Alpha Test Feedback Thread: Closed Alpha 3

Haha, fantastic. Thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

Re: the Runemage detection in generalā€¦

The only reason I updated the rituals and those two portal runes was because I was consistently getting mixed up results. As in, I would cast Portal ritual and I would get Resurrection about 75% of the time.

Thereā€™s a difference, I think, between runes that are just hard to cast (e.g. Affliction and Arcane Ray for me personally) and those that are constantly giving you the wrong spell when you attempt to cast them.

Honestly after playing a Runemage for about 3 hours yesterday and doing a dungeon run, I think the spell detection is in a pretty good place now. Those rituals definitely had issues but those should be fixed now.

I agree that at this point itā€™s best just to leave it as is for the time being to let people practice. I have no intent at this point to change any of the runes further. I think the practice pillars helped a lot, and I saw people who were unable to get the casting to work well on their own basically able to walk up to them and ā€œtraceā€ the rune and cast it every time. So I think that shows the detection method works fine, itā€™s just not as easy as you think it is to draw it correctly without a reference. So I think instead of re-doing the runes further or changing anything about the detection system, what Iā€™m going to do instead is focus on putting a mechanic into the game which allows you to basically have a reference with you out in the world once youā€™ve discovered the rune. I canā€™t promise that mechanic will be in in the next test, since we have other things that we have to prioritize right now, but in general I think ā€œmore ways to practiceā€ is much preferable to ā€œmaking it easier to cast the runesā€ at this time.

3 Likes

Welcome to day two of the test!

Iā€™m pleased to report that we didnā€™t have any significant crashes at all during the test yesterday, and nothing overnight as well. At this point I would say the server-side of things is very stable and Iā€™m very excited with where itā€™s at.

Obviously there are still plenty of bugs to keep working through, from client-side issues to people spawning in weird locations after being in dungeons, but the fact that the overall server is now stable enough to run for 24 hours without crashing at all is really amazing.

So far weā€™ve had 85 people participate in this test, and now our total participants in any Alpha test is up to 249, which means nearly everyone who has access to the Alpha has now participated in at least one test, which is great. Iā€™ll be interested to see how many people play throughout today since weā€™ll have the server up all day and all night on a weekend day for the first time in a while.

There will be a small client-side patch coming out here in about an hour with a few bugfixes. In particular:

• Runemage spells should no longer get ā€œstuckā€ on the end of the wand sometimes.
  • Hopefully should fix some of the VOIP issues where people would suddenly be unable to hear each other. Not totally sure on this one, just sort of a guess at what it might be, so please let me know if the issue persists for you post-patch.
  • Runemage spell lines should no longer disappear after you cast a really, really long line.
  • Runemage spell lines should no longer get hidden behind water, portals, and other random stuff like that.

Thanks!

Rumor has it (that I just made up) with all the bug fixes going in you are Robert are feeling confident enough to join in some pvp fun today. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ll probably be on tonight!

The options menu screen shows only 4 options. The ā€œTracking Typeā€ and ā€œLogoutā€ options are clipped out the menu. I think this is caused by being in an party. When I leave my party and open the menu again, the clipping is fixed. (saw this bug previous alpha test too)

1 Like

I just encountered a bug in the wild where only as a warrior I was unable to initiate banditry. None of my hits on fluffy would do any damage unless he hit me first. On everything else I could cause damage from a neutral start.

Edit: Also decurse is not removing poison or affliction that is inflicted by a player.

Casting it on yourself?

And does that mean you have seen it working for debuffs in PvE content?

Yeah, self casting like with the shield.

And no, I havenā€™t seen it work yet though I literally just remembered it existed while goofing off in the wild.

Just as a note, when I was initially having trouble with Affliction I was tracing the rune on the pillar as closely as I could. It still would fail to activate most of the time for me when I was using 2 strokes, both starting from the top. Maybe Iā€™m misinterpreting, but it seems to me that some runes have an overriding factor that is much more important to get right than the ā€œlookā€ of the rune to a human observer. Assuming this is true, the pillars might have ā€œfocus areasā€ highlighted somehow to communicate the key facet(s) for proper recognition (or not, just having people available to tell you what you might be doing wrong works just as well). It just felt a little frustrating to have a tracing template available and still be failing the rune.

I did also notice that drawing runes while on the airship does not seem to be possible. The rune trails off behind you as the airship moves.

(I know this was a problem before but I thought it had been fixed. My memory is failing me, and apparently Iā€™m bad at using the search function)

Party status is still persisting into the pvp arena and you are unable to damage members until you leave party.

Just turning in for some shuteye.
I noticed that the musketeer shield spell was preventing the lifewell spell (the green pool on the ground) from healing me (and possibly others too).

Also, if loot drops from an enemy into the lifewell, the loot bag and lifewell entities interact causing the loot bag to get thrown a short distance away.

There were two additional issues I encountered, though the second one may be by design.

The first was that the text overlay telling me to ā€œPullā€, ā€œReelā€, etc while fishing was facing the wrong way so it was backwards.

The second is that if you pull a higher-level mob accidentally (ie Iā€™m level 1 and a level 2 gets too close, or spawns next to me) it seems to be basically a death sentence. Due to the teleportation regen reduction in combat, Iā€™ve found it impossible to get away from anything that begins attacking me. Are we supposed to need to use a ā€œslowā€ ability to successfully disengage from combat? Musketeers often wouldnā€™t have one equipped and Rangers donā€™t have one at all. Am I doing something else wrong?

I have a small compilation of the shield not blocking, combo strikes not tracking properly, and not being able to do any damage whatsoever.

Here is what I was talking about earlier with the affliction spell. Sometimes when you trace it, it doesnā€™t work. You see this with the first few spells in the video. Halfway through the video I start drawing less than perfect affliction and it works. Some are circles. The consistency is odd.

Video of affliction being inconsistent

I think the two ā€œlegsā€ at the bottom need to be the same length. While you were tracing it the second leg was consistently longer than the first one. It looks like you corrected this in the second portion of the video, though itā€™s a bit hard to tell since it was off-screen.

There is definitely an issue with spell recognition. It seems to be very demanding for some spells and very loose for others. I have a hard time getting polymorph and sometimes get a fireball instead (which look nothing alike). I even got a perfect fireball trying to get polymorph. Itā€™s possible itā€™s due to the addition of allowing the system to try to recognize slightly imperfect drawings for a weakened version of the spell.

Also the musketeer orbs are still bugging out and leaving a sparkling ghost behind that does not disappear. I noticed that during a dungeon run. Not sure if its an issue in open world. The stalactites are not repopping when we run out and have to party wipe. Had to reset the entire dungeon.

Not sure if anybody else is having this issue but the warrior up stroke is only registering half the time on some mobs.

When I logged into the game, it indicated that the servers were online but the world was completely empty - no enemies, npcs or pcs. I travelled around a bit to get back to the starting area to verify that there were no players/enemies there, then logged out. Persisted when I logged back in.
Logs: https://pastebin.com/LrVT3xcu

just debug to graveyard. Thatā€™ll fix

The hitbox of the tongmob is only on the ass when you play with the warriorā€¦ I tried swinging my sword from multiple angles, speed and distance from the mob.