This looks amazing, is it worth it to buy a Rift or Vive?

Greetings Orbus community!

I just stumbled on this game while surfing Kickstarter and I have to say I am impressed and now drooling to buy a Vive or Rift. Can you advise if one is better or not for this particular game?

I am going to do some research to see if my PC can even handle the game/VR experience.

More over I also wear glasses and have had a tough time on 3D/VR experiences before, do the Vive or Rift work well with glasses? I wear simple plastic frames, nothing big or major.

A VRMMO is something Iā€™ve been dreaming about for the longest time, not to mention watching SAO.

The cost for either device is a bit steep, so not sure how Iā€™d do that just yet, but Iā€™ll figure that out later.

If this isnā€™t the proper location for this post, please let me know and I will move or delete.

Thank you!
-Jeff

Can safely say this was the best purchase Iā€™ve made for VR, I personally use a Oculus which is been perfectly fine so far! The community is small having around 200 concurrent at peek but itā€™s the nicest community Iā€™ve ever had the pressure to meet, There is a nice lump of end game content which is quite challenging for you as a solo player and for your team.

Letā€™s just say Iā€™ve been here for about 5 weeks with over 2 weeks ingame time and I wonā€™t be leaving anytime soon! Would be a great to see another person join the community!

6 Likes

Oh geez, youā€™ve said all the right things. Can I ask what your PC setup is?

I send you a private message!

Wanted to say I love my Rift but if you wear glasses you prob want a Vive

A while back the vive was the better choice for me ā€¦ it came as a ready to use room scale purchase out of the box.

Currently both offer room scale out the box.

Vive controllers and headset are slightly heavier and bulkier.
Vive uses internal batteries in the controllers and need to charge them after about 2.5 - 4 hours of use, oculus uses replaceable batteries, so infinite battery life essentially.
Vive has a track pad in place of the oculus joystick.

I thoroughly enjoy my vive and have had no issues with it. I did try both systems and I decided on the vive. The controllers fit my large hands better and the weight didnā€™t bother meā€¦ also as I said at the time it was a room scale out of the box and offered the upper hand in tracking.

Think about other games you might play too. Such as oculus tiles or vive port exclusives. And or customization options and other addons.

But both are great systems.

1 Like

Can you help me out why Vive is better if you wear glasses?

Because itā€™s bigger more space to fit the glasses

1 Like

There is a cut our where the glassesā€™ eye to ear ā€˜ā€˜railā€™ā€™ would be. It essentially allows a space for a pair of glasses to be comfortably.

1 Like

Like Chezil i use the Oculus Rift, and i wear glasses. Glasses fit fine unless you are wearing exceptionally large ones (which i donā€™t). I havenā€™t tried the Vive though, so i canā€™t say if that is better, same or worse than rift regarding glasses.

I am a fairly new consumber of VR myself, but Orbus is also one of the titles iā€™ve played the most having already spent 72 hours in the game according to the oculus library details.

As SixtySix mentions both rift and vive have their own pros and cons. You can find a lot of articles comparing these in depth if you google a bit as well :slight_smile:

Oh, lastly iā€™ve read that for people willing to go the ā€œextra mileā€, there are a few places you can even get custom glass inserts made for your vr headset, so that you donā€™t have to wear your glasses. That is the extent of what i know about it though.

Personally using the vive pro and am thrilled with it. ~70% higher pixel density than the Oculus or original vive, super comfortable. It is expensive as hell though.

1 Like

thanks for that info!

Cant comment on the glasses thing, but the defective track pad issue with the vive controller that i keep hearing about, plus the internal batteries are enough to keep me away from it. You can buy an extra sensor for the rift (giving it roomscale) and have it still be cheaper than a vive.

Are you the type of person that binges MMOs? Are you likely to spend several hours playing at a time? Do you want to have to stop playing to charge your controllers, or plug them into a battery pack? Terrible design. Although i guess you could just buy another set of controllers to have as back up (for 130 bucks PER controller) Regular Eneloop AA rechargables last for 3ish days of 10+ hours (per day) of playing on the Oculus touch controllers, and can be swapped out in less than a minuteā€¦

But none of that really matters if you cant comfortably wear it with your glasses, so id try to find somewhere you can try them out first.

2 Likes

I donā€™t wear glasses so I canā€™t help you much from that perspective, unfortunately. I just wanted to touch on a couple differences between the two that I hadnā€™t seen mentioned already.

If youā€™re super into audio quality and want to use your own headphones the Vive may be the better choice as you are required to use your own headphones with the base Vive kit. Itā€™s a little thing but not having to work around the built in rift headphones may be worth it to you. On the flip side, if you arenā€™t super into audio and donā€™t want to hassle with another wire and object to strap yourself into every time then thatā€™s a pro in the rift column.

If you plan to play for long periods of time you may want to go with the rift as it is way more comfortable out of the box. The Viveā€™s straps are pretty terrible and, while it has the deluxe audio strap accessory you can purchase to improve the comfort of that HMD, it is an additional $100.

Not a super thorough description of either system, but I feel like those are two key differences Iā€™ve noticed between the headsets that new buyers may want to be aware of.

1 Like

One of my controllers have this defective thing, fortynatley, Orbus does not have so u need to pushe down the right side of pad. So Ive been fine :grin:

Been working around it in other games as well, so not something i think about at all really.

This topic has loads of comments regarding the differences between the two systems :wink: For glasses, Iā€™m using my rift with glasses, though I personally feel that my glasses are a bit too close to the lenses of the rift :wink:

Iā€™ve heard of issues with the Oculus audio failing, so that should be noted. But I have a great pair of open back headphones that are amazing in VR, and way more comfortable than the stock ones, so Iā€™ve never had to deal with that.

1. I would say that this is a great buy and you should try the game and get a vive; i am a rift player and had problems with rift.

2. GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290 equivalent or better
    CPU: Intel i5-4590, AMD FX 8350 equivalent or better
    RAM: 4 GB or more
    Video Output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
    USB Port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
    Operating System: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 or later, Windows 10
    source:http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/can-i-run-the-htc-vive-2936671 you should be fine as today these are low specs.
    As per the steam page:
    MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4950 or AMD FX 8350
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290
    DirectX: Version 10
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 4 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1080 or equivalent
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 4 GB available space

3. I also wear glasses in vr but I donā€™t recommend wearing glasses in vr; you can but i recommend purchasing these as your prescription https://vr-lens-lab.com/ they are inserts you can use to not have to use glasses in vr.

4. Just some friendly advice, try each class but if you want to be a dps you want to avoid mage. Ranger in this game at high levels is rarely taken on high level raids or dungeon runs as to mage being better at defeating trash mobs. Every other class is very well desired but just avoid Ranger.

If your having problems with your glasses (or just donā€™t want to wear glasses in vr) I would recommend buying vr lens inserts from here https://vr-lens-lab.com/ as you wonā€™t have to wear your glasses in vr. It seems like ā‚¬147,00 is the most you spend if you want to have everything offered with a high prescription

Last i bought glasses, I bought 1 normal pair, and 1 huge pair (for vr and car driving) :joy: