[**10k+ DRAM PRIZES**] [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Orbus Folk Tales / Fan Fiction Competition!

Congratulations to:
@Bart_D 1st place
@Pepper 2nd place
@Malachite 3rd place

I will be contacting you shortly to schedule a meetup ingame to give you your prize!

Sorry about the delays in the winner decision. I’m getting help from others because I just can’t decide :smiley: (a great problem to have!!!)

A thread was made recently where people could write folk tales about Orbus. I’m taking it to the next level.

Please put your submissions for the contest in this thread.

On January 21 2018 at 12:00 PM CST is when submissions will end and a winner of at least 8,000 DRAM or more will be announced. Second and third place will receive at least 1,000 DRAM. All you have to do is type up a funny/epic/anything story about something in Orbus (heck, you could write a poem). Check out that link in the first paragraph. He has story ideas there to get you started.

Rules:
-1 Submission per person (I’ll take your most recent comment’s story.)
-Submission must be submitted by 12:00 PM (noon) CST on Sunday January 21st 2018

Just to be clear, I will be judging. I will choose whichever story I think deserves 1st 2nd and 3rd.

YOU CAN HELP:
At my stall in Guild City (this thread shows where it is) I will be selling Reedflutes, Roto Spores and Minor Shards for 50 DRAM, 100 DRAM, and 150 DRAM respectively. All profits made from Reedflutes, Roto Spores and Minor Shards will be put into the prize pool for this contest. 80% will go to first place and 10% to second and 10% to third. Remember I’m pulling 10k out of my own pockets so you doing this will help and the more people who show support the more likely I’ll do contests in the future!

Thanks for any donations! Remember any little bit counts! If 1/3 people who viewed my last thread (300 people at the time of writing) bought just 1 Reedflute we’d have an extra 5k in prizes!

Edit on Stream: see 1st comment.

Good luck!
-Bacon

7 Likes

Hmmm… Orbus VR went black after a bit. I did bump the headset though but almost a minute ago. Maybe Orbus has an afk mechanic that turns the screen off. If it does, I’m not sure how to prove that I’m legit. Could @Riley_D perhaps check logs to prove that I’m not hiding anything on the last day instead? I’ve got no problem streaming, but if the game cuts out it ruins the whole point.

Edit: yup, the game goes black after a while. Canceling stream. I hope you guys trust me.

2 Likes

As the narrative designer of Orbus I totally support this and can’t wait to see what people come up with!

8 Likes

I mean we do log all transaction so in theory yes I could verify it, although it would take a lot of work haha. But honestly I’m sure the community can trust your noble cause :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just know some people think I’m going to scam everyone is some evil scheme with my fish and whatnot. Also, side note: thanks for fixing the walls at my stall :smiley: makes it so much easier instead of punching walls lol

Haha, I believe Robert fixed that for you. You’re welcome!

One shot for this occasion. sorry for the grammar, I’m not a native speaker :

Renuk’s wife is sick.

Renuk’s wife is sick. The waterlily in her lung, as the healers say, had grown so big that it’s taking all her breath. Jonie and him were in love for almost 10 years, and he works so hard to pay on the potions to save her. He works in the farm all day, and serves as guard duty in the night. It’s expensive to pay for the fish and storage needed to age a potion. The best ones require almost one week in the farm, but you still need to feed and pay rent, not everyone can afford to own a house.

On this night, Renuk just left his work on the farm, and was on his way to the market to get a healing potion for his wife, something to give her before he goes on guard duty for the night. But the stall was empty, no more healing potion. He couldn’t afford to wait for the next day, it might cost his love her life. The seller was sorry, but he just sold the last one he had, and would not get any more until next week. Renuk ask where the buyer went, and ran in said direction. But never caught up with the man.

Resigned, he went to work, but couldn’t think of anything else but the potion he needed for his wife. He was stressed out, and his companions on duty could easily see that he was disturbed and something was wrong. But the duty is often fulfilled by people in need, and you don’t ask people what’s wrong when you don’t really want to know.

Late that night, when he was patrolling alone, near the farm, he saw a young man, his hands in the ground, stealing vegetables. He quietly arrived behind the thief and assertively told him : “You’re done here, boy, you’re going to jail”. The boy turned around to reaveal his face. He knew him, he already catched him twice and the boy did it again, he was only 13. The thief started to beg him : “Please sir, I’m only taking food, I need to feed my old mother, my father died because they said he was an heretic, I don’t want to die, please let me go, for the love of the gods.”

Renuk knew the kid was right. Being the son of an heretic and a recidivist thief, and apparently still praying old pagan gods didn’t give him much chance to survive a trial. He also knew of his family, his father was a paganic healer, and the order didn’t let him much choice. His mother sank into madness when her husband was executed and since then the kid was trying the best he could. But inexperienced work doesn’t pay much when you’re too young to endure the tasks.

He stopped a moment. And finally took what he thought was the best decision. He let the kid go. “Thank you sir, I’ll never forget”, the young one said before he disappeared in the night.
He called the other guards, to show them that apparently someone stole a bunch of vegetables and disappeared without being seen. They looked around a bit and returned to their assignments.

When the duty was over and time for the changing of the guard came, the night was almost over. Renuk walked home, still haunted by what would happen if his wife didn’t get the potion. He was so deep in his thought he didn’t see the old woman that was standing on the side of the road. She whispered him when he passed by her : “A noble man deserves a reward. I’ve heard of your terrible fate. I cannot help you directly, but I know someone who can”. He raised his head and recognized the boy’s mother. “What can you do for her ? ”, he asked. “I told you, I can only guide you to someone that can help you. Take this potion, and drink it on the shore of the lake, where the reedflutes are singing the name of the lady”. She put a flask in his hand, and went away as he stayed stunned here, lost in his thought.

He’d heard of the stories, talking about a lady in the lake. She was said to be a wraith, those who were successful in their quest to see her and survived say she tried to drag them in the waters, screeching that their sould were not worthy. Will he be worthy of her help ?
He didn’t care. His wife’s life was certainly about to end. He decided it was worth to try. He could die. But he’d rather die trying and join his wife in the afterlife than let her die alone. The old woman certainly did know it would be okay, she was the wife of a healer, and certainly a bit of a witch herself. But could he trust a witch ? He was the only witness of her son’s last crime, and his death would remove any threat to him. It was worth to try anyway.

He arrived near the lake, drank the potion, and saw a shape form in the mist that was floating over the lake. The mist took the shape of a woman, softly shining a blue light that reflected on the water of the lake. “I know why you came…” said the lady in a soft voice…

When the sun has risen this morning, Jonie woke up with a strange feeling. A feeling she had forgotten for a long time. She was feeling good, and felt an energy that she didn’t have for years, maybe she was cured ? She got up and searched her husband in the house to tell him the good news, but he was nowhere to be found. She dressed up and prepared to look outside. Normally he would be sleeping while waiting for the call to work on the farm after breakfast, maybe he was smoking the pipe on the bench in front of the house. But when she touched the knob, someone was knocking on the other side side of the door. She opened to face a couple of guards, standing with serious faces in front of him. Her husband had been found dead, floating on the lake…

She wears a black veil ever since that day, and a waterlily on the heart to remember. Some say the lady of the lake killed him. Some say the order discovered all the story and threw him in the lake for treason. But what nobody really knows, is why Jonie’s illness miraculously got cured that night.

3 Likes

My story (it can’t win)

The Ugly Classling

“Hey guys! Any lvl 20s up for a dungeon?” My voice boomed over the radio.
“Sure Warrior! I’ll join!” Said the archerer.
“We have 3 more slots! Just me and Archerer so far”
“I’m up” said the Mage.
“Two more” said the Warrior. “Anyone?”
“Shoot me an invite, I’ll equip a healing turret.”
“We just need one more lvl 20… hello, anyone! I know there’s more fellowship mates online!” I was getting desperate.
A calm quiet voice aired over the radio, “can I join please?”
“Who is this?” I Asked. “I’ve never heard your voice! Welcome to the fellowship!”
“… I’m not new… I was the second person recruited.”
Oh no. This guy. Dammit… he was only recruited to boost our size! “Have you hit level 20 yet? That’s a requirement and I’ll have to kick you until your there.”
“I’m there”
“Ok” I said skeptically. “Everyone, we’ll meet outside of home.

Everyone gathered at home. But someone was missing. “Where’s that other guy?” Asked the mage. “Do I need to make him a portal?”
“Oh look! There he is!” Said the sharpshooter. “Why is his wand so long…”
“I’m here guys.” Said the lvl 20 fisherman.
“Oh hey, dinners ready. Cya later.” Said the Mage. Moments later the archerer and rifleman lost connection to the server.
“I guess it’s just you and me” Said the fisherman.
Alt + F4

7 Likes

Since your in RPO, we will vouch for this as well.

1 Like

Meant that to Magic.

1 Like

Roses are red
Violets are blue
OH MY GOD it’s a donkey pulling a cart!
I LOVE YOU!

4 Likes

Winner winner chicken dinner! Meet me in game for your 1 DRAM prize!
(Damander is a fellowship member. Fellowship members can’t win for fairness. He knows that, we’re just messing around)

1 Like

Altspace John.

A Wonderful Game.

Orbus Vr, an interesting name, for a wonderful game.
Once you play it, you’ll never be the same.
The mysterious elements are vastly deep.
Throughout the Lamavora frontier and also Ma’ats keep.
You may see a lonesome figure, attacking a monstrous rage.
Protecting his friend, his magical mage.
What will they see, those two or three.
As they destroy the monsters, and set the children free.
Equip yourselves, faithful knights.
Against those rune wargs and mystical sprites.
Take flight I say, upon the ship of the air.
As guild cities bishop, will be waiting there.
Keep moving ahead and don’t fear or dread.
Look in your journal, at what each character said.

5 Likes

Here is my story from the other thread i am submitting, as it is the third story I posted on the other thread, some of the characters are talked about a bit in the earlier stories, so if you want you can head over there and read those first, then come back here. This is just a copy and past of the one from the other thread as well.

Disclaimer this story is 100% truth, as it has been spoken through the ages

The Castle Of The Gods
Did you know that the symbol that the Patreal Knights adopted predates there whole organization, and the path it leads was there before as well? Well back then there was a adventurer, who went by the name of Laminar. One day he was traveling with a few other companions, when they came upon those runes in the wall. Intrigued, they deciphered their meaning and followed the path. Upon arriving at the end and finding nothing, the 2 friends left to continue their previous adventure, but not Laminar. He believed that there was more to the puzzle they the others had thought. So he searched the place of what is now know as Maats Throat, and found a hidden path. After following the path he arrived at the foot of a steep, unclimbable mountain, and sitting at the top was the Castle Of The Gods. Enjoyed at his discovery, he ran to tell his friends, but no one believed him. Not Half Noodle Boy, not Snuggly Bunny, not Super Spread Sheet Guy. But there he saw a new face, a person by the name of Sharkie. Upon telling Sharkie of his discovery, he agreed to go and see it. When they arrived, Sharkie let out the amazed scream of “it is actually real!” After that they left that place, as it was late, and they decided to sleep on the discovery and come back the next day. Unbeknownst to them, during the night the Gods had a meeting. Whether it was out of anger, or fear, we do not know, but during the night they moved their castle away, to a unknown location. Some say that Laminar is still out there, looking for his lost castle, while Sharkie denies that the experience ever happened, but alas these are but legends, and who knows where they are now. Some even says he cornered a God in Narrow Orchards when he was pretending to be human, and offered bribes to find out which of the Gods had moved the castle!

5 Likes

Hahaha those dang gods!

Super Spread Sheet Guy I’m F!@#ing dying :joy:

On one of my many travels in the desserts far away in the wildlands i found this note in the Sand that told a tale of a one handed swordman.

The legend of the one armed swordman(based on a true tale)

On one of my travels through to the sweltering rianforest jungle,
Plowing with pick axe and sword through enemies and fungal.
I came across a group of four souls with a free spot to spare,
That told me a tale of a bold warrior of intense pain and a swear.

The able warrior was able to hold back the hulking monstrosities
But in an alternate universe felt victim to earthly velocities.
And so the warrior lay on the ground while in orbus still upright,
And after a painful yell and a swear he finally hobbled out of sight.

So i took up his spot and planted my feet firm on the ground,
holding off swarms of monsters and hoarding the Treasures we found.
And as the adventure came to an end with the last deathcurdling wail,
I said goodbye to my newfound friends but still questioned the tale.

It must have been four days after in a smoldering rich desert sun,
I was tanking again for a troop with a sword a provoke and a stun.
And we came upon a warrior who wanted to be part of our gang
He was swift with a sword but i noticed that his other arm just hang.

As time went by i saw him deftly dispose off mob after mob
And he spun tales of old legends while the carnage never stopped.
Eventually the sun slowly set and as the stars shone faintly in the sky
He finally sheathed his sword on his hip with a smile faintly sly.

The one armed warrior said goodbye and he walked out of sight,
About half an hour later i noticed my backpack felt unusual light.
I franticly grabbed the pack from my back with an ominous feeling.
Looking inside my heart skipped three beats and my body started reeling.

Stranded in the desert with no drop to drink nor a crumb of food,
My knees sank to the ground the point of going on now was moot.
As my last service to this cruel earth i wrote about a swordman to beware,
About a thief with a sword in one hand, and in the other hand his snare.

(the handwriting changed here)

And as my body lies Unceremoniously decaying in the hot desert heat,
A lone man appeared on the horizon with sure and purposeful feet.
It was the one armed swordman who ravaged my pack with both hands
And with all my earthly belongings and a smile left only this note to the sands

It didn’t take me long to find the bones of the unfortunate men. Leaving no
doubt that this was the men in question a rusty sword and shield accompanied
him in death as they did so in life.

As I stood up a chill went down my spine when I realized the one armed warrior
must have finished the poem for the poor soul whos bones I now gazed upon. That
would also explain the different handwriting the last 4 sentences where written in. He
could have chosen to get rid of the evidence but instead choose to only add to the legend
by admitting and adding to his heinous crime.

Another shock went through me as I felt two eye piercing in my back. i instantly turned
around facing nothing but sand. i got my backpack of my back and instantly felt a relief when i noticed my provisions where still there.

I dug a shallow grave and placed the bones in there. on top of the grave a placed the shield and in front of the grave I left the note and pierced it in place with the warriors rusty sword as a warning to others.

Needless to say I never went back there anymore…

8 Likes

Listen well for I will only speak this tale once.

Years ago there was a young lad who lived just outside of this very town. His name is known only by the mountains and trees now. This lad, for he could not yet be called a man, was a good lad. Hard working and loyal this boy was a favorite of the townspeope. Though he did not live in the town the boy was a frequent visitor as he often came to sell the wool he collected from his sheep. Often the townspeople would question the lad asking him, ‘Why do you not bring us meat from your sheep?’. The boy would always reply the same way, ‘My sheep are not for the slaughter. The only day time they will provide meat is when they die of old age.’. The townspeople always thought this response was strange afterall weren’t sheep raised to be killed? Despite this oddity though the town was always welcoming to the boy and his sheep. This was life for the boy and he loved it. His sheep provided him company and wool for selling and he provided his sheep with protection and love. It was a realtionship that both groups cherished though a relationship that was soon to change forever.

It was a sunny summer afternoon that brought the boy back to flock after a short visit into the town. The lad had found good trades today as the townspeople had just been visited by a number of wealthy adventurers passing through the area. The adventurers had been the talk of the town and the boy hoped that he could maybe meet them later and ask them about their travels. He thouhgt about the many lands the adventurers must have explored and the awesome feats they must have accomplished. All these thoughts vanished from his mind when he saw the remnants of his flock. The carcasses were strewn across the field where he had left them grazing. No sheep had escaped the rampage and the boy could only fall to his knees and weep. Before him lay not just the eviscerated husks of his livelihood but the barren bones of his family.

The boy was distraught and nothing would comfort him. The townspeople took the lad in and attempted to care for him but the boy would not drink he would not eat and he would not sleep. He only sat staring into nothingness and cried soundless tears. On his third day in this state the boy ran out of tears to cry and he merely sat. It was at this time that he learned the truth of what had befallen his sheep, his family. As he sat upon the barstool of the local inn three adventurers wandered into the inn. They were rowdy and spoke to all who would listen of their recent exploits. Mere days ago the boy would have been eager to hear these tales but now they were no more than the sound of wind through the trees to him. That is until he heard one sentence that pierced through his depression: ‘yup those sheep were the easiest kills we ever had’.

The room grew silent though it took the adventurers a moment to realize that no one listened to them anymore. All eyes had turned to the boy on the stool but the boy only stared at the adventurers. “What did you say?” The boy’s voice was hoarse with disuse and caused shivers to run down the townspeoples spines. The adventurers began to reply but the boy gave them no time and lunged at them with a nearby fork. The adventurers scoffed at the attempt and one casually backhanded the boy to the ground before kicking the boy out of the inn.

Outside traffic in the small town stopped as the boy rolled across the ground. The adventurers followed him out and questioned him, ‘Why did you attack us?’. The boy whimpered in the street elicting a swift kick from one of the adventurers, ‘Answer us boy.’. The boy spoke barely above a whisper, ‘You killed my friends.’. The adventurers looked around in confusion until the innkeeper, having followed the disturbance outside, mentioned the boys sheep. The adventurers took a moment to look at each other before bursting out into laughter. One stepped forward and proclaimed, ‘We’d do it again boy. Those sheep were ripe for the slaughter and we’d never have found such easy prey any where else.’. At this the boy lunged at them once again with a shrill wail only to be cast to the ground with another casual blow.

At this the adventurers turned to the townspeople and yelled out, ‘You see this boy, he has attacked us twice now. Take note we do not handle such threats lightly.’ and with that they began to beat the lad. The beating was not intended to kill but it was harsh all the same and many times throughout the boy cried out in pain asking to die and so he did. Though the adventurers were intent on leaving the boy alive few things can hold the human spirit to life when it has given up and so the boy breathed his last there in the town square under the heels of the adventurers but his story does not end there.

Months went by after this event and the tale of the young lad became a cautionary tale to those who would meddle with adventurers until one night when an adventurer came into town near dead and covered in the blood of his companions. The man was as white as a sheet and told tales of a creature that rose from the ground and set upon his group. When pressed the adventurer revealed that his group had been slaughtering sheep just before the creature appeared. While the adventurer continued to panick the townspeople decided that the creature could be none other than the twisted spirit of the young lad come back to protect his flock from those that would slaughter them for entertainment or gluttony. It is for this reason that to this day we only eat lamb on the rarest of occasions for to kill a sheep is to invite the wrath of the creature.

Hear these words that I have spoken and keep them in mind for even to this day the creature lives.

8 Likes

I’m loving these stories guys! This is great <3

“how come all the monsters aggro? even the stags lol!”

In ages past, on fields of grass,
The woodland kingdom sprawls.
Where redtails hop, amidst the crops,
And autumn vulpes call.
As proud stags lay, beside the bay,
That kelpies call their home.
And with each night, the wargs delight,
That peace for all is known.

But man beside, would turn the tide,