Were some classes nerfed?

I’ve noticed that after the latest patch, my Paladin is no longer able to hold aggro against higher level players and at least one runemage noted that their super damage seemed lower than normal. Had a few players ask why enemies were taking so long to die/had so much HP compared to usual.

Classes weren’t nerfed but instead buffed (damage).

So it is harder to tank now because other classes are doing more damage now.

What about the players mentioning having lower damage than normal or enemies being tougher than normal?

That sounds like they aren’t playing their class right.

2 Likes

Hey there! I helped run dps tests for the balance patch, and I can assure you that nothing was nerfed (there’s even a thread somewhere here where the devs go into details about what was changed). Mages weren’t charged, scoundrels and Rangers were significantly buffed, Shamans were slightly changed, but with higher numbers possible now. A drop in numbers could be due to a change of rotation, dungeon shard modifiers, different tiles, different affixes on armor or weapons, etc.

Tanking will be a little harder now due to all classes being able to sustain appropriate DPS, but with proper gear and rotations it’s possible to hold aggro even against 100k+.

1 Like

I know a few mages have been complaining about their spellcasting casting different spells than normal now. Like they cast Frost and get Fire and cast Fire and Get Frost (or Affliction 2). Is that a bug or are they just casting wrong? (Bugs can happen even if the class wasn’t intentionally changed).

Why wasn’t tanking buffed slightly as well or were they buffed?

(I don’t see this thread about changes, can someone tell me where to find this thread? Or is this thread only visible for certain groups? It isn’t on the orbus blog, which is fairly out of date)

Tanked wasn’t buffed and with the mages, it sounds like something theyre doing wrong

They’re just casting wrong. Nothing was changed with mage whatsoever. Tanking wasn’t changed because the priority was DPS balance and the huge disparity there. The devs are looking at Tanks and Healers for balancing next.

One thing I’d like to note is that the devs not changing the mage class doesn’t mean a patch won’t cause bugs for the mage class. You’d be surprised at how a change in code can cause problems for a seemingly unrelated issue.

I did some casts and I can confirm that Fireball 2 does sometimes become Frost 2 even without using shortcuts (2 lines of difference between the two spells (3 including the 1 line that is closer to the top in Frost 2) and this was with tracing the journal, iirc). Could be a simple issue of those two lines either not being detected/detection priority being off (bug) or being slightly off and not counting (player mistake, which would be made worse by doing shortcuts and small runes)
Not sure how some players are ending up with Affliction though since it seems like the spell would just fail from how different the two are even with one line missing.

Could be a device specific bug, could be purely human error, could be a bug resulting from some other issue.

Also, where are you all finding these patch notes since I don’t see them on the forums or the blog?

I play mage a lot (just in highsteppe and dungeon queue) and nothing changed. Nothing changed in the dev server and nothing changed on the normal server. Again, that sounds like your friends just doing it wrong. Btw you can get frost from a D.

DPS balance patch notes Right here.

Nothing with mage casting changed. The casting system wasn’t touched. This is something that people ask all the times. It’s one of the most frequent things I answer/clarify. The system is working the same as it has, and getting the wrong spell is a result of drawing the rune ambiguously.

The fireball changing into a frost etc has been there since the start of the game. And it is an unintended but accepted effect of the system. Training will make a player being able to control better what spell they will cast.

The devs are only able to tweak the system accuracy. If they increase it, alot more players get frustrated about spells not being castable at all. If they decrease it, the spells will more overlap and more fireballs become frost etc. This has been refined years ago and will not be touched anymore.

4 Likes

Okay, that makes sense (and was one of the things I asked about, though I guess it wasn’t exactly a bug then).

So basically the issue a result of detection priority and spells overlapping. That is why even when I trace a spell on a journal, it sometimes results in a different spell.

System Accuracy could encompass a few things though. Devs could potentially change more than just system accuracy in terms of shape (ie. stroke count/stroke order) and I don’t know if that is already being considered.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.