Alpha Test Feedback Thread 5/5/17

Really? That’s interesting, I’ve never seen that before. Does it specifically happen during that World Boss fight or does it happen all the time to you? And it’s happening to everyone?

I participated in the last alpha and pre-alpha before that. There were no issues PvE but PvP has always been sketchy. Twice yesterday the game has become unplayable (GOing to 'waiting for" for up to 30 seconds) and happened just now. I checked my internet and it’s as stable as it always is. Very frustrating not being able to identify the cause on my end. Any other VR game is fine. I don’t believe my computer is overheating. It never has before.

Yeah I wonder if what’s happening there is the person who the boss is aggroing he can’t reach. Like if you are too close to a pillar or something and he switches aggro to you, then he will reset if he can’t reach you…

Yes a lot of us after the world boss saw a lot of turrets with purple electricity littering the ground. I didn’t see any extra bodies but there were some spells hanging in the air. A reload fixed it.

So yeah when it goes to “Waiting for…” for a long time like that it indicates that there is major latency going on with packets dropping.

What server is that test that you ran to? Our server is located near Tampa, FL currently so if you can run a test to a server near there it would be helpful.

This was using speedtest.net to tampa, fl. It was consistent throughout the test but the ping is much higher.

I’d like to add I had no other programs running. I turned on my pc, launched steamvr, launched orbus, tried with both anti-virus on then off. Same issue.

It happens really bad during the world boss fight, but it also happens all over the world with this little electric ball that I assume is a remnant of other players turrets. During the world boss fight though there was an entire half health remnant of elongata, a few full health mob, a million spells and turrets. It was impossible to hear anything we had to change the fight location each time we came back. I might have video of it.

Oh yeah, and during the world boss fight my connection was perfect. Even with all the people around I had no issues. These freezes don’t happen often, but it completely shuts me out when it does.

Yeah it sounds like what’s going on is you are getting infrequent packet loss. So when your connection is steady it works fine but if there is a period of high packet loss you have lots of issues. I will try and do some more testing on how to help it not stall out during high packet loss but I don’t know that there’s anything we can do about the packet loss itself.

Hmm Ok. I’ll see if I can do anything on my end. I appreciate the help and besides the packetloss I’ve had a blast this test! Thank you for creating such a great game. We all love it :smiley:

1 Like

No worries. Just making sure – you’re not playing over WiFi are you?

Nope. Straight ethernet from the modem to my pc.

Okay. And you’re located where?

Oh wow okay. I just assumed you were overseas for some reason. Yeah that is super bizarre. I wouldn’t expect any packet loss issues inside the US.

Right. It also seems odd that it isn’t a consistent issue, right? If it was hardware related wouldn’t it be non-stop high loss?

Got a picture of the lingering artifacts (everything except one real elongata). There are a couple warrior swords in there as a bonus :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have a video of this fight that shows a majority of all the lingering effects. The rough version is up on youtube, but I’ll edit it down a little more in the future and post it here.

Wow yeah that’s amazing, haha. My best guess is that we aren’t doing a good job of cleaning things up after people when they die (e.g. if a Warrior has a thrown sword out and dies or something). And people were just dying a lot during that fight?

Other than the artifacts was everything else going correctly? And I guess did you guys do this fight last time there was a test without those artifacts being there? I would have loved to get an output_log from one of you after you closed the client but before you re-opened it again (since it clears out after each launch)…if it happens again you might try that as that would give me a lot of insight into what’s gong on there.

Just to confirm you said after re-launching the artifacts all cleared out, right? Also did it happen multiple times after multiple re-launches? And slowly build up over time, or was it more like there was just all of a sudden a bunch of stuff hanging around?

Not necessarily. It could be a lot of things. It could be that there is an ISP-level issue (e.g. your ISP is having some issue this weekend they weren’t having so it has nothing to do with you). It could be that if you have Cable or DSL your modem is just periodically having to re-establish its upstream connection. That actually happens to me sometimes with my cable modem, like for some weird reason around 8:30 AM every morning it goes out for about 1 or 2 minutes then comes back on its own haha.

So yeah that’s really the problem with these type of issues, it’s really hard to track down the problem. That said, I have some ideas we can try during the next test that might help. But if you’re regularly playing other multiplayer games and not having this issue then that would certainly indicate it’s something we’re doing differently or something like that…

I didnt play as much this test, so only a few notes.

• I found another fishing bug:
  • Video of Fishing
  • Attempting to fish on a bridge causes the line to become stuck until you stow the rod.
  • One of the bridges near Guild City is floating over the water
  • And finally, here is 30 minuted of me casting every spell in the game. I’ll give a short tl;dr too, then my thoughts.
  • I casted these in this order pretty much.
  • Fireball: ~80%
  • Frostbolt: ~70%
  • Ice Lance: ~30%
  • Arcane Explosion: ~15%
  • Arcane Ray: Yesterday I could cast it ~80%, today it was like 30%
  • Mana Sheild: 100% Its REALLY generous, i’d recommend looking at the video for some of the stuff it let me get away with. (timestamp: 12:30 through 13:05)
  • Decurse: ~70%ish
  • Affliction: ~65%ish
  • Polymorph: ~50%ish
  • Pushback: ~80%
  • Light: 25%
  • Fireworks: ~60%

Rituals:
First rune of Teleport sometimes causes Resurrect, and vice versa.
Otherwise its like ~80% for both.

Sunbeam: 100% for the sake of completion.

Thoughts: It is way more frustrating now, especially as someone who doesn’t have steady hands. I had 0 problems in the previous test save for Teleport. I play a mage / Wizzard / Sorc in everything, It is my favorite archetype, and after this test I now have a creeping fear in the back of my mind I’m going to get locked out of my favorite archetype. Im having to focus most of my time on other things this weekend unfortunately, so this is after ~3 hours of solely playing Runemage. There are only first level spells too, so im afraid of what 2 and 3 will be.

Also, as a quick mental fart I had last night, is maybe allowing Runemages to create Stencils if they cast an X level spell on a scroll that they can give in a face to face trade to other runemages so they can practice. This would keep the feeling of having to seek out knowledge to practice. The Stencils would have a hologram / equivalent menu show up in front of the runemage they can use to practice drawing that rune. Or just have there be “scroll of Second fireball” that you can find that does the same thing, instead of a runemage creating it.