Alpha Test 7 Feedback Thread

Yes exactly that. It’s happening very often.

Are you moving back-and-forth between Highsteppe and the Narrow Orchard area really often right now? Or between Highsteppe and the Tutorial Area?

Not at all. It seems to happen pretty consistently if I draw my wand and teleport simultaneously, or die while teleporting.

I’m not sure what’s going on but I’m randomly not able to damage enemies with my regular attack. The rain of fire attack for the archer does damage but arrows don’t. I restarted and it fixed but started again after I killed one wolf.

Try putting your arrow away and pulling it back out.

If that doesn’t fix it, which creature is it? Some of them might have messed up colliders on them right now.

It has happened with the wolf, phantom, and red tail. I will try putting my arrow away next time it happens.

I tried putting the arrow away and bringing it back out and it did not work. I was fighting a wolf.

Hmmm…that’s very strange, I’ve never heard of anyone having problems with those creatures before.

Next time it happens can you try getting out your Musketeer guna nd firing at them and see if you can hit them?

Also is it like showing hte “explosion” effect and just doing no damage or is it just flying through them like they don’t exist? oh, also, do you happen to be shooting your arrows while sliding around?

Any suggestion for these crashes? I basically can’t play right now. I just crashed in the woods with the deer and foxes with pretty much no triggering event. I load back in, wait a moment, and go to talk to my party on the compass and immediately crash again.

I am working as fast as I can on a fix. Sorry fort the trouble. I think I’ve almost got it tracked down. Unfortunately Alpha is buggy :frowning:

Someone has said though that they noticed once it started happening to them, totally restarting SteamVR helped. I have no idea if that’s true or not, though.

Also are you saying that it’s like you load into the game, and do absolutely nothing else (no sliding, teleporting, etc.), and all you do is pick up your player compass and put it near your omouth and it immediately crashes?

That was the most recent crash. 80% of them are when teleporting and doing something else, like dying or drawing my wand. The other 20% are at seemingly random times like when casting spells in town or travelling around.

Hey guys,

We played a good two hours just now - LOVE all the new changes! We couldn’t make it a couple of times so it’s nice to go in and see how much has changed.

Today Chary was on the Vive and I was on the Rift. I’m just going to write some stuff down that we’ve found during this test.

• The Rift game seems to crash a lot, I’ve crashed more than 3 times during that 2 hour session, while the Vive had no problem playing. A few times it crashed with an pop up error message that it generated a log file and other times the game window just freezes and I can’t do anything anymore. I can keep hearing people speak though when that happens.
  • Voices of party seem to come through the whole time. Doesn’t matter if someone uses the compass or not. Not sure if that’s on purpose, but for our video recording it can get in the way sometimes.
  • Mute function didn’t work as well, while muted very occasionally the muted person’s voice still is heard. Also, it would be nice if the mute function would stay on even if I walk in or out a new area or house. It seems like when I load a new area, the mute function automatically turns itself off.
  • Sometimes the trackpad locomotion continues walking itself and we can’t stop ourselves from moving.
  • We both didn’t have our mage’s staff which was weird. It wasn’t in our house either. Could that be because we deleted our character and remade it for the hair?
  • Hairstyle dyes didn’t work during character selection.
  • Mouth style still doesn’t work ingame. Can’t see our chosen mouth.
  • Server seemed laggy, at some point we both disconnected from the game, but we could relogin instantly.

Everything else worked good!

Suggestions

• Would be awesome to have shared housing!! Being able to live with a friend in the same house and use each others equipment.
  • Would be nice to edit our character instead of having to delete it to add a hairstyle.

If I can think of anything else I’ll edit this post :slight_smile: Thanks Riley, good luck with everything.

1 Like

Hey Casyi, I’ve found that the trackpad issue happens when you grab an your weapon while still holding down the joystick. This basically locks it in place and you can stop it by putting up what you grabbed and using the joystick again to stop the movement.

I’ve played long enough to hit lv. 6 so far on Rift, and only froze twice, might be your machine rather than Rift (but rift support is very poor atm, so not sure)

This is intended, compass just extends your voice to your party.

Having this problem too, just tap the stick lightly to stop for now.

You need to earn the wand from completing a certain quest now.``

I use a rift and to me the support seems near perfect.

Riley even said he develops on his rift haha

Interesting, this is the only game where i lose tracking directly infront of the sensors, and cant turn even sideways,i’ll look into it more later. Also the haptics aren’t being utilized correctly, common with games that don’t run through oculus SDK.

Yeah, that is interesting. I never have any tracking issues with it. Are you front facing or roomscale?

Front, which still gives full 360 in every other game. Minus a deadzone right behind me. I’ll play around with the position and maybe run setup again soon, heading out now :slight_smile:

There’s a new patch that will be coming out in about 15 minutes that has the following fixes:

• Hopefully fixed hair color to start working correctly again.
  • Put in a fix for at least some of the infinite loading screen bugs, particularly those related to loading between zones. Now when you switch between a zone, you will find yourself “stuck” for about 2 seconds. This is hopefully just a temporary measure but it seems to solve the crashes. Special thanks to Luvstosmooch for testing like 12 different builds of the game for me to help me start narrowing down the issue.

Note that you may still be getting Infinite Load crashes while doing other things – if you are, please let me know so I can hopefully start piecing together the common thread.

EDIT: The new patch is now live, and it’s pretty small.

Thanks!

I went wandering past Narrow Orchard, out through Corner Path, The Twins, Ma’at’s Throat, and Guild City and found it weird that there were no entities over there (last I saw were spirits and deer outside Highsteppe). I decided to return to Highsteppe, and found that there were no NPCs, monsters, or harvestibles anywhere. I tried restarting. I updated to the .81 launcher. After 3ish tries I was still totally alone.
Because I restarted so much, I encountered some problems:
If I Launch Orbus with SteamVR not running, the sound does not come through the Vive audio. I didn’t see a way to change audio devices in the game.
If I Launch with SteamVR+ Steam Home running, usually the launch fails and I get a “Source2- Warning” popup saying “Only one instance of the game can be running at one time.” This can happen even if it was the first time running Orbus since restarting SteamVR, if Steam Home is running. I don’t have it perfectly reproducible yet.