The role and purpose of a Ranger

Forgive me if this has been created already.

This is not my idea but rather involves my character and my rangers future in Orbus.

Currently the Ranger class is a bit, meh. The role seems to only be dps. There is no real support options for groups specifically. The ranger offers no support aid and no protection. The ranger has two arrow slots and no arrow is a support arrow. Every role a ranger has could be easily out matched by a Runemage and perhaps a Musketeer. A mage not only has similar dps as a ranger but also has those crucial support spells.

The list goes on and I’m sure others will comment. But the main point here is the ranger is not a priority to groups because its just a dps class with nothing else a group can benefit from.

I would suggest a buff for the ranger in some way to make the class a benefit to have in a group. Perhaps a third arrow, a new slowing arrow or frost arrow, a stun for 3 seconds arrow, or a bleed arrow… or even a healing or rez arrow. Something!

And along with this that trap needs a look at too bc its basically a lapel pin that just sits there.

11 Likes

I second this and would like to add a couple things.

As a rapidity ranger the dps can feel somewhat held back due to a few reasons being;

Speed Cap: There is a speed cap even if you pull your arrows to the entirety they can be pulled, but the dmg sinks to 1or 2. As for rune mage there is not a speed cap besides the casting of ice lance.

Utility: The ranger has few utility or ways of dps. The poison arrow can be outclassed immensely by 2 affliction stacks on top of the fire and other stack of affliction that can be applied. Ranger can only keep one poison up at a time due to the cooldown of poison arrow.

Skill cap: As a precision or rapidity ranger the skill cap can only be so high due to how linear they are. A precision ranger can only increase their dps by having the correct timings and cooldowns of their shots. Rapidity can only fire as fast as the system allows and keeping up with their special arrows.

With that said a couple things come to mind. The ranger needs some way of spreading his or her DoTs with an explosive arrow. This will help with higher tier content due to the ranger only having single target dps other than multi shot (which is never used). Also adding another form of DoT such as a bleed, disease, or even just being able to stack more poison tiers? Lifting or even raising the cap on ranger would reward those who can keep up with it because as of now there is no limit on the runemage which helps them outclass ranger as DPS and utility for that matter.

Runemage may not be the class for everyone but with higher tier content they are the best and if not only dps needed. I hope to see a change in the class because sooner or later the game will be only wanting runemage as dps and ranger will be just a bad choice in all.

6 Likes

In terms of utility, I think repurposing the darkness arrow could be interesting. The new mechanic would be that NPCs in the area of the darkness arrow would have significantly reduced aggro radius. This would be pretty nifty for dungeons, where you need to avoid trash mobs if you want to shoot through to the boss. It would be pretty amazing in the wilds, where you may want to avoid aberrations to gather resources. Also, it wouldn’t be anything totally unprecedented, since mages have polymorph, which serves a similar function.

Range can also be a benefit to rangers (surprise), so having the ability to take shots from further away is one way skill can play into things. However, the leash mechanics and the extremely difficult minimum distance for sniper shot bonus mean it doesn’t have a huge impact, sadly.

In pve distance isn’t an issue, but this is centered around endgame in mind. Most dungeon attacks, if not all, are usually a timed group effort. And we are talking about 20-35 yards for ranger attacks. Therefore the ranger’s ‘range’ is useless in a dungeon/group.

Mainly the ranger needs a qualifying purpose to justify its existence. It doesn’t need to replace a mage but rather be interchangeable, without a favor leaning towards one over the other.

1 Like

Rangers have more armor than a mage, though. Their utility should be less than a mage if their DPS is the same, due to higher survivability.

I agree with a qualifying purpose. Some type of skill, arrow, or talent that gives them a unique ability that helps an entire party. They also have that target thingy. Maybe increases the benefit of hitting the target would be good o.O

A speed buff would also be cool. That aggro thing seems cool.

In some respects, sure, but not completely. That would undermine the whole fantasy RPG, role-based conventions.

As a raid leader, I would almost always rather have a mage than a ranger in my group, and often only bring rangers because I like the player, or couldn’t get a mage. Ranger and mage DPS is on par for single targets, but often what’s most difficult in shard dungeons is dealing with trash mobs, and so in shard dungeons, mage AOE reigns supreme. Rangers also lack utility, whereas mages have shields, slows, polymorphs, decurses, and effective AOE.

-Rangers have no synergy with other rangers or classes. Mages can assist each other keeping targets frosted to get the damage bonus from Ice Lance.

-Rangers lack utility. A couple of fights require mages, especially at high shard levels. A mage to decurse, a mage to get adds with their spells that can curve around bosses, and take the add out in one shot. Mana shield is almost required for T10 Mist Keeper. Polymorph is useful on non-elite mobs, and the slow from frost can save the day when the tank dies at the last minute and the DPS needs to Frost 3 / kite.

-Rangers cannot compete with the AOE damage potential of mages, and therefore make killing trash more difficult.

Suggestions:

-Skill based ability, such as moving target on bosses where accurate hits do more damage
-Decurse arrow
-AoE ability that is better than fire arrow (shorter cool-down, more damage, not red like an AOE - that’s scary in Soul Keeper!)
-Passive buff to party that could be toggled between damage boost or protection
-Slow arrow or more powerful trap

Or just a flat buff to their DPS.

9 Likes

Doesn’t that hunters mark provide bonus 5% dmg? Just saying, ideally to max DPS you could use weakness orb, ranger charged shot, warrior party buff, and shield slam.

The debuff alone is worth having a ranger in the party.

Hunters Mark isn’t very efficient on trash mobs. It isn’t reason enough for me to bring a ranger over a mage.

1 Like

I agree with most things lust here and want to repeat my plea to remove the speed cap for repidaty. Turn the trap in to an arrow and give us a 3rd or 4th slot.

The only role of a ranger is single-target dps, but even in that role mages are better and if we count the overall mage’s dps (aoe included) they clearly outdps a ranger (and that’s pve, let’s not talk about pvp).
As already stated multiple times, mages also have a lot of utility making them the ultimate choice.
If mages excel in aoe damage and utility, rangers should excel in single-target damage, there are many options to let them compete with mages:

• Increase their base damage
  • Add another arrow slot
  • Add a bleed or any dot to the piercing arrow
  • Make the trap working against elites
  • Give a scaling damage bonus for not missing arrows (to also increase the skill cap)
  • Add more bonuses range-based (though that would need to rework some other stuff to let them use all the range potential, like the warrior’s blessing range which is already pretty low)
  • Buff/change the ultimate to be more balanced with the mage’s ult (the total damage single-target is pretty balanced, but again if the mage’s ult hits 2 targets its total damage is double than ranger’s ult)
7 Likes

Orbs definitely increase dps and so does the bar for rapidity and precision but as a skill cap the timing for runesets and special arrows is more of a hard thing to do correctly. Not to say precision’s perfect shot isn’t hard but something that is not on paper to increase dps further.

1 Like

Please don’t do this.

For one rapidity is already heavily dependent on hardware. Removing the cap would exasperate this.

It’s also an ergonomic nightmare. We’ve had multiple people injure themselves trying to keep up with the current speed cap, including a teenager in their physical prime whose elbow started making popping noises. Even if a small group of people could handle it, the vast majority can not and a video game should not encourage people to harm themselves.

2 Likes

Then add speed caps for warrior and mage if it is such a problem. I have heard much more complaints from warriors having injuries than rangers.

Speed caps are not the solution. Increase dps through bleed on ranger shots. Problem solved.

Depends on how you are dealing with each group of trash mobs and the modifier on your shard. Sometimes it’s better to focus fire on 1 mob at a time to control instant damage or poison pools.

I agree, rangers could use a little buff for PvE

I think this is a great idea and makes the most sense

4 Likes

This is basically already implemented.
Consecutive shots = More Ult-charge/orbs = More damage.

I would rather we get more arrows to utilize and strategize with.
You are essentially forced into using Poison/Piercing.

A quick solution could be to buff Fire Rain Arrow or give us a third arrow slot to put Fire Rain Arrow in our rotation every 30 seconds.

4 Likes

Yes please :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

End-game oriented warriors already experience a cap on how many combos register. Yes warriors do injure themselves because wound is a horrible combination to pull off. Wound definitely should be re-thought, but provoke seems to be much better ergonomically.

As for mages, there is an animation cooldown on ice lance which provides a cap, I don’t think further caps are necessary because single-target ranger and mage dps is comparable right now. The problem lies in ranger utility/AoE clear ability.

4 Likes