Beta 6 Mission and Leveling Curve Feedback

Id like the level g to be very slow so the game lasts longer. From playing and reading it seems like people want to rush to max level then raid.

Idea, make an additional server world with brand new characters. No carrying over from old orbus.

To be fair, I think what some of us are looking for is not speed of leveling but stability of leveling. If we’re expected to level multiple classes from 1 to 30, we need to have something in place that will allow us to level those additional classes up without issue.

At present, we have the same situation I laid out an entire diatribe on, with a couple tweaks on amount of xp generated, the addition of lore quests, and a few weekly quests moved from level 30 to level 5:

1. Quests are numbered such that you will likely have to do all or most of them to get one class to level 30.
  2. Limitations exist on the amount of xp generated beyond the quests (this Reborn beta has reduced xp gen for monsters, it seems, plus the reduction in xp for lower leveled quests)

Edit: if you look at a standard MMO, the number of quests available is significantly more, to the point that you should be able to level to full with only 2/3 of the quests or less. The major difference here is that we are repeating on the same characters. I’d be fine with having more quests and reduced xp to level so long as we still have quests available to level new classes

1 Like

Just to be clear, the amount of XP gained for monster kills has now gone up 25% compared to last test, it was not reduced.

MMOs with multiple classes on one character all struggle with the issue of what to do for leveling other classes…I haven’t played FF14 in a while but as an example it used to be that after you leveled the first class you basically spent your time doing public events and grinding the card duty system. I have considered adding a system like that to Orbus so that you could spend “credits” of some kind to get additional missions from the vendors on alt classes, but it’s not something we’ve had time to implement yet.

Maybe it’s just because I’ve been on my level 20 and fighting in the new dungeons (on level or me one higher), but it felt like the xp I was getting for an equivalent level mob was substantially reduced. I saw you tweaked this again earlier and have not been on since that tweak.

As far as quests for alts go, I think it’s a bad idea to require people to complete tasks on their main in order to acquire more tasks on an alt. It severely limits the amount of time someone can spend leveling the alt, given the duplicated effort necessary.

I maintain that dailies chosen randomly from level groupsets (as opposed to the current weeklies randomly chosen from the whole quest set) would be a good fix.

In FF14 you just acquire the credits naturally over time. Assuming we go with a similar system, it would basically be similar to what you are saying, just with e.g. getting 10 credits per day to spend on missions (your choice what class), you can bank up to e.g. 50. So if you want to get on once every few days and just focus on leveling an alt, so be it. (Or again, that’s how I remember it and what I was thinking of doing).

I have not played FF14, so maybe my question is ignorant: these credits would be auto-generated on a per account basis whether logged in or not?

Per-character, and yes whether logged in or not.

It’s sort of like a rested XP concept.

1 Like

I could probably get behind this, so long as the cap was decent enough to get about a 3-5 hour stretch of questing per week. Not sure about other people.

In this envisioned system, would all quests be the same price, or would some be lower than others due to the type? Will we be generating these as we level, or just after one class has hit maximum? Will all completed quests be available for repurchase or will there be a limited selection? If we buy one, will it remain even if we don’t complete it during a set amount of time? Will we be able to ‘refund’ the quests we repurchase in case we buy the wrong one? Will these still give rep with the vendors?

Not totally sure on some of those, as I said I haven’t had time to sit down and implement it yet, but the goal would be to provide something which allows you to worry less about alt leveling, or even just provides a boost on your main level through if you’re a more casual player. Likely you would just buy a mission from a vendor if you have a credit, and it gives you a random one within +/- 3 Levels of your current level (from the leveling missions grouping) – you wouldn’t be choosing the mission specifically. No idea on expiration, but if it did it would be set pretty generously (e.g. like a week or something), but we’ll see.

1 Like

I just think it’s strange that you can transform into a completely different play style and character at will. Very immersion breaking.

my solution would just be to make all of them shared exp. if you get to 20 on one of them, you get to 20 on all of them. (obviously i hate leveling in general. just drop me in endgame)

both the quest for crafting level 30 empowered strikes and crafting runesight potions dont work/dont give progress after crafting the pots

The battlegrounds missions are very unclear, most of them just ask you to win but after you win a match some don’t progress, then after a few other matches they randomly will.
It would be much better if they could say “Win x matches”, “Do x kills/damage”, “Capture x flags” etc.

1 Like

Still waiting on the day we get random treasure chests spawning around the world that contain exp. nothing that’s going to change the leveling curve much, but still a nice surprise when you find one.

The levelling seems quite fast at lower levels. I’ve manged to get from level 1 to 14 within a few hours without having to go to any other area/zone or even without trying to complete quests. Handing them at bronze/sliver doing only a couple dragon races and Zero critter capture quests, This was however with PvP always enabled and having a level 20 character which I’m guessing unlocked some extra quests.

I do hope getting from 1-30 on a fresh account isn’t just a short grind.

1 Like

Grinding sucks. Get rid of it.

On a fresh character no-pvp I hit 13.5 in approximately 5 hours and 18 after an additional 4. The quests get slightly more time consuming as you gain levels and without being able to complete the dungeon ready quests I out leveled those quickly. Not sure of the 20-30, but it’s been easy so far.

So I turned a quest in after getting gold on it, I picked up last thing last night so I should have gotten 12,000exp +10% for PvP being on +4% from gear

17:04:51:805 [Loot] Gained 11440 XP
17:04:51:805 [Loot] Earned 250 Reputation
17:04:51:805 [Loot] Gained 500 Dram
17:04:51:806 [Loot] Item Acquired: Small Reward Cache

Looking at yesterday’s combat log I didn’t get the increased exp for any yesterday either

You’re right six million IQ lets remove them grindy levels and just destroy any sense of level progression that’s left.

2 Likes