Closed Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Keep in mind that (as I said in the blog post) the leveling is supposed to be 1/3 Main Story quests, 1/3 Side Quests/Hunting Log, and 1/3 Grinding. So right now you’re missing out on almost 1/3 of the non-grinding XP. So we’ve boosted the grinding XP for now to make up for that. So grinding should be faster than you think.

I’m not sure if we’ll do a full-blown level sync, but we do have plans to encourage higher-level players to go back and do lower-level content over again by tying it into high level quests/achievements.

Hmm had to Fully exit the game this time around to get it to quit doing the disconnect booting me to the login screen.Bug log sent

ok this time when i logged back in i was in ghost world with nothing around. so i did the return to graveyard. it threw me into the desert… Its not friendly here for a level 3 with no wand…

Edit: Heldor found me and portaled me back

Any chance you got around to looking at the loot table for those desert gloves? :blush:

It looks like right now they are dropping off the Level 18 Pyramid Men (as opposed to the Level 15-16 Pyramid Men). There are only 6 of them in the whole zone currently, though, so that was a mistake, haha.

1 Like

Solid experience, a couple of thoughts:

• Items in the belt and “chest” should be slightly smaller, specially the compass and multitool. They give you a sense of being in the way. They could enlarge to normal size on your hand though.

• If Trackpad movement will be disabled whenever there is a fight, then teleport recharge must be better balanced. I found it extremely frustrating trying to travel in some places (especially returning to the first village) because wolves or other monsters would lock on to you from far away, disabling trackpad movement, and Teleporting is too slow to “run away”. Running away should be a possibility.

• The bow has a serious issue calculating trajectory, I’m a decent player in bow games, but I could hardly hit anything that was farther than 2 “roomscale” distance. I noticed that on extremely calculated shots and with the same hand positions, arrows tended to hit on almost “predetermined” angles. I would miss a little to the left, I corrected, then I would miss a little to the right, corrected again, missed to the left, and so on, and so forth, If I moved some meters to the left, now, the arrows shifted to the right would hit a little more consistently. Also, arrows randomly would overshoot or undershoot a lot.

• I tried to get the Runemage class going just by the information provided by the game. It’s impossible. If you already know the location of the witch, then you can easily follow the quest, but if you don’t have outside information, there is no logical way of finding her. I traveled a great deal and found no info, no npc comments, no nothing.

I mean, nothing about the bow shooting should be “random”. The aim is determined by the angle between your bow hand and your arrow hand. If you move one or the other your shot will change direction. And then how far you pull back on the arrow hand determines the strength of the shot…then of course also how far up/down you aim would determine whether you overshoot or undershoot something. If it seems like the bow is shooting around randomly that might be a bug? Can you record a video of that happening?

There are a couple of hints dropped about her in various quests, for example:

“I’m sure you’ve heard the ghost stories. The Witch of Mulbirth, she dwells within those trees. Rumor has it that the old hag lives near Leisa Falls, guarding the forest. Best be careful when heading out that way.”

But in general it’s not supposed to be something that’s super-obvious right away. It may even be the kind of thing you have to ask another player about, which we are okay with.

You are definitely right about this, I will play around with the sizes of those.

2 Likes

There’s something wrong in the desert ruins: in some places i hit the air and i have to come very close to the enemy to hit him. I did 2 screenshots http://imgur.com/a/Hq7vT/

I had a windows error that i never seen before. Unfortunately i missed the screenshot but it said “Insufficient memory, close this app: vrclient.exe” (Experimental build. i was spellcasting with 3 other guys.)
PS: I have 8GB RAM

Again, here’s the screenshot http://prntscr.com/gapgpt

Translation: Close the programs to avoid loss of information. Insufficient Memory. Save the files and close the following programrs: vrclient.
Close application. Cancel.
Will be closed only the number of programs enough to restore the memory.

I’m sure it’s the experimental build, i’ll switch again to the normal build.
Edit: i played again with the experimental build and i haven’t crashed at all in an hour or almost and i was in the first zone with a lot of people.

Hi all,

Been playing a bunch - Muskeeteer to 10, Rune Mage to 3. Completed the main story quests. A couple notes:

After every long session, when I choose logout, the game crashes. Not a big deal - I was stopping anyways, but figured I should mention it.

Mostly played solo. Up until level 9 it seemed like I could always find an ideal target - something that was what I believe is even level - (pink 3 pointed shape), and saw that xp was level * 30 when killing those. At level 9, the best spot I could find was the lizardman adolescents in the jungle - however half of them were 8, and half were 9. This made it feel a bit slower… Was there a better spot I missed? Also, at level 10 is there an ideal spot? The (almost) island in the jungle with the spiders was too tough - since they nearly always come in pairs. I found I was able to kill the tigers (which were red 4 pointed icons - +1 level?, so level 11?) and they gave over 500 xp per kill much more easily.

The xp dropping by half for things one level below you feels a bit extreme to me, but it does keep me moving around the world / searching for new locations.

Did manage to kill a sheep shifter at a fairly low level - ran towards a guard - he went after it, and once he had aggro, I plinked away at it. Got over 800 xp for that fight.

Closed fort gates don’t block teleportation - managed to get to a few (empty) areas that probably aren’t intended to be available yet, as a result of that.

One interesting bug: One time I started playing and only had one Vive controller (my right hand) on. Got in game and then realized the left was off. Hit the power button, and it turned on, but… Teleporting with it was semi-broken. Instead of the arc coming out of it in the normal direction, it was reversed (basically pointing down into my arm). I could still use it, if I twisted the controller to an odd angle.

One last bug I noticed yesterday - it seemed like super fast teleport taps (1 frame?) when you’re using sliding movement would actually teleport you all the way back to where you last brought up the teleport UI.

Overall, I’ve had a bunch of fun - this reminds me of the original EverQuest in lots of good ways. :slight_smile: Keep up the good work - I’m looking forward to what comes next. :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed a bug that doesn’t just apply to me. It was me and another Oculus Rift user.

We couldn’t rotate with out joysticks when we had our runemage wands out. It’s a bit iritating.

Someone said that it was because the trackpad is used in casting. But that’s the Vive. The Rift doesn’t use the joystick for anything but movement. Casting is mapped to an “A” button.

Quote from the patch notes:
“We’ve re-worked the game controls so that you can now generally always use the touchpad/thumbstick on either controller at any time to control your movement. So, no more needing to use the “arrow hand only” when you’re a Ranger, for example. The one exception to this rule currently is that you cannot press the trackpad/A button on your wand hand while you are a Runemage, as it interferes with spell casting. We are looking at options to get around this, though.”

I see your point, and the quote above doesn’t say they blocked the joystick. But I think that is a mistake from the devs. I think they meant to say they blocked any movement possible with the wand hand temporary. I think this because they are still mentioning the A button as if you could have moved with that too lol.

Having played more I have found myself unable to get to “university city” by the airship. I have the ticket and the rings and have done the quests up to this point. The second chefquest did end quite abruptly after I gave him the “Red Truffle” with no XP (at least what I could see). The airship “guy” don’t speak to me so I can’t give him the ticket… I have spoken to the prison er in the wagon too.

More of a bug is that sometime ingredients on the alchemy table get “stuck” to your hand and you can’t drop them in the pot. They even stay there when you equip sword/wand. Perhaps a graphics glitch but fact remains that I can’t drop them.

Have you talked to Bart? It says so in the Journal. So you have both rings? Did you equip both rings too? The airship guy also mentions briefly that the ship currently doesn’t go to university isle. But you can’t reread it, so most people mis it. You have to walk to it now. It is in Guild City. The airship guy should also stand a bit to the right now on the platform.

Do you still have the ticket in your inventory? If so, walking to Guild City would not be a good plan. Because you won’t find Roma until you lost your ticket to the airship guy.

(I must say this quest can go wrong way to easy)

Yes, I have talked to Bart and have both ring equipped. When I talked to the airship guy I must have missed that the airship doesn’t actually go there though.

Yes, I have the ticket in my inventory… Roma is still standing outside the house below the Airship platform so he hasn’t left physically just yet :slight_smile:

I wonder what happens if I destroy the ticket…

EDITED: It worked walking to the city even with the ticket. Thanks for the help

Glad you could continue. I had that too, that roma was standing by the airship before going to Guild city. It would be a nice change to the quest if they would first teleport him to Guild City so you can have an indication that he left. Mainly because alot of people get to Guild City and Roma still isn’t in Guild City because they haven’t talked to Bart or the Airship guy yet.

Did the ticket disappear after the Roma quest? Because the only thing I wasn’t sure about, is when the ticket actually disappears.

Yes the ticket disappered :slight_smile:

Navigation: So far i found navigation has been really good but I find that during combat it can be quite difficult to side-step or dodge out of the way. and you feel like a stone during combat, would be nice to add a quick side-step of some form to allow more fluid combat.

I also found i got lost quite a lot and the ‘‘compass’’ didn’t really meet my needs as a brand spanking new player. I like the map function and think a little blimp on the map (Something similar to minecraft) will do the trick nicely, Or something like skyrim. Not so much a mini-map but more like pulling out your book going to the map page and seeing where you are (or your group members)

Combat: The combat is really cool! although it would be nice to just be able to pick your class from the menu instead of doing the long ass intro. And I still cant understand why mage or isn’t apart of the intro if warrior and marksman and bowmen is?

Story: The story could be a little better and maybe some voice actors, The only problem with all-text chat is that reading in vive or oculous can be quite tiring for your eyes, Even some basic voice acting to give a shortened version of what the text says would be nice.

Environment: I love the way the game is designed it looks really cool! although i wish the sky didn’t look like a blank void at night, It could just be my eyes though. You guys did an amazing job and i cant wait to explore the environment more! :slight_smile:

Player communication: Spot on!, although i’m worried about mic spammers i wasn’t able to find a mute or block button o3o

Overall score (Taking in consideration its just beta) 7/10 would recommend

You guys at orbus are making an amazing game! first of its kind! your taking leaps and bounds into the future and developing a game i can happily stand by!

Love-Nic <3

I noticed on various stairs around the world if you teleport to them at the right angle you kinda go inside the stairs. You get stuck for the most part, you can teleport out or into the up/down portal. But Just wanted you to know @Riley_D.

This doesn’t cause any crashed or you to go under the map (that I have found yet) so might not be too bad.