Closed Alpha Feedback Thread: April 20th

Been playing for ~5 hours now and here are the major things that I’ve noticed.

Threat: In my opinion, warriors need more threat added to attacks instead of relying on taunting every cooldown. Also, Ranger Charged Poison arrow does WAAAAY too much threat (it’s impossible to tank any mob after they do that attack). I’ve also noticed that the warrior’s taunt doesn’t actually taunt some of the time (when using it on a mob, they ignore it and continue to run after the DPS or healer)

Healing: Healing in game is currently VERY random. With musketeers as the only healers and their orbs being random when they respawn it makes for some very shaky healing. Please either allow musketeers to choose which spells to NOT use, or don’t spawn them back at random. OR add in a direct healing class when possible (in future test of course).

Musketeer Healing: We noticed that it’s very easy to miss players with your healing spells due to having to move out of AOEs, chasing mobs you lose threat on, and just players constantly having to teleport around. To this end would it be possible to give the healing spells either a much faster travel time, or something of a heat-seeking functionality?

Resurrection: Playing the game has been very fun and it’s been enjoyable to party up with other players. The major downside to this is that whenever any player dies, there’s no way to revive them and you have several players just sitting around waiting for their friend to walk all the way back from town. Please add in a way to revive players when out of combat.

Menus: Please add a way to close out of the menu without having to holster your weapon to get a free hand. I’ve been playing warrior and it’s way too easy to accidentally hit the menu button and then you have it up until you’re able to get out of combat. Also, I’ve had lots of issue where the menu jumps around if I move my hand too far away from it.

Compass: I love the compass way more than I thought that I would, especially the functionality to talk to your party. It is a bit iffy when trying to do this though and a lot of the time your chatting with them will be choppy and missing words.

Friends list/guild: I’ve enjoyed playing with the friends that I’ve met in game (shout out to Draven, Luv, Wousa, and Rangertank), and I’d like to play with them again later on. Is there any way that we could get a friends list or basic guild structure added to the game? Just something so that you don’t need to communicate outside the game to meet up with friends.

1 Like

I’m pushing out a new patch now which should go live in around 15 minutes. You’ll be prompted to download it the next time that you start up the game.

In particular this has fixes for a number of bugs, including:

• The trees of the Wenderwood should be fixed
  • Fixed a number of bugs related to the voice chat throwing tons of errors.
  • Fixed an issue which could result in poor performance if there were lots of people casting spells near you due to the lighting of the spells.

I will also probably do a server restart at some point in an hour or so just to pull in all the latest server-side patches for the nodes, but I will attempt to do it so that it doesn’t disrupt gameplay.

Thanks!

I found a bug involving using forward facing locomotion on the rift and turning with the analog stick, It involves the warrior sword throwing skill. if you turn using the analog or track pad then throw your sword it goes in the direction your play space was calibrated not the direction you are currently facing. This makes warriors sword throw all but useless if you are using forward facing locomotion. I will write up feed back later but this one bug kill the warrior for me atm and no one has said anything about it. I am assuming I am in the minority using forward facing locomotion and turning. Also you can’t slide with the left controller if your weapon is out that also bothers me.

Don’t have time right now to respond to this point-by-point, but a few quick thoughts:

• The Musketeer final form will indeed not be nearly as random, you will choose a set of orbs to always have available, which should make healing much easier.
  • Friends lists and guilds will come eventually.
  • Honestly I should really just take out the “pressing the menu button opens the menu” thing since htat was only there as a fallback for when the gesture recognition was new.
  • Resurrection is coming.
  • The way taunt works you get the same aggro amount as the current highest-aggro player + 1 threat point. So if people are still attacking it a taunt is not going to really help you out a lot – your teammates have to stop attacking it while you rebuild threat. You do gain threat from blocking things but you also gain threat from attacking things. There is a 3x threat multiplier currently on the Warrior attacks, so even though they do around half the damage of a DPS class their attacks count for 3x more threat. That said, if a Ranger is going to go “ham” and use every single ability (poison, charged shot, etc.) all at once, obviously you are not going to be able to get good threat on a target. But I would consider that more of a “party problem” then a “mechanics” problem. I want holding aggro to be something that is challenging to do properly not just something where if you’re there and attacking the target it’s automatic. That said, it’s not totally tuned yet and the Warrior’s kit still has a lot that needs to be added to it.

Thanks for all the feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, i just got home and i got this error message when i tried to download the game: ERROR: Unable to download correct file after multiple attempts. Couldn’t update to v1.05

Yeah sorry the new patch is deploying give it just a sec.

Okay the new patch should be available so the launcher should be working again.

Let me know what kind of download speeds you get this time.

I want to file a complaint against guild city. It’s looking way too freaking cool.

4 Likes

I just did a “soft” restart to pull in some server-side patches. I think it went much better this time. Hopefully if you were in-game you just noticed a little “shifting around” of stuff.

The bug where if you use the Mage portals from inside a different zone it causes you to get “stuck” between zones should now be fixed.

2 Likes

Was I the only one with the forward facing locomotion warrior bug?

No, I can replicate it Zelse, it’s on my bug list now. I just think like you said the forward-facing setup + Warrior isn’t super common.

Just checking in to see how patch downloading is going. Faster this time, I hope? Anyone having any issues?

Definitely faster than before, Riley. I’m downloading at a peak of 13 MB/s compared to the 2-3 MB/s of before with a 150 Mbps internet speed.

I have 300 Mbps internet speed and it’s only going 3 MB’s for me

1 Like

Hmmm, that’s interesting. I just tested it with my 300 Mbps connection and got like 30 MB/sec.

How long have you been downloading it?

Its doing better for me! no hang ups and an extra mb/s

I’m getting some very choppy low-framerate gameplay on my end. The problem is happening even in the character selection screen. I don’t know if it’s something I’ve done in the install or what but I’ve tried to remove as many variables as possible. All my drivers have been checked and updated where needed. I do run revive and the oculus store (I’m using a Vive) and I force closed all revive/oculus stuff to double check that. Restarted a few times as well. Nothing seems to be helping. My basic system specs are

• AMD FX-8350 processor
  • 16 GB of memory
  • GeForce GTS 970 GPU

I don’t really have any problems with any other VR games, and I’ve joined in for one of the earlier Orbus VR tests and didn’t have any issues other than occasional network hickups. Certainly nothing like this. Watching my resource monitor it seems that at any given time neither the CPU, memory, nor the network are really struggling. I think cpu was at something like 15% and memory at 30%. I’m going to try reinstalling on my SSD to see if that makes a difference. Currently it is installed on a secondary 1TB drive (that’s quite full if that makes a difference) in a non-programfiles location.

You might check your output log (under /resources/app/client/vrclient_Data/outputlog.txt) and just make sure there’s not like 100’s of error messages piling up or something. Just in case.

Other than that I’m not really sure. The characters select screen is super easy to render, it doesn’t even connect to our server at that point. And there’s like barely anything on the screen. So yeah it sounds like something else weird is going on.

If you really want to dive into it the other thing you can do is open up your SteamVR settings menu, and look under the Developer Tab at all the performance metrics and see if it’s reporting any missed frames or anything like that.

Hi, I am getting some stuttering issues. I have a 1070 gtx but a gen 1 i7 950. FPS is fine but fairly often it kind of starts loading the steamVR screen and then back in game. It happens quite frequently. My internet connection is good too and very reliable with little jitter and low ping. I am in the UK though if that could cause an issue. Any ideas?

1 Like