This looks amazing, is it worth it to buy a Rift or Vive?

Maybe the Vive just spoiled me. Hubby has a Vive and got me hooked on Orbus. We ended up getting a new computer and a Rift for me. I am fine playing the Vive with my glasses but I can’t with the Rift. To me fair my eyes are atrocious. I normally wear contacts so it’s not a big deal for me.
I much rather the Rift controllers. They are so comfortable! It’s nice To be able to just pop some double As in and keep playing.
The Rift headset is much lighter and more comfortable also.
It feels cheap compared to the Vive. The Vive feels so well made.
I wish I could run my Rift through Steam VR only.
All that said I rather my Rift over Jinxes Vive.

1 Like

You can play games through steam without an issue using Rift if that’s what you mean, but the other way around is a bit more complicated as you need third party software to do so

Oh yah but I mean i wish I could just use Steam vr home only instead of having to go through Oculus home than through Steam.

This is also extremely helpful information, and I realize I forgot one question that is somewhat important to me and, bothersome in most games with motion/combat controls.

Can you play left handed?

While I can surely play right handed with no issues, I’m a native left handed person and holding a shield in my right and swinging a sword with my left feels much more natural.

If this isn’t a feature yet, I do hope it’s implemented to give more of an immersive experience.

You can absolutely play left handed. :slight_smile: It’s as easy as switching the equipment slot.

DEAR LORD. This game is my everything. Does anyone play in somewhat small space? Is it problematic? I don’t have an extremely large gaming area anymore, just a small desk MAYBE 5 feet backwards of open space. A small square so to speak.

I know right? The touch controllers are just so amazing. Furthermore, i started using 2700 mAh encore recharcheables. Those would hold power 1-2 days a set. Then, since i had recharger slots for two more, i bought a set of tecxus 2700 mAh batteries. These have currently been going strong on hmm 4th day now i think?

Batteries are definetely not created equal, even if they list the same mAh. And with the super nice touch controllers it only takes a few seconds to switch a pair :smiley:

Sad to hear that you can’t use your rift with glasses on, but that just goes to show that there is a size limit on rift where the vive hmd is more spacious.

All in all it is good input for the OP then, as it would probably be a good idea to go try both on for size (pun intended haha) before making the purchase :smiley:

Both small and large spaces work. With small spaces you will probably want to turn by controller rather than turning around too much for real. A large space gives you more freedom ofcourse but that being said you can even play sitting down if you want to.

That being said, having space enough to stretch your arms to all sides is a good idea, both for the sake of you, your controllers and everything else around you (items, wife, kids, pets etc haha)

A friend of mine may ship his Vive to me to try, he’s a great guy. First step is seeing if my PC can run this, and I’ve gotten a few specs on here, and I think I might be ok.

So far this is the most receptive, responsive, kind forum of an MMO I’ve been a part of that isn’t mean or condescending.

Now my life choices will be very hard, lol.

Well, you can soothe your conscience a bit by telling yourself and others that VR can also be pretty healthy,

I’ve lost 8 kilos (16 pounds for metric challenged haha) since i got VR a month or two ago. So if you’re into getting a good excercise that is also fun, VR is a great place, especially if you play warrior or ranger.

On top, there are great excercise games out there as well like f ex BoxVR and Beat Saber. Check them out while you are at it :wink:

1 Like

This is the way to sell this to my wife. OndeTv, you are a genius.

Vive vs Rift, I’ll give my opinion: I went to a VRcade and used both. They are so comparable in so many ways when you compare platform vs platform that I went with the Rift because I like the touch controllers slightly better.

Also don’t be afraid if you get the game to ask around and ask people things in game, a lot of the time if you ask a level 20 for help with something if they are not doing something they will help you for free

Some extra addition to what Richleth said, the lever 20 players might be on discord, so it might be hard for them to understand what you say in game, so it might take some time to mute discord and enable voice chat in the game, so if they are not responding immediately, it doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t care :wink:

1 Like

True that. Mostly if they are in a discord call they are talking with friends to avoid the bad in game speaking or busy waiting to do shards or raids to avoid in game speaking due to the glitch so they would be busy in the second case and would not be able to help them complete a quest but could answer a few questions.

Ah that brings up a good question, I know you have headphones depending on device, but how do you speak back if your PC doesn’t have a MIC? Does Vive or Rift have built in Mic?

Using Discord would interrupt the immersiveness in my opinion but I know it’s a great resource for help and communication.

Thanks again all.

*just saw this on the Wiki - By default Voice Chat is enabled, so be sure that on your PC your Input device is set to your HMD microphone (it shows up as ‘USB Device’ for me but does that mean HMD is the VR head set?

Both Vive and Rift has built-in mics :slight_smile: and they are usually both good quality ones :wink:

1 Like

I’ll tell u this… I spent an ungodly amount of money on a new alienware pc and the vice pro bundle… played Orbus for about 30 mins last night and it was totally worth it… so much fun and the community was awesome… people quick to talk to u…quick to help… really awesome… I mean its mmorpg in VR… the vive controllers do take some getting used to with the touch pad of u dont intend to use teleport… rift is much easier as it’s more like a normal controller movement most of us are familiar with… but I made lots of progress learning how to use the touch pad for movement in just one night…so I give it a few more sessions and it wont be an issue… but absolutely upgrading your gear to play this game is worth it…

1 Like

The best advice I ever got about this game is that the stuff that sucks makes you so angry because the stuff that’s good is so good. I feel like a lot of people who love this game also hate it for similar reasons. Periodically stepping back and reminding yourself that this exists contributes to its longevity, because there’s really nothing at all like it. You’ll be telling your kids you played Orbus xD

Message me the stuff that sucks and makes you angry, lol. I’m curious.