I want to mention a bug with Orbus that seems to be a big problem that causes a wide variety of bugs. This has been there as long as I can remember, and I am going to name as much of them as I see necessary so you can see the big picture.
The general problem is, something happened that I am guessing the server is suppose to tell the client that happened. But the message never arrived at the client. Causing a desync on the client/server state. It seems to be a systematic problem with MANY MANY things in the game. I am really feeling this is more of a base of code keeping messages synced bug then specific bugs by now.
Okay here we go. Lets start with all the classes
- Musky turret sometimes decides to never spawn on the belt anymore. So you deployed your turret and you can forget getting it back ever until you switch classes and basically request again for the turret by becoming a musky again.
- Bard orbs will not deselect or select or a completely empowered orb will not be firable because it probably already fired the first time you tapped it. But only the server registered that and didn’t tell the client.
- Shaman orbs sometimes don’t spawn back on the totem anymore. Same for shaman totems but they spawn delayed. I am guessing a request is made every X seconds again for the totems so it still comes back but waaay too late.
- Mage spells don’t pop or anything. It happens rarely. Another bug is that you are sometimes not able to cast anymore with mage spells because I am pretty sure the server still thinks you have your super or another spell on your wand while the client thinks you don’t have that spell on your wand anymore. (pressing super both triggers again fixes it most of the times)
- Ranger weak spots will not disappear on target and hang around forever.
- Scoundrel your cards will stop regening making it impossible for you to grab cards anymore until you switch classes. a.k.a. scoundrel cards broke.
- Warrior will sometimes lose the ability to use their sword. I am guessing this is a complete disconnect between the server and warrior sword tracking. So no approve messages from server anymore. Secondly warrior can sometimes use their horn but on the client side it did not go off. So your horn won’t disappear and there is no noise etc. Other ppl can see you did it but you yourself can’t. Lastly, warrior shield will sometimes not break on the client side or not unbreak (stay red while being back up). You can still find out if it broke though by getting hit through your shield or other way around where you can still block with a red shield.
- Paladin like to break on their books. You grab a heal book and youuuu didn’t heal up… and the book didn’t work. Other ppl will tell you you did heal up. Just keep spamming that one book that didn’t work until it is off cooldown on the server side which will trigger the request again and your desync of your book is gone. You can also groundslam the ground and not get any indication you groundslammed anything while in fact you did. You will also be tricked you still have your globes but you don’t have that.
- All classes experience the SUPER desync. Your super can be visually stuck on your weapon until you use your super again or switch zones/relog.
Now for the general combat bugs
- You can kill a monster and the server knows you are out of combat but you aren’t on the client side. So you will stay stuck in the combat speed. Pressing the “stuck combat” button won’t work probably because it will request the server to set the player out of combat. But its already out of combat so it won’t tell the client it did that.
- The opposite is also true, you will get in combat but the client never got the confirmation. So you can move with your maximum speed and run around with your mount when being in combat with a monster.
- When you hit a target, you will normally see on the target a dmg number showing how much dmg you do on that hit. This can also desync. Which means the server will get the message, and some ppl will also see the hit number, but you didn’t get the confirmation on the client. This will then also mean you will miss the number in the combat.log file and your dps might be very different if person B uses the same combat parser.
- The opposite is true too. A target hits you majorly (like oops I got a tankbuster in the face). You know your almost death but you look at your healthbar and nop its full. But THATS A LIE! you will die next normal hit. The healthbar didn’t update because again the server didn’t confirm it happened to the client.
- The same is true for healing. Luckily for healing it is a process that happens most of the times every second with renew effects. So missing the I got healed on the client will be fixed the next second by the next tick of I got healed. Unless the only thing you want to know if you got a big heal and nothing else. Which will bring you sometimes in trouble not knowing your health in advance.
- Healthbars don’t show up when you start combat with monsters sometimes. (don’t know if this is a desync thing but I wouldn’t be surprised). This can be frustrating for longer fights. But mostly for boss 4 of the raid where healthbar coordination is needed.
- Rare occurrence but I have seen interrupt bars not show up even though they are happening.
- Then you have bosses like boss 5 raid where you don’t see the very important green pools you have to stand in, or sewer slime you don’t see the bucket fall or the boss in green/blue phase. Or you don’t see an animation at all of something that a boss does. Like a tankbuster. Or it will be stuck in walking animation until you move the boss again to let it trigger the stop movement message again.
Out of combat desyncs
- You can try harvesting an item on the ground forever but you will never be able to grab it. Because you guessed it, it got client side desynced xD
- For critter capture when blowing your critter horn it will sometimes not go of on the client side. Same for the poop on the ground it will not disappear even though critters start spawning.
- Accepting dailies counter doesn’t go down while you get a new daily.
- Got no chest from doing a public event where you did get a reward from? Or didn’t even get a pop-up message of a reward even though you did everything for gold? Wait no more, move an item around in your inventory and tada your reward appears in your inventory.
- Mmmmmh my grinding device didn’t lvl up even though I got a chest. That is just the good old desync. Replacing your grinding device resets it.
- Well I didn’t get chest but I am sure I lvled up by now. Relog, it will request showing up the chest again. And it pops into existence. Or walk far away and close again. That helps too.
- Whooaa but what about my shard T16 loot? I didn’t get a chest again. Well first of all don’t lie to yourself. And secondly its time to relog while someone else stays in the dungeon. Because you want the client to re-request the appearance of your chest.
- And what about my roll? It didn’t show up either? I probably just pressed it immediately… NOP your fucked. The client server desync happened, and your roll pop-up shows only once. Reloging won’t trigger showing it. And the devs aren’t allowed to spawn loot that was never there, so you just missed out on your roll. RIP. #BlameDesyncCode
- I am guessing the “can you hear me?” bug is related to all the desync bugs. But this might be more difficult to blame it on just a desync because it systematically decides to not send information to or from a client anymore.
- (added this point in later) often when you trade someone and your done trading ,1 player will be stuck with the trade window still in front of them after the trade. Because of the desync you will not be able to get this trade window out of the way until you restart the game.
Mmmmh but I am death or not… bugs (deserves its own category)
- Welp you just died buddy, but you don’t know that yet. You continue hitting monsters and mmmh none of your hits are registering. Ask your friends “am I death?” and you probably are. Restart your game. because you need to reload the area to fix the desync.
- But if your friends said your not death but just frozen. Well your completely desynced. I am guessing the server doesn’t respond to you at all anymore and you should def restart your game or wait for the client to kick you to the login screen.
- Then we have the fun famous I am death at graveyard. Ya apparently the server decided that after you press Graveyard that you don’t have to know as client that you are alive again. Well there are some fixes for this. Because you are in fact alive and everyone will see you alive. Best option is switching classes. It triggers a recheck and boom your alive again. You can also press graveyard again but there are some scenario’s where you will kill your group (shared pain) or will be unable to res again because you just killed yourself and the group is actually in combat now. Lastly relogging works but ya know thats slow.
- Then we have the walking ghosts. You or a friend rezzes someone or someone goes to graveyard and now that person walks around as a ghost. So the server sended to some ppl that this rezzed person is alive again, but not for others. So some ppl will see that person walk around as a ghost with the group. you also have the opposite ghost of someone that is death that doesn’t look death.
TL;DR Server is not telling client something happened on every aspect of the game. All 8 classes, combat related mechanics, out of combat related happenings like loot and are you death or not. This is a systematic problem for basically everything of the game that needs syncing up information.
I am very sure I can go on with calling out desync bugs but the point is made and I really think the best fix would be finding out how to prevent the server from not continuing to try to tell the client what it needs to know. Instead of trying to find the individual problems related to the specific desync.