Alpha Test Feedback Thread: Closed Alpha 3

To be clear, the spell recognition is set to the same threshold it was at the beginning of the last test, it’s the same for every spell. The “allowing the system to recognize slightly imperfect drawings” was not implemented by making the recognition threshold any lower, it’s just an additional bonus if you clear the threshold by a significant margin.

I would be interested to see a video or screenshot of it recognizing a Polymorph spell as a Fireball spell, since as you said they’re not even really close…I can get Polymorph 100% of the time so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the spell recognition for that spell if it’s drawn correctly.

Yeah, as others have pointed out in the first part of that video where you’re tracing it, you seem to consistently draw the last part way longer than the rune.

The proportions of the spell are much more important than anything else. What that means is if you draw the second ‘leg’ of Affliction way longer than the first leg, the proportions of your spell are off and it’s probably not going to work. Whereas in the latter part of the video while you aren’t getting the ‘corners’ as sharp, you overall proportion is much better.

Another thing to keep in mind that it can be hard to see on a 2D video, is that the rune should be drawn on a ‘flat’ when it doesn’t have any 3D strokes. So what I mean by that is, make sure that if you draw the rune and then walk around and look at it from the side, the strokes aren’t at wildly different places in terms of their “Z” axis away from your body.

In general, on the spell recognition, I’m not really sure what else there is to say. It’s math, if you draw it properly and the same every time, it will give you the same result every time. There’s no reason to “speed” through drawing it, either. As you practice them, you will get better at them, and you will get more consistent with them. That’s really all there is to it.

2 Likes

when it doesn’t have any 3D strokes

Does this mean we might see some 3D runes in the future? :slight_smile:

Yeah, we’ll be taking all of that out when we re-do the Fishing stuff.

I think this is probably true at Level 1 (e.g. a Level 2 is practically a death sentence) but probably not nearly as bad as you go up in levels (e.g. a Level 7 could probably take on a Level 8 some of the time). But to answer you other question, the speed of escape is pretty much designed such that unless you get a head start running away, especially at low levels you will probably die.

Roger that. Guess I’ll just have to be more careful. It might be worth considering altering spawn mechanics so enemies at least don’t spawn in right next to you, but that sounds like it could be exploited pretty easily.

First off, thanks for this, it’s very helpful in tracking down problems.

The video with the wolves is interesting. It does seem like you might have a lag spike going on there, but at the same time, the wolves keep attacking, which they wouldn’t do unless you were receiving data from the server. I guess it’s possible that you could be receiving data but not sending it properly but that seems unlikely. I’m actually wondering if that was caused more from the two of them being so close together or something. I’ll see if I can do some testing on that.

But I will say, in terms of latency sensitivity, yeah obviously if you have lag spikes, then you can’t hit stuff, haha. And that means the Warrior is one of the most latency sensitive classes since the “hits per minute” is so high, whereas with Runemage you could probably for example get away with a lot more latency since you only have to guide a missile every 3 seconds or whatever.

On the elk videos, a couple of random thoughts:

• I see you trying to teleport out of the way of basic attacks a lot. That doesn’t really do anything. If a monster does a basic attack on you, you’re going to take the damage whether or not you are right next to it when the animation finishes. All you can do to prevent that is use your shield to block. Just to be clear, you can block basic attacks and other melee attacks (like “tank busters”) with your shield, moving does nothing for those; whereas, the red AoE attacks must be dodged via movement, your shield does nothing for those (including the “line charge” attack on the Elk). You may already know all that, just pointing it out for anyone else in case it’s helpful info.

• I do see several instances there where you shield doesn’t block the basic attack, though, so something is going on there. I’m wondering, have you been noticing it on all monsters and just happened to record a video of it happening on the Elk? Or does the Elk seem to give you more trouble than most? Because the Elk has a lot of stuff that’s different about it, particularly the size of it. I’m wondering if a lot of the blocking misses and swing misses are because you seem to be tending to use the shield “upward” like you’re blocking his actual bit from attacking you…which totally makes sense to do, but I just haven’t done as much testing on that size of creature and that type of blocking. So it might just be that I need to do some further adjustments for that particular scenario.

• Is there a particular spot in the video where the combos aren’t registering? I saw places where your sword swings weren’t registering hits at all but I didn’t see anywhere that I saw a registered hit that didn’t trigger a combo properly. Or did you just mean that since some of your hits aren’t registering the combos aren’t working?

Again, thanks for the videos and the reports.

EDIT: Also if for some reason you feel like you are getting more latency this time than last time, you can try using the Alternate connection type in the Launcher. It might help.

Yes, pretty much all of the Level 3 runes are heavily 3D oriented. Also the start of the ritual runes are somewhat 3D right now (the line is drawn from your side, to in front of you through the rune, to your other side).

1 Like

Try draw the whole polymorph symbol in one go, it should be easier to pull it of that way, if you’re not doing it already tho.

I had a lot of issues with the shield not blocking basic attacks for the hounds, even after swapping classes and relogging.

Interesting. Okay. The other thing I’m thinking is that in those videos he was pretty close to the creatures, and I know that happens to me a lot with the hounds too due to the way their collider is shaped and how that interacts with sword rush. Maybe there is something going on with it not working if you’re too close to the creature.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was aware of the ‘can’t block aoe’ thing, but I was not aware of the ‘basic attack moving’ thing, which is really good to know.

The only time I have combo issues is on large enemies. If I swing left to right, it sometimes shows a vertical yellow line, thinking it’s an upward slash. That makes forming combos impossible because it wont’ recognize the order you want. I thought maybe I was just swinging up because the enemy is so big, but even being very meticulous about the angle and speed made no difference. I’ve had this issue with the elk, the large pigmen, and both dungeon bosses. I can only complete a combo on the rock golem after he’s been hit by one stalactite and down on his knee. Even then I can only hit him in the crotch for it to register. Nothing hits on the face, arms, legs, etc. The elongata world boss also would not take damage this test. Last test the warrior could do damage, but this test I could stun but get no haptic feedback on the boss (shield was out of the way). The shield would randomly stop blocking against anything after a while and not even stun. That’s why in the video I tried putting it away and retaking it out because that fixed it vs. regular mobs.

I rarely have issues on normal sized mobs except with Cleave. For some reason (even on the training dummy) it won’t trigger. Eventually I’ll get a split second “waiting for” type spasm and then it will trigger perfectly from then on. Then it’ll randomly cut out. Rinse and repeat. So I’ve just avoided using Cleave. Hamstring always works, as does wound and provoke.

I’m really confused why the only time I have net issues is when I play Orbus. I play other games with the net graph settings enabled and never see any wild fluctuations. I even made sure OBS was off (no recording. I only recorded after the elk glitched 3 times in a row) , my phone and all other electronics were off wifi, and I was direct connected via Ethernet. I’ve noticed some other players saying they get the same sporadic ‘flashes’ to the home screen or steam menu, whatever, but most don’t play warrior so i don’t think they notice any effects.

Quick question about sword rush: In pvp it will highlight the enemy’s head yellow, but doesn’t actually function. Is this intentional or will it be useful later on in pvp?

Overall I think the warrior rework is an overwhelming success. The combo system is amazing, the sword rush is way better than the throw, and the horn is fun to use. You and the team have accomplished so much in such a short time that I’m sure the ‘behind the scenes’ will make it so my janky connection is still useable haha.

Thanks again for a great experience!

Edit: Re: Alternate connection: I tried that and it crashed my game. Full freeze until I ctrl alt del -> task manager

Edit2: In terms of latency: I feel like I had worse connection issues last test. Overall it was much smoother with better detection and reliability this time.

Just to be sure, when you are getting these lag spikes are you looking up at your XP bar and are there red numbers showing up saying like “Latency 456ms” or something like that? I added that in so we’d know for sure if someone is having an issue.

Like I said in my earlier comment, I’m not totally convinced what happened there was a lag spike – the wolves kept attacking you, which again if it were a lag spike the wolves wouldn’t do anything. While it was recording did you experience like a graphical hiccup or something that made you think it was a lag spike, or was it just that your sword hits stopped registering? Like is from 0:24 - 0:28 in that wolves video when you think you had the lag spike?

Yeah :24 to :28 it flashed out of the game for a second. I never saw any latency numbers on the exp bar, but to be fair I wasn’t looking up there very often.

Okay, yeah, so I’m not totally sure that’s actually a network problem. If you watch during that time of the video recording, the wolves continue to attack you, and you can see the “red vision” fading in. If you were experiencing a lag spike, then the whole game world would freeze. So I don’t think that’s actually a network thing. Next time it happens get me your output log and I can check for sure, though.

I just did a soft reset where I pushed out some new code that addresses the following:

• Warriors should now be able to use Sword Rush in PvP combat to get to melee range for enemy players.

• Re-worked the Warrior shield blocking detection mechanism to work better on large (tall) monsters. In particular, it should now detect blocking when you do what’s natural, which is to hold the shield higher up to block the attack from the monster. (So, Logan, give it another try with those Elks and tell me if that feels better now). Should also work better now on wolves.

• Re-worked the Warrior sword hit detection mechanism to better support some scenarios.

2 Likes

Actually, there was a slight bug in that new shield blocking code. It should be fixed now. Also, I noticed that at some point 3/4 of our client hosts had crashed (probably due to the soft reset), so I just had to do a hard server reset. Sorry for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Ive found if you actually aim at his toes on the ground you can hit it!

Just asking if the lagg spikes happen in other multiplayer VR games as well. I had the same issue, and it was due to the interference of the vive with the Wifi signals. The only way to get stable connection is to cable yourself to the router. Sorry if that is not the case, but maybe you have the same problem as I did.

Really? I tried that too, but trying to hit the toes didn’t work for me.

He was connected via ethernet, and also said it doesn’t happen in other games.