Beta 6 Mission and Leveling Curve Feedback

I also feel that the early levels have been too fast. It almost felt like I was running around in circles at some point in Highsteppe going to all the vendors because by the time I got all the way around (I did have several quests to turn in), I got another two levels. Level 11 after 2.5 hours play

2 Likes

Level progression is dumb. It is just a way to prolong the content between patches. I’d rather jump straight into the actual game that starts at max level.

you mean fighting the same boss 300 times in a row?

2 Likes

Better than leveling by killing the same mob over a thousand times to gain one level. At least those fights are fun.

There is a delicate balance somewhere between grinding for hours for single levels against mobs to get 70k xp in 50-300xp increments and leveling so quickly with quests or other features that you go blind from the levelup animation.

I haven’t hit the higher levels yet, so I still have yet to see how that looks. For now, though, I’m thinking it’s swayed a little to the latter side, at least for the first 1/3 of the levels.

Edit: what I do want is consistency across classes, so that we can level alts without grinding in the former style.

Let’s just remove all levels entirely. Also up the group cap to 100000 so everyone gets a spot. Lol sarcasm face :smirk:

1 Like

Wanting to get to the “fun” stuff without putting in any work. Yeah it’s a game, it’s meant to be enjoyable some people enjoy the grind and seeing their character progress earning access to this or that after all it’s a RPG. It would be pointless, Breaking immersion/Progression if level 1’s with wooden swords could kill giant bosses covered in armour.

Oh wait… Scaling…

2 Likes

I do think that the scaling done is far too weak of a difference. Thinking it should be +/- 7 or something? Or maybe just that the +/- 4 isn’t as substantial as it should be.

I’m fine with giving those people a setting that reduces exp gain by 99% so they can feel super accomplished when they get into end game by the time the next expac comes out.

I would prefer if scaling was a much wider +/- or even better removed totally, But that wouldn’t happen as the devs want orbus to let you and your under levelled homie go anywhere. However you’ll still aggro everything in sight if you’re under levelled but they won’t kill you as quick and you can beat them down with your wooden sword and twig bow.

Let’s get back on topic regarding feedback on the current curve, there’s no point in arguing about hypothetical extreme circumstances. We want people to spend some time leveling as they did in the old game, without a huge amount of grind and that’s why we’ve tweaked mission and event exp based on the feedback thus far.

Please move on to discussing the current exp curve. Thank you.

1 Like

How about a PTR server where you get insta 30 with all the gear so you don’t need to worry about grinding or RNG.

What does a levelling curve mean to a player when most content gets scaled, If I’m not wrong the only thing that wouldn’t be scaled is top end game content. The only reason to level is to unlock a few talents and a small capped advantage vs. player or mobs if your level climbs pass theirs.

Can’t wait to see a fully maxed level 30 in the fight for their lives verses 4 deer outside highsteppe!

1 Like

MMOs with multiple classes on one character all struggle with the issue of what to do for leveling other classes

edit: this took a while to type, so i just now saw Mathieu’s post about getting on topic. sorry about that

Fair warning that I have not played the beta and I am purely spitballing the theoretical idea of levelling right now.

Potential Issue: Player X is a max level Warrior, and wants to level up their Level 1 Runemage.
Potential Issue: Player Y is new, but has played MMOs before. They just want to do raids and avoid anything that feels like grinding.
Potential Issue: Player Z is new to Orbus, but is friends with Player W, who is in an end-game guild that is looking for new players. They want to get one class to max level as soon as possible, but would like to level up later on a second class.
Potential Issue: Player V is new to Orbus, and they want to take their time with non-combat skills and exploring the world. They want to slowly experience the world and progress as they play. They probably are not going to be levelling up an alt class any time soon, but if a system is created that just shoots everyone to max level, they won’t enjoy the experience as much.

In the original game, monsters had XP caps based on relative level at the White Star. What if we removed this while players were in a party?
So, basically, the idea is “A Level 1 character can group up with a Level 30 character, tag Level 30 enemies, and level up very quickly.”
Additional run-offs on this could even be “being in a party gives bonus XP”, “a max level character gives other party members the XP they would have earned if not at max level”, and even potentially “low level players won’t get loot from creatures much higher level than them” or “max level players get more loot killing creatures when partied with lower-level players” depending on what kind of incentive level you are hoping to give to this.

Player X is likely in a guild or has friends in the game. They level their alt and their friend may even get some good loot. Win-Win.

Player Z learns the ropes of the game and gets to hang out with their friend. They may even choose to start with low level enemies first just to get the hang of it, and they can come back to the main quests when they want to level their second class. Win-Win.

Player Y is not entirely satisfied. They don’t know max-level players, and they don’t want to grind for a few hours against trash mobs even if they did. However, the solution for them already exists to some degree in Orbus: Low-Level Dungeons that scale down for higher level players. Have your class tutorials bring you to level 2 or 3 or 5, and then get right into the ability to play the game. Make sure the trash mobs help tutorialize the boss mechancis (e.g. an Alma Sprite would be good before a boss like Sentry that retargets or the raid boss that has a room AoE in the original game). They get to play tactically interesting content, and if the dungeons provide a good source of EXP, they will likely be happy.

Player V is unaffected. They won’t want to team with max level players to “cheese”, and they probably will do each dungeon once or maybe twice, ensuring that they aren’t negatively affected by the changes. If they accidentally wander into a zone too high of a level and aggro enemies, they won’t be in a party if someone comes to save them, so they won’t accidentally level up. Like Player Z’s second character, they’ll be able to level up “normally” by doing the quests and so on.

2 Likes

i love that the mob have a icon for your quest to kill and it would be nice to have the player house in the circle of highstep and easy to find and the portal dungeon place to spawn the button much lower please

Is it normal, that lore quests doesn’t grant any exp?

I think, it’s a bad leveling system that you only will level up with side quests and events. That you need to level up your rep to unlock your lore quests.

The idea behind the lore quests is that they are supposed to give you +Rep with the Mission vendor (much more than a normal mission) but no XP. So essentially if you are into the lore of the game or want to grind rep with a vendor they are really useful, but we didn’t want to make it to where a lot of “necessary XP” for leveling up was locked behind rep level.

Idk if you saw since it got buried quick and wasn’t a direct reply to one of your messages, but both the quest for crafting level 30 empowered strikes and crafting runesight potions dont work/dont give progress after crafting the pots

I am talking to Robert about that one now.

I have a fix for this and will be fixed later today with a server restart