Vulnerability points

I’m suggesting adding a new combat mechanic that introduces a vulnerability location on NPC’s, damage dealt to that region would be increased by a scalar.

I think Rangers charged shot, along with Musketeers weakness orb should have a percent chance of triggering this mechanic.

How vulnerability points would work in an ideal setting.

• Charged shot or weakness orb collides with NPC mesh at location P.
  • Probability check for generating VP is done. If it is successful continue.
  • Vulnerability Point graphic is attached to location P.
    • Vulnerability Point graphic is set as a child element to the mesh, moving with the mesh animation.
    • Sound clip plays, giving audio confirmation of a VP.
    • Vulnerability Point has a short, fixed duration until it disappears (3 - 5s ?).
  • Collisions within a certain radius of the vulnerability point will have damage scaled.

This mechanic would have many positive effects on gameplay.

• Rangers have limited group utility outside of raw dps, this would make them more desirable.
  • Players would be rewarded for having better accuracy.
  • Weakness orb would be utilized more often in small group settings.
  • Combat would be more interactive, dynamic, and fun. (instead of aiming for a rectangular boundary box)
  • World boss encounters with numerous VPs triggering would be awesome.

Realistic implementation of this mechanic

There are two major limiting factors for implementing VPs.

1. Currently implemented collision detection is based upon a boundary box around the NPC, not on the mesh.
  2. VR is computationally demanding, the implementation would need to have a light CPU footprint.

My solution to these issues would be:

• For each NPC, manually (or algorithmically, more below) add a small number (10?) of pre-defined VP locations on the mesh and store them in array (VP array).
  • When a charged shot or weakness orb collision occurs on the boundary box at point P_box, and a VP event is instantiated…
    • Iterate through VP array, calculate each vector distance from P_box, activate VP node with smallest distance.
  • When a collision is detected while at least one VP node is active…
    • Again, iterate through VP array, calculate vector distance from new collision point P_collision, find VP node that minimizes the distance (VP_closest).
    • If VP_closest node is active
      • damage = VP_scalar * damage;
    • else: normal damage.

This approach should have a light CPU footprint if VP_array is small, yet still allow for sufficiently accurate collision detection given the boundary box collision implementation.

Adding VP node sites to currently existing NPCs
This could be done manually, or perhaps algorithmically. My suggestion is below… in pseudo pseudo code.

• For each NPC:
    • Iterate through each mesh point P.
      *Iterate through each VP_point in VP_array.
      • Ensure distance between VP_point and P > some spread distance.
      • Ensure Y component of P is within the interval (min height, max height).
      • Ensure Z component of the vector orthonormal to the plane tangent of P, relative to world space, is within an interval (-z,z) where z is tailored to filter out VP points being generated underneath, and on top of the mesh.
      • Push P into VP_array.
      • If VP_array reaches the desired size, break.

I really think this mechanic could work and would add more depth to the repetitive NPC combat system. Thanks for reading.

10 Likes

Nice! It would be cool to have vulnerability points for some big bosses!

I really like this, think it would make things a lot more interesting if implemented right

This is excellent! Game is really missing this and headshots. Good job working it out in such detail

I applaud your well thought out suggestion, I was going to complain about cpu load and the current limited collision detection system but you had that down. It would be neat for shot placement to matter.

Very beautifully written, and a great idea.
To build off of this, since this is basing and adding a feature to only two classes, as a oppose to a dynamic system for all classes.

Warriors
Each time they block successfully they can have a very low percentage of triggering this event.
Then during the event in order to do successful double damage or whatever the cause would be, they would have to stab that part, giving it the feeling of piercing through the armor ect.

Mages
Because these are such a high skill class, I would give them a combo requirement of getting 3 different spells cast.
Example
Fireball -> affliction -> ice lance -> 10% chance it will trigger the event.

Reason why I would give rune mages a higher chance for triggering the event is because a lot of skill would require to cast three separate spells.

Can we get a cash shop to get this guy on the team long enough to get this in the game!? xD

At high levels as a runemage three separate spells types are very easy and almost always done in Tradu by mages frost fire then arcane blast; what I propose is for more % chance more spells are required 1 spell:0.01% chance of triggering (less than warrior) 2 spells:1% chance 3 spells:5% 4 spells:10% 5 spells:25%-50% 5 spells in a row of different types (artificing exists so that should be easy) at a short to medium speed in between casts to cast all 5 offensive spell types in a row at short to medium delay is hard enough this would facilitate high level runemages who can do all spells to use pushback and affliction in their artificing builds as to maximize damage from this idea.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.