Alpha Test 5 Feedback Thread

Enjoyed playing this last test few bugs.

-1st boss in jungle dungeon walls staying up (already been mentioned)
-while fishing on spider island in the jungle, I got stuck 3 times when I couldn’t teleport or trackpad to move. It happened to Cinyman as well when he was with me
-tried fishing for the first time this test, it was fun, wording when losing a fish is backwards
-tried alchemy, enjoyed it, only thing is hopefully we will have a receipt journal we can put up in our house so we can see our receipts we found in the world or wrote down. I also felt the mats were to much for what the potion did. I’m sure you just wanted to get the prototype out there and will probably change the mats at a later date
-had a hard crash when no one else did and forgot to get my output log before I logged back in:(
-did the arena once and got ported in and got killed by a were rabbit as I was changing to a mage. I never even moved. Really need to give a 30 second window when you get into the arena to change your class before being attacked. Make sure mobs are to in range of anyone that gets ported in.

That’s all the feedback I have. I’m looking forward to next test.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Very helpful. Interesting on the getting stuck someplace not being fixable by going back to the Graveyard. Did it always happen while you were Fishing?

In addition to the above feedback, I would be very interested to know:

1. Did people continue experiencing voice chat issues? I heard mention of it affecting Logan early on the first day, but then didn’t hear of it after that, but not sure if that’s because it stopped happening or because people just stopped mentioning it, haha. As far as I know I only have one output_log of that issue, so I haven’t been able to track it down yet…

2. How did you all feel about the Alchemy in general? The process of it in terms of making potions, how hard the ingredients were to get, the potion effects, etc.

3. Thoughts on the new relative strength indicators?

Thanks!

Forgot about the strength indicators, they are all just ok, elite ones need to be identified as elite. I didn’t notice a difference betweeen elite and normal and they both had the same symbol.( I was just notified that there was a banner so ignore this one) I’d prefer levels if I had to pick, it’ll take more time for me to get used to the symbols. Please change the level numbers back when viewing other players. It would be good to know what level you are attacking and what level they are when looking for a party.

As for alchemy, I gave my feedback. I feel like the mats that are needed do not justify the potion. Maybe have less mats or have a chance at more potions created based on skill. Alchemy over all was fun, I enjoyed it. I feel like I need my own recipe book that I could look into while creating potions.

1. I had the voice chat issue towards Draven but fixed when my game crashed and the output log was gone.
  2. i really liked the alchemy setup I didn’t do much of it as i had been spending time farming resources to do them and always got busy in the middle of it.
  3. i like them at the same time i think that some areas as in other players inside of group i should be able to see their levels. also in town in general i think we should be able to see other players level. i mean like if we were all in the wild I think the indicators should be at that point.

Randomly i had been getting screen shudder and up until now i had been in belief that it was from going oculus to steam to orbus believing that steam was the problem lots of messing around with that. Then i gained the issue in game when i got rezzed. Next time i have any shudder ill get the output log sent to you and see if you find anything.

as far as game play most of the bugs and things have been previously mentioned.
first boss wall
eggs no longer having health bars (may have not been a bug)

I did manage to randomly get stuck while using the slide locomotion on the spider peninsula. i had nowhere to teleport only to look down and portal myself away or die… (i just portalled myself i did not use the graveyard.)

You had made a comment about adding a button to the launcher that would auto send the output log and a note to you. I think it would make things a lot easier to remember to do that.

As we discussed warrior class feels close to useless in dungeons except for boss and when theres 2 elites to fight. but can be managed using cc without a warrior. in the jungle dungeon I found myself as a runemage until we reached the boss then I switched back. Even so. I seriously enjoy the dungeons!
The Plant world boss the stones would not light up. when people did stand at the correct spot the boss took over 45sec+ to appear. so it was hard to figure out if we had things done right. every now and the a spell or the boss’s seed attack got stuck upon death.

Id like to see the giant potion last about 30 seconds it was a blast but almost not enough time to really enjoy things lol.

1 Like
  1. :confused: shame on me. I think I experienced the typical voice but only once or twice, not sure if it was me or the other person though. However, this test my voice would consistently sound garbled/cut out for short periods of time (a completely separate issue than the other voice bug). I assume this was on my end somehow because it wasn’t happening to other people and it’s never happened to me before.(I’ll submit a few output logs next time if it happens again)

2. I loved alchemy, especially feeling some anxiety when only having enough materials to craft the potion once so I memorized the steps before hand. Very rewarding experience! However, the return on investment seemed incredibly low for some potions. If I hadn’t known exactly where to get everything from prior experience then alchemy would’ve been completely out of reach I think due to the number of different ingredients needed not just for the alchemy process but fishing portion included.
    (I would love the idea of the process remaining complicated with lots of materials needed and all the potions having larger effects. That way dedicated alchemists are actually needed and the market doesn’t become flooded with potions)

3. I think the new relative strength indicators are really cool.

I know you also mentioned wanting to find a way to bring more people in per test. Maybe you can advertise some sort of (small) reward for testing. Like a few giant potions or something small like that. Or possibly Robert could take his awesome quest making skills and make one that encompasses the new content in some way and release a list of the players that complete it each test. Which might not really be plausible if it would take too much time.

1 Like

Yes! I forgot about the final boss eggs no longer having health bars! Great call.

1 Like

For Alchemy, I was only able to gather enough materials for a Giant potion at the very end of the test.
It was great! I do agree with Smooch in general.
Stuff like the Giant potion needs a longer effect than just 5 seconds, ~15 ideally, long enough to get some use out of it and have some fun. This might be an issue with the other potions too, but im not sure.

The process as a whole however was very cool, though maybe not completely intuitive when adding 2 ingredients at once. I wasn’t sure if it was to add both really quickly before the pot changes color, or to add one and then another when the color changed back to default. I may just be a dummy though.

Strength indicators: couldn’t really tell what was what. Too small. Had to get killed to find out if it was near my level.
Alchemy: neat! Need longer effects on the fun stuff. I’m a fan of having things like giant potions last a minute or two or until canceled by combat.

Suggestion for a Mage buff or curse: “Old Man’s Hands”. Buff: wand smoothing (to make it easier to draw a straight line). Curse: make the wand more sensitive so that the slightest shake makes the lines go all over the place. (only in VR, lol)

1. I occasionally had voice issues but not as many as the previous test. I can only recall one or two times this test. I had more issues with the game freezing,crashing, or other odd issues. I’ll upload a video clip demonstrating one issue in the jungle dungeon before the first boss.

2. Alchemy is great. I only made the giant potion and hp potions because I could access the ingredients relatively easily. Anything that required rare ingredients I didn’t even bother with. For some it’s a challenge and enjoy it. I’m more combat oriented and didn’t feel the drive to accomplish that.

The giant potion should last much longer for the amount of work that goes into it. I feel the fact that potions take effort and time to create will actually give them value instead of just “basic hp pot 4coin” like you could buy off an npc.

I do think many players would be confused by the ‘add multiple ingredients’ part of recipes. I had to ask Outlander how to do it. I was waiting for the color to go from green to blue and back to green before I added the 2nd reedflute instead of adding the 2nd reedflute when it was blue.

1. Strength indicators are fine on enemies. I’m not sure about players. I like the idea that a player’s level is anonymous but it makes forming groups difficult if you need a certain level.

Also when I was in a party with all 12’s, some had 5 points and others had 3 in terms of strength. If we’re all 12, shouldn’t they all be the same?

Final note: I wanted to add that I have a new pride in the warrior choice. I used to think people just didn’t want to bother with the extra physical effort, but after playing runemage for a couple hours I now understand why. Runemage is SO easy! 3 fireballs will destroy anything and you don’t even have to move! I had doubts about my warrior for a little bit. It takes so much more effort to kill anything with its pitiful damage output, but now I understand why players were saying they had trouble leveling their warrior. I love this game!

1 Like

I did experience voice chat issues. people mostly this time had laggy jumbled and even dropped voice but not to the point that anyone had to run out of range and come back. So that was kind of an improvement. Most of the time voicechat worked fine.

I didn’t actually make any potions yet. I found Cinyman was selling them :slight_smile: I’ll be sure to make some next test.

I like the new relative strength indicators but only on mobs. Players should still show player level.

Oh and I always forget to mention it but the mages light spell causes reprojection on high end hardware.(no SS) I’m sure optimization isn’t at the top of your list though.

I had a few voice chat issues, the first day only though. Chat via compass worked still, just not the area chat.

Didn’t get to alchemy really, collected some ingredients, but as it was my first test i was focused on leveling up and experiencing the world first. I also had no idea where to begin with crafting them in game.

Strength indicators were helpful, although after a mod gets a player kill it gets a 5 pointed star rating? Not sure if that was intended. Did not understand the rating system until I was a few levels higher than the Wererabbits.

1. I had no voice chat issue

2. I did collect most of ressources but hadn’t the time to craft one before the end of the test.
    I think potion cost too many ressources for just one.
    Maybe we should be able to quickly fill different bottle in the same process? (making potions 3 by 3, or 5 by 5?)

3. I really like the new relative strength indicators !

Can’t wait for the next test ! :slight_smile:

Typical wall of text incoming! As always, all feedback is given the spirit of constructive feedback, goodwill and supporting the product.

Status: Level 12 runemage and musketeer, 8 warrior and ranger, 2 fisher. I spent most of my time this playsession harvesting, so I ended up with a lot of materials, and crafted all 5 potions.

First Up, @Riley_D 's targeted feedback question:
"1) Did people continue experiencing voice chat issues? I heard mention of it affecting Logan early on the first day, but then didn’t hear of it after that, but not sure if that’s because it stopped happening or because people just stopped entioning it, haha. As far as I know I only have one output_log of that issue, so I haven’t been able to track it down yet…"
I had it happen to me fairly extensively on Saturday with Cinyman. I was able to hear him through the compass and I could see his voice indicator show up on his name, but no audio coming through.

"2) How did you all feel about the Alchemy in general? The process of it in terms of making potions, how hard the ingredients were to get, the potion effects, etc."
I really enjoyed the physicality, presentation and overall experience of alchemy. As others have mentioned, you definitely get some anxiety when brewing as you don’t want to mess up and waste all those materials.

That being said, I have two main concerns. The first one is that this process does not lend itself at all to experimentation due to the large number of permutations and minimal number of possible success scenarios. This does cause it to miss out a bit on the mad-alchemist-in-the-lab combining various ingredients and discovery new combinations. The second, which many have mentioned is that given the amount of time to collect the materials, the complexity of brewing, and the resultant potions, I don’t see many of these getting a lot of use, with the possible exception of the Empowered Strikes potion (depending on how much it increases crit rate). This is largely a balance concern, so it’s fairly easily addressed by extending the duration/impact of various effects and/or the number of potions you receive from the combination. It would also be nice if there was a way to level up in alchemy in some way. Also, there are already more alchemical reagents in the game than can fit in the alchemy box, which feels a bit awkward needing to shuffle items back and forth. Maybe change it to a larger L-Shaped desk so we could fit at least a stack of each? In general I found that it may be difficult to memorize the alchemy recipes the way we do with runemage spells because it’s not the type of thing you can do constantly, due to material constraints. I’m pretty sure the majority of players will need to have a VR cheat-sheet or check in advance before each alchemy session.

"3) Thoughts on the new relative strength indicators?"
I liked how these made the UI cleaner, but I had some trouble really processing a few of them at a glance and in the distance. The color progression also goes green->yellow->pink->red->purple, and I think most players are used to MMO progression being grey (if applicable) -> grey -> blue -> yellow -> orange -> red. I think the number of points thing may be a little too subtle, but I’m sure we’ll get used to it. One thought I did have was that it may be difficult to use this information to share with other, lower level players in terms of “hey my level 5 friend, these mobs are green to my level 20 runemage, so you may or may not be able to hunt them effectively” kinda situation. Lastly, I’m pretty sure the adult lizardmen conned triangle (with the banner but still) but they are one of the toughest non-boss mobs in the game at the moment.

Various other feedback, much of which others have mentioned:

• Oh my god, thank you for having logout bring you back to character selection! Helps resolve a lot of issues very quickly.
  • Definitely got stuck teleporting along waterlines in various places, but the interior edge of spider island was really bad. It happens with or without fishing pole being equipped at all.
  • Harvesting has a really long respawn associated with it, and some mats are in such small quantity, I’m a little concerned that people will end up fighting over the nodes.
  • Given how big the world is getting, I’m worried that having an expensive teleport reagent is really going to stifle adventuring.
  • Inventory management continues to get rougher and rougher as items get added for the various subsystems. Without some way to expand it or retaining gear per class independent of the backpack, it’s going to be fairly untenable to have gear for more than a couple classes when adventuring. This may be intended, but for testing it’s increasingly challenging.
  • The boulders near Elongata were not lighting up for anyone regardless of class.
  • Idea for additional potions: Essence of the X (where X is each of the classes). Long duration buff that lets you get the gear drops for the other classes.
  • We definitely need some additional ways to communicate in-game beyond the compass (which is awesome), as right now for forming groups and trying to do world bosses, we spam discord chat for an hour and hope enough people respond. Typically others will show up after, disappointed that they missed out.
  • Quest interface seem significantly improved. The waving worked well for me each time, the text was legible, I was able to advance and accept. Some of the quests themselves seemed out of order, and the last safari quest which focused on jungle mobs didn’t seem to be completable.
  • Was testing Arcane Explosion out as a level 12 runemage surrounded by level 1 wererabbits and half the time it wouldn’t kill them. Given the complexity of the rune, it’s really not viable for combat at the moment given it’s balance.
    *I think one the quests called the big fire breathing lizards Fire Bugs but I believe I saw you guys refer to them as Dragonbugs before. Which one is correct? (So I can update wiki)
  • SImilarly, the wiki and one of the quests refers to Kingsport Lake as the lake near the newbie zone, but the compass still refers to it as God’s Eye Lake. Which one is accurate? (I’d kinda assume Kingsport Lake is the waterway running along Kingsport, in the Jungle zone)
    *There are a couple teleport destinations where the player can get attacked immediately upon porting. This happens most often with the one near the Lakewood Inn, but I believe it can happen in the Jungle near the tigers as well. Is this intentional?
  • I still have some issues with getting tooltips to appear reliable (aside from in the trade interface, where they don’t show up for anyone). I find that if I move the item to another spot, I can often get it to work. If me supplying video of this would help, I’d be happy to do so.
  • Really minor, not sure how much of this is from minor terrain changes, but there are an increasing number of floating plants, trees, and harvest nodes across the game world.
  • Had some friends try the game this weekend for the first time, they were having a lot of difficulty at level 1 with the mobs at Cenn’s Farm, especially the self-healing golem. They may be a bit extreme for brand new players without a critical mass of noobs to bring them down.
4 Likes

I can only answer on the voice chat problem. So my voice fell away many times. Then I just continue talking with the compass. A notable characteristic: Switching zones always fixes the voice being broken. So if I and the person both move to another zone, my voice gets fixed.

Also the voice sometimes gets cut out for a few seconds, just like what happened with @Luvstosmooch

Furthermore, I really want the inventory to get a bit bigger soon haha. I barely can hold the minim amount of items for every class + all those resources.

Riley had asked for a suggestion on how to move a player in melee range of an enemy that takes up more than 1 space (boar, tiger, etc) because when they turn the head is inside your body. I’d suggest maybe instead of sliding the player you do a mini teleport similar to the sword rush teleport that puts them at a good distance from the enemy.

I don’t personally get motion sick (my playspace was at a 30 degree angle for 40 minutes and I had no issues (don’t ask lol)) but some people could get motion sick if they get slid without their permission.

We’ll definitely be increasing the value of the potions…

I think between having a system where you can make a potion with just a couple of ingredients and each is really “low value”, and a system where making a potion requires a decent chunk of effort but it’s very useful, I’d probably rather leant toward the latter.

Along with that, for some potions (like say the Healing Potion) I’d probably rather do something where as your skill in Alchemy increases, you can make multiple of those at a time, as opposed to making it to where it’s really easy to make them so you have to go through the same process repeatedly over and over again.

For those of you who had the voice chat issue, were you the one people couldn’t hear, or were unable to hear other people? If you were the one people couldn’t hear, did you happen to be playing Warrior? I don’t know why it would be related but it suddenly dawned on me that both Logan and Cinyman play Warrior a lot…

I think what we’ll probably do on this is that you can see player levels unless you are in a non-safe zone, and then you only see the strength indicators.

Blog post coming shortly with my overall recap.

2 Likes

The blog post with the recap is now up: https://blog.orbusvr.com/alpha-test-5-recap/

Haha while I do play warrior a lot this role around I played 50/50 warrior runemage. Voice loss was less class specific more particular player who could no longer hear me. @Draven was the one who I could talk to then bloop gone. We wiped at world boss he could hear me again then gone working 5 minutes. I was runemage when that occurred.

Alchemy
The potion making process itself was intuitive and enjoyable. The potion effects apart from the hour long crit potion did not feel like they were worth the time that went into farming the ingredients for them but this could be balanced out when potion aging is introduced with the enhanced effects making the farming process more worthwhile. The main issues I had was trying to reference the recipe while trying to make which I know is something that the upcoming Player Journal will help with and is something that will just come with practice as well as not having enough space in the chest for all of the available ingredients.

Trading
The trading screen UI is easy to understand and use. I had no issues with the new system apart from not being able to split stacks as well as coins received in a trade disappearing.

Questing System
I think the waving at npcs was a great addition, and I look forward to more quests that are more than “kill X enemies”. I had issues like others did with the Noah’s Ark quest not getting a notification of being complete when it should have.

Relative Strength Indicators
I thought this new system was fine with enemies but I missed being able to see the level of other players as it helps when forming groups and leveling with people.

Fishing
Text on nibble and catch pop up dialogs sometime still have scrambled text and getting stuck near shorelines where the main issues I had while fishing.