a touch longer to respawn or just won’t respawn at all

Also, load-outs breaking. Of course, there’s the times when I’ll go from say Shaman to Warrior, but my armor and totems stay equipped, and then there’s other time, where, say, I was changing classes from Shaman to Scoundrel, but not only does the armor not change, but the 4 slots for equipping totems are still open, and my totems are still out, but it says my pistol is equipped. I typically fix it by changing to the first class, and that typically fixes it, but my load-out will still break as a result.
And, of course, being stuck in combat when I am in fact not in combat. The stuck combat feature is useless, and going to graveyard has worked less and less in recent weeks. I pretty much have to aggro an enemy just to kill it for it to work as normal.
Also, sometimes auto-run gets stuck, and no matter what way I move the control stick, I keep moving towards my head gaze.
And similarly to the class swap thing, sometimes items on my toolbelt won’t change or will even disappear altogether(happens with fishing rod).
Also, critter capture will often not work. I’ll stand exactly on top of the poop, and it just won’t activate. It seems to happen more often with net gun 1 than net gun 2. Sometimes, the critters will even spawn, but the poop stays until all the critters despawn.
This one is a bit more infrequent, but sometimes in dungeons HP bars will show as empty even though the boss very much so has health left.
Also random, and I may just be doing it wrong, but totemic calling doesn’t work. Like, ever. I’ve tried every method I could think of, it just does not work. Though I don’t think it’s related to the desync bug
Another rare one, also unlikely caused by the desync bug, but when I did a raid about a week back, the skybox just straight up disappeared during the 5th boss. I have screenshots I can eventually pull off my Quest, but it looked black with a white grid pattern of sorts, in a square wrapping around the map. My Quest later crashed, and restarting the game seemed to have fixed it.
That’s all the time we’ve got. I’ve got to get back to playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf on my Nintendo 3DS. See you around.

1 Like

This can actually be reliable in breaking by walking towards the playerhouse while switching. I am guessing the loadout switch gets cancelled everytime something in the surrounding gets loaded into render distance.

1 Like

Another frequent one: if you kill a caster while they’re link shielding an enemy the shielded enemy is invincible until the shield timer is up.

Basically, you have to interrupt a caster before killing them if they’re link shielding otherwise you lose precious time due to immortal enemies

1 Like

As I also play in off-peak times, I can say that I still experience these issues even when there are less than 15 players online at a time. In dungeon queue we get the usual one or two players not being able to hear another, players appearing dead when not, players randomly not being able to use their class properly etc. I have bad internet on my end but I seem to get these as often as others in the group with better internet.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sorry for the late extra post, but I just want to add that literally everything in the game that has server and client side agreement on the state of something can desync. And it is guaranteed going to happen at least once if its only a single action like click of a button. I mentioned not even half of them. This is why I stay behind the problem being a general sync up design problem.

The best way to tackle this problem I would say is not finding the action that so called causes the bug the most because they should all be equally happening if my asssumption is right. But find the action you can let happen the most. I would say in the non dev environment that would bw attacking of an enemy. 5 ppl attacking a boss for a few minutes gives alot of individual attacks were there might be one attack not synced up on one of the 5 clients. Chances are it happens at least once every fight were one of the 5 players didn’t get the message of an attack of one of the 5 players. Add some debugging code there or even comparing code to immediately find out 1 client didn’t get message and you have yourself a good test scenario.

Maybe in a dev environment letting a ‘buy item button’ press 24/7 on a timer with checking if it worked code and your golden xD (but ya maybe you need ppl around it for it to break too)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.