Closed Beta 3 Feedback Thread

I started a new character to recheck the newbie zone.
I notice a typo in guardian Bart’s dialog i wish I wrote it down cause now I don’t remember exactly what it is…just read through it and you’ll notice it.
Guardian Bart informs you during the gathering training that your tool will be on your belt when you have your weapon away. This is not the case. Your harvester is there all the time whether you have your weapon out or not. It would be nice if it did disappear while your weapon is out though. Your arrows, harvester, compass, teleportation device, all make for a cluttered front. Correction the harvester does disappear when you have your bow and arrow out but other classes don’t make it disappear.
The chef’s apprentice has a typo as well. He says you instead of your. He also gives you the teleportation device, which you already have in your inventory. You end up with two.
The map in your journal is cut off a bit. Where he says he’ll mark the king stag on it is cut off and you only read ng stag.

Whenever you enter or exit a building your ability to slide is disabled until you make a small teleport hop, then it begins working normally. Same happens after you are sent to the graveyard.

I’m focusing a lot on the newbie area because, in my opinion, that area needs to be polished nicely for early access. You want your first impression to be a good one. More to come! :smile:

1 Like

I noticed that our home doesn’t have anything special about it that marks it as our home.
I have a pretty cool idea that would help identify it and add an interesting mechanic to the game. Add a mailbox that has the players name on it. If Chrondar and Logan are standing in front of the house Chrondar would see his name on it and Logan would see his. You could also remove the messages icon from the menu and just have a mail notifier there saying you have mail please visit your mailbox to retrieve. All mail composition and retrieval would be done at your mailbox in front of your home. Not sure if it’s easily done or not but I thought it might be a cool feature that also helps identify which building is your home.

Last night I was messing around in the locomotion options menu and when I changed the options on the very bottom other options started changing and losing letters and sometimes you couldn’t tell what they said. If you clicked other buttons sometimes they would fix themselves and show the right words again. I kept clicking and eventually it didn’t do it anymore. I have a video of it but I’m not sure it really shows the cause. https://imgur.com/a/8TV5l First picture there are missing letters in the “Strafe (sideways)” part and the second picture there are missing letters all over but the worst is at the bottom. That’s supposed to say “Snapped turn”. The letters can look very… jumpy or jittery I guess… when changing options sometimes.

Speaking about the turning options. I love that I can strafe with my left and turn with my right hand but the turning is crazy fast right now. Is there any way to make it turn slower when selecting that option? Maybe a slider bar with how fast you would like to turn?

This is a stupid bug and not priority at all but I found out if you fish inside your house(and maybe other buildings) you can end up casting through or past the walls and your fishing rod becomes unusable until you remove it and put it back on - logging out did not fix it. It’s a really strange bug because it’s like the bobber just keeps going forever after you cast it then your line disappears. If you put the rod on your back then take it out the bobber gets stuck behind your head in mid-air and remains attached to the rod via the line.

J figured out you can level up fishing in combat by switching to fisher mid-fight. Might wanna get that fixed quickly heh

adolescent lizards attack animations are busted.

I noticed the chickens in Cenn’s yard have no attack animations either.

One thing noticed as the ranger, whenever I get rezzed by the spell and possibly the graveyyard, my bow will be turned sideways and my grip will be on the tip of the arrow which makes it hard to use and only fixes on a relog.

A few other things:

• The big enemies with the sword in frosten spit doesn’t have name and level symbol
  • There is a npc in frosten spit with a “!” but nothing happens when i wave him
  • There are a few circles in the whole world (like the items you can grab, but there is nothing), are them hidden items not added yet?
  • There is also a rope in Highsteppe with a circe but nothing happens when i take it.
  • Sometimes the question mark doesn’t appear but you still get the quest by waving the npc

Also i put this yesterday in a wrong thread but my ring (obtained by a new quest, can’t remember the name but it wasn’t the Highsteppe ring because that one wasn’t equippable as quest item) disappeared while equipped like the helmet.

EDIT: I also have these 2 pages that don’t disappeared https://i.imgur.com/riJ0Hs3.jpg

Just reporting that Ridgeback Fish currently do not stack. A single fish takes its own inventory slot.

This has happened to me as well.

This has effected me as well

I died and got dc’d in the wilds. When I came back to my body, I couldn’t see my loot, but my party members could and could grab it.

There is a frustrating interaction between the autorun, Grabbing items on your belt, and slide-locomotion in combat.

I would be sliding into position and reach out to grab my horn. Once I do grab it, I start to sprint. Then I keep sprinting well past where I want to be because the autorun doesn’t stop, even after I give other movement commands, and I end up out of stamina way out of position.

I’m able to work around it, but it would be very nice to see autorun as a toggle setting in the menu (Always Enabled, Disabled During combat, and Always Disabled).

Warrior Woes

I think the nature of how warriors are expected to maintain aggro on a group of targets needs to be looked at.

The most effective means of group control I’ve found is to spam cleave and pray the stragglers don’t kill the team before they all just die. Tooting the horn, for example, does not seem to do very much in the moments where you desperately are trying to grab aggro, usually at the start of a fight.

One such fix would be to change how the horn effects aggro, this can be done by punching the threat it generates way up (instead of simply making you #1 on the chart), and/or making sure you are the top aggro for the next few moments.

Another may be to add craftable throwable objects, like throwing axes, that can be used as a short ranged pull tactic, as well as a means to taunt stragglers without moving the rest of the enemies you currently have taunted.

Additionally, there could be a better combo introduced for maintaining threat, that generates large amounts of threat in an area.

Cleave works pretty well in that regard, but there are two main issues, both revolving around consistency of use. If there are too many enemies near/on you, your strikes to reposition the blade for the next strike can accidentally trigger another attack, making the compbo very difficult to perform without repostioning (while the rest of your party dies). The other is that the cleave combo and the provoke combo are very close, and if you mess up your cleave at the wrong point, you end up doing the provoke combo with an extra hit in a loop, even though you are doing the cleave combo.

There are a few tricks I have been able to figure out to make aggro management more feasible, mostly regarding the use of the Gravity Orb. Ultimately, group management is very taxing.

I know you guys are not done implementing class features. I would really like to see a rework of warrior threat generation in some capacity.

We tried to do the desert dungeon. Everything went smooth until the end. We killed all the mobs and the three mini robots. After that the big robot never released from his cage.

Same thing happened to our group. Once we killed the 3 spider bots, we kept on looking for something we might’ve missed to trigger the cage but found nothing.

Cloakfish and Xolotol also do not stack. This isn’t intentional, right?

So cleave isn’t a threat gen ability. It’s awesome for trash mobs if you already have aggro or are soloing lower level enemies/ weak hitters, but it’s not good for maintaining aggro.
Best strategy in large groups is to work the outside of the mob and provoke 1 enemy at a time starting with elites and enemies with aoe abilities/fast attack speed dudes. The more you fight the easier it is to identify the biggest threats. You will never aggro everything and the party has enough dps to kill the weak stuff and attack non-aggrod targets first.
It will always feel like you aren’t doing a very good job because enemies slip passed but if everyone survives and no one complains I think we’re good lol.
We will be getting a threat meter next test which will help us test more stuff and form better tactics.

If I could ask one thing to be fixed it would be for the devs to figure out how to fix the sword from tapping every enemy when you’re in a big mob. Combos are useless if you do 4 rights, 4 lefts, and the up turns into 2 rights, a left, and an up. It forces us to abandon our spot in the fray and circle the outside. Being in an off position also gives all enemies out of reach the chance to run straight at our allies and we have to give chase.

1 Like

Yay! More beta! :slight_smile:

I haven’t played a lot of Orbus, so I thought I’d start a new character. This is feedback on my basic interactions with the three starting classes:

Musketeer: This was the easiest one to get the hang of. The bullets are pretty intuitive to use once you’ve read the tooltips, and the ones I selected were pretty easy to identify. The only issue was my turret thing, which seemed to say I could shake it to switch between healing and DPS mode. It was always in DPS mode for me.

Ranger: This was good too. I think I got most of it worked out. The two icons on the bow are charged shot and caltrop. That really wasn’t made clear. The arrows you pick are there by your legs and picking them up is intuitive. I didn’t see a timer for these arrows though, the charge and caltrop have timers.

One thing I noted when switching between ranger and musketeer is that the first two ammo slots are shared. It would be nice if my musket remembered my musket ammo and my bow remembered my arrows.

Warrior: This is a mystery to me. Bart asked me to be a Warrior first and told me to go hit the target and avoid hitting my own shield. That was it. I eventually noticed the horn on my chest and worked out how to blow that. No idea what that does though. I assumed it was good. There were a couple of other icons on my shield, but I have no idea what they do. I guess I’m missing something fundamental, as I found the Warrior very weak against even the target dummies. I could mange between 1 and 6 damage per hit. Sharp contrast to the Ranger, who when using a pink arrow and charging it, could do 69 (!!).

Some more info on fighting is definitely required for Warrior, and putting a “how to” for each class in the journal would be good. I’m sure some people will play for hours in one class on starting the game and then when they go to switch will have forgotten what Bart told them.

Other Stuff

Character generation is a little clunky with having to look down, select a new hair style, then look up to assess it. I’d prefer selecting hair style, then maybe just using left and right on the track pad to switch or something. Picking them with the finger really requires you to focus too far away and then look back.

I thought there was a bug with the sliding, but having read this thread, I see it was auto-run. Sweet, that’s a great addition!

I love the remote looting, so I don’t have to bend down.

The map in the Journal is great too. Will it have our location on it eventually? Pros and cons of both, in a way it’d be really nice to have to actually map read, and know where you were. Getting lost would actually be quite cool, and immersive, although I could see some folk getting irritated with it. I guess they can teleport. The map did seem truncated on the left side.

I found the main text (with continue) too close to me for comfort. I took to leaning forward to continue and then leaning back to read it. Probably my issue as the edges of my vision in VR are blurred.

The quest accepted text is also not great for me, but as it is fixed to the headset, I can’t accommodate for it. I would prefer it to either be fixed in the world, rather than to my head, or for there to some preferences, where you could choose either, and if possible, where it appears relative to your head. Also the “quest accepted” text when you get told to head to the chef is way too much text to read in the time you’re given.

I very much enjoyed my restart! The houses in the town looked like they’d been buffed, have the graphics improved? I’m off work this week, so hopefully I’ll get in loads more.

Keep up the great work :+1:

1 Like

Additionally I’m unsure how the horn functions. Supposedly it throws you to the top of the aggro table +1 provoke. Is that per enemy? So if I have aggro on enemy 1 but not 2 am I put to the top of 2 and no effect on 1? Does it lower my total threat on 1 to just above the 2nd highest player? (Doubt this)
I can’t tell if the horn is broken or I just don’t have a good understanding of it. Enemies will occasionally turn to me after a horn but then flip back and not turn even with 7 provokes in the back.