Warrior sword hit detection bug

Today’s patch fixes nothing, please revert all changes until you figure this one out, otherwise warrior class is absolutely unplayable. The right/left slashes are somewhat better but the upwards slash is still 100% broken. Tested this on every creature I could find in frosted spit, it left me very discouraged and a disappointed.

well, i would like to tell my experience too.
i have noticed, as some others, that the upwads swing is super hard to do… the left and right are good so far, but the upwads is like 30% of the time detecting as a side swing… i need to swing super hard upwards to let it detect and i find is a little bit too much. i cant play for more than 1.5 hours straight withought a break because my right arm gets super tired :smiley:
thats the only thing i noticed .
its just the upwards detection where i got much troubles

1 Like

Instead of using strict hitboxes, why not do something such that warriors have a cone in front of them where swings will be tracked, and if there are enemies in that cone, then whichever is closest to the warrior will be determined to be the target. This could also include partial hitboxes EG you’re technically inside an enemy’s hitbox but there is still 50% of it’s hitbox in front of you ergo it’s counted as the closest one. I imagine people typically only swipe near the center of their vision and not way off to the edges outside of their sweet spots. This would, of course completely ruin the ability to slash at things you aren’t directly looking at but I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen anyone do that anyway, certainly not something I’ve ever done myself.

when i’m off work i’ll have to try the new system on a variety of mobs instead of just the HS dummy

i was happy with the old system but if this is the only way to fix the upward swing and hit boxes then so be it

1 Like

I am also not enjoying the changes. The vertical swing misses a lot now, you shouldn’t have to put all of your might into these swings, I feel like I’m going to break my controller. Surely devs there is a better solution. We need a fix for vertical swings asap, I can get used to the side-to-side even though I think it is STILL too high.

1 Like

Okay, I was already planning on working on the direction detection so I can do that and we can see how it feels since that seems to be a bug issue for many people still.

5 Likes

would it be possible to have a “switch” to change between the old/new swinging so we could better test it out and compare?

Hey Dev Team,

Firstly, great job on the game. Love it!

I signed up to the forums to make this post because even after getting to only level 8 with my warrior, I feel this issue drastically warrants feedback. I’ll be honest, I’m not old, but I’m also not a young man anymore. The speed required to register a hit is too much (even after today’s patch). Some of us like to relax at the end of the day and play at reasonable pace. I’m looking for a challenging game from the environmental content, not an actual challenge in operating my avatar. Personally, I was able to hit nearly all of my swings in the previous system (even upward slashes). The speed required for warriors to land hits under the new system makes my arm want to fall off after just playing for a short while last night, and just a small jump today.

I would suggest lowering the speed for hit detection even further than it is right now (post fix patch). That or I would prefer if warriors were given back the previous patches hit detection system.

All this being said, as a fellow developer of various things, I know how much you guys work on these issues and fully appreciate the time and detail you’re putting into making the community happy. Keep it up! You guys are doing great!

5 Likes

I see diffrent from monday to now also, but it is way to hard, i can almost not take an enemy with yellow tag anymore, im level 18 warrior and i am thinking of starting over with another weapon if it dosent get better

1 Like

tanked the dungeons a few more times today. There’s definitely less speed required now, but it’s still too much. I feel like I’m putting in 1.5x too much effort as opposed to the 3x more effort of yesterday.

1 Like

Today was the first day I had a chance to play the new patch so I dont know how this compares in regards to the monday swing speeds. I threw my arm out playing today. After a couple hours of only half my hits registering I thought my system had stopped tracking me because I could get next to no upswings. I was practically jumping into my upswing. I couldnt kill most mobs with a lower level than me in a one on one because none of my combos would register. The side to side is fine for me its just the upswing that needs some work. Really last weeks system is still how I preffer to swing my sword. Still love this game but I might just be switching classes now.

1 Like

Played about 4-5 hours today, and It does feel a ton better then Monday, I am still having issues getting the speed fast enough for upswings, but otherwise everything feels much better, could be tweaked a little more but at least now I dont feel like I need to swing for the fences for each piece of the combo.

My thoughts on this is that while today’s patch improved it, its still subpar from before.

Not only are upward swings requiring nearly the same amount of effort as before the patch, warriors are still exerting a great amount of force just to land their swings. And this isn’t with better hitboxes which could be improved on certain bosses like Sentry.

Also the changes to make it easier to hit targets while inside them are not working at all. Ive tested this on many mobs and bosses and the result is that its so inconsistent to hit enemies inside you that its simply not even worth attempting compared to repositioning. And nobody is attempting to tank inside a boss so I am not sure if these changes to address that particular issue is worth exhausting people’s energy as warrior. VR is already a workout and hearing about people having very sore arms and taking days off seems to clash with the spirit of making class fun.

Examples

Sentry boss requires you to stand in pretty specific places to land the provoke. Different angles also change that sweet spot. Furthermore standing TOO close but not inside the boss will make all your swings turn into horizontal attacks. Standing too far away and the vertical swing cannot connect because the windup starts too far from the sweet spot.

And this is aside from the AOE mechanic which actually hits you if you are outside the AOE box but standing directly behind the boss. I know you said you fixed the AOE for some of the wilds enemies but the Sentry boss seems to have this problem.

Another example is the fox enemy who’s hitbox is pretty low to the ground. Not only are you forced to factor a fast swing speed in, you also need to adjust the vertical starting point to almost behind your body to hit the fox. And if you are in the middle of the fox, you can forget about your swings even making sense due to the Z axis. It becomes trial and error.

So yeah, my two concerns with this NEW system: One is that the swing speed required is too exhausting. The second is that the hitboxes still need to be improved or the tolerance of where a swing needs to start and end needs to be improved when connecting to count for the combo.

And of course, improved hitboxes would be swell too. I feel like for a VR game and sword play, we should expect a bit of exercise. In a situation however when a warrior is expected to swing their sword thousands of times a day it becomes a bit extreme to require them to swing with this much force repeatedly. What about kids who might not have that kind of endurance? Older players? I’d rather each class be “easy to play” and “hard to master” in a sense.

I hope that you guys will reconsider the purpose of this redesign of the warrior swing mechanic and even roll it back just to see what people think about it on the new content. At least until you guys can come up with new ideas to improve the system as a whole.

4 Likes

The Sentry hit box is terrible, and once locked on, the awful thing decides to reposition. Uggh.

Made a go of warrior yesterday, fought everything from spiders, to swine, to the giant monster swine past the burning wood. So high, normal, low-slung, and the flying dragons before them. Literally all of them were easier to land combos on than any day prior since I began playing orbus a few weeks ago. It’s still a pretty good workout to make your hits land consistently. In terms of functionality the current schema is superior to the old one hands down. I still wouldn’t cry if the swing speed came down a bit, but I could play it where it is now. Using Samsung Odyssey just in case the HMD/Controllers are relevant.

Can someone help me understand something, It sounds like Riley_D is saying there is only one issue when I see two:

I assumed that the hitbox issues and the upward swing issues are separate (but yes they are connected in a way)

Hitbox problems: Sometimes you hit the hitbox sometimes you miss it, regardless if your swing was adequate (proper speed and strength)

Upward swing issue: Requires way more force and speed than the regular side to side swings since yesterday patch. Makes playing really difficult, makes it hard to do actual combos and is very exhausting.

now combine both problems and now you have an even bigger one, but am I crazy to think that these are two separate issues and not just one?

They’re both related to the detection of when a sword hit has occurred, and a part of that detection is determining what direction the swing was happening for combo purposes.

2 Likes

ah thank you Riley, I wasn’t sure, its hard to imagine the mechanics when you aren’t a programmer or cant think like one. Can you let us know if the upward swing will be revisited soon?

It’s literally what I’ve been working on all morning. I should have an update later this morning.

6 Likes

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman, thank you, this made my day!

1 Like