Dev Q&A Part 6- 6/22/2021

It’s been a while since we have done one of these, so we thought we would dive back into it with some new questions players have posted for us. I wanted to start with a question I see appearing more recently-

What is being done about the (I assume) server instabilities that lead to frequent black boxing and crashing?

Just wanted to first thank everyone that sends in bug reports and follows up with us when we reach out afterwards as I know it can be a thankless task and seem like it does no good, but we really appreciate it, and it allows us to keep track of which bugs are causing the most havoc, along with tracking down and fixing them. With that said there has been a spike of reports of de-syncs/crashes. While these are happening on our server side code we believe, it is not related to the server size or server stability itself as of checking today we are only using about 5% of our server capacity. We have been looking into this issue and have a few leads, but nothing solid enough to put a fix in yet as it looks like its a few different bugs causing the problems, so not one “silver bullet” fix that we can implement to fix it all (like a bigger server). We will be making a post later on this week to try and get some 100% reproducible cases, along with trying to get the issues more clearly identified on whats happening and when, to break it down into a more thorough cases as opposed to the general “de-sync” that we have been using. One note though while trying to track down some of these errors we were able to fix 2 long outstanding bugs on our backend, along with making progress on the “invisible monster” bug we were tracking.

Is it at all possible that we’ll see some extra game modes or party sizes to battlegrounds to spice it up a little?

Yes you will see some changes coming to the battlegrounds in the coming months. We are looking at creating a new battlegrounds environments (we will be taking suggestions for the type/place of environment), along with doing a general balance pass on the classes inside the battlegrounds to prevent some of the classes from being able to 1 shot players (only in battlegrounds we will not be modifying anything in the overworld PVP). As far as party sizes, with the current size it takes a little while to get a match going, so we would not want to increase the party size any, if anything we would look into bringing back the free for all that was in pre-born, but that would require a larger re-work of the current battlegrounds then we currently have planned.

What’s next for Orbus after these hard mode raids?

Since the Citadel Raid has been released, along with the hardmode version, Marko’s has hit the ground running, wasting no time in making up for the years he has been imprisoned, wanting to bring Highsteppe out of the darkness it has been in. More information will be coming out in the next few weeks talking more about it, along with the release date, but here is a little teaser image before then.

What is the eta on the new mute/block features?

We just released a new QOL feature last week that we wanted in game before finalizing the block feature, where there was a better visual indicator of the players speaking around you and their volume level so you can better identify which players around you are speaking, in the case of needing to report someone. I am hoping to have the block feature in the coming months.

Hey devs… how are you doing?

While I don’t speak for the entire dev team on this question, I am doing great!

Could we add Capes to the list of things that can go into the furniture trunks so we can display them?

The way the capes are currently set up for players and how our furniture chest works the current answer is no, and we don’t have it planned for right now, but it is possible in the future but not going to make that promise now.

What’s the devs favourite npc?

Randel, the tutorial NPC.

How do the devs feel about the state of endgame content and gear progression, and what players are supposed to do after experiencing all the content in Orbus?

That is a good question. Currently a player would need to complete all 6 dungeons, Guild city normal and hard raid, Shard dungeons 1-15, and Citadel normal and hard raid to complete all the end game content in game. I know the long term players have been accomplishing this, and are currently burning through the Citadel Hardmode raid as we speak to get the gear and the new level of weapons. Once you have completed that you have reached the current end, congrats, but there is still much to do. One example is getting new players to experience that same content as you mentor them along, or playing with your fellowship trying for that perfect clear, leveling up an additional class while running through the content also. While we are currently planning for some new content coming out late this year, it is more based on horizontal progression VS the upward gear progression from the endgame community, so it will be fun/new content but would not be limited to the “endgame” community necessarily.

Are scavs really bad guys in orbus or are we the bad guys to them?

I’d say at one time they were not the bad guys, just those that refused to retreat to the safety of Highsteppe, but through the years of raids and attacks have turned into the bad guys. But there have been some attempts at bridging the gap between the societies inside the Flooded Rainforest by the Scav Ambassador

Do you have any money sinks planned aside from what you have now (Dragon mount and Dram mount)?

Getting the Orbus economy working, and in good condition has been an ever-evolving project for us, and I think it has been improving with the changes we have made from the feedback from the community. I think this is an area where the players know what they would like to see, and what they would be willing to spend their dram on, so I’d be interested in knowing what types of things the players would like to see as dram sinks. The server bombs have been popular, and are a re-occurring sink that players can buy that not only helps themselves, but the server as a whole, which I really like.

Have there been any thoughts on adding any new over world legendaries?

Yes. That is all.

Have you considered adding new in game shop items? It’s a bit surprising that this hasn’t been utilized more, as I’m sure plenty of players are willing to support the game with in game purchased cosmetics.

Yes we will have more items coming to the cosmetic store this year. If there is anything specifically you want to see be sure to post and let us know.

Looking ahead we have the Summer Fest starting in less then a week, so be sure to get those Spring Fest quests completed before the 29th!

13 Likes

Clarification now! is this the favourite by vote of the devs? Or a just 1 persons favourite?

Where’s the love for Helga?

What about Whisper and her green leaf ice cream foundation?

Or how Sicilius shines bright?
Sicilius 'crooked nose'

:fire: :fork_and_knife: I demand justice :fork_and_knife: :fire:

3 Likes

well personally i would like to maybe have some transmogs maybe a funny costume
or
the ability to buy perk points for a high amount of dram

2 Likes

What about paying to have silver or gold foil applied to ordinary armour, to add the shimmer?

3 Likes

I still like the idea of Dragon Wax, which someone suggested a while back. Make your dragons gleam!!! (but please not overly bright like the firefly - that one’s a migraine trigger)

1 Like

a battlegrounds map in a ruined building would be epic

2 Likes

ohh that would be cool. I would love to see some vertical play too. so a big second floor that people can fight over and then shoot down at people or people can snipe up at. melee or close range fighters can camp stairs to get the jump on people. Could be more depth and tactics than just a flat open field that you run along.

3 Likes

The town aesthetic change is a breath of fresh air!

In terms of $ my biggest interest would be affording a new developer or fixing / upgrading class mechanics & make equipment more interesting beyond basic stats. Like unique affixes for fire spells vs frost spells etc. One might focus on CC one might focus on a small DPS increase. I might buy something from a cash shop but I am mostly interested in practical items. However myself and others usually hate seeing practical things in item shops that should just be part of the base game. In the past I bought aesthetic stuff moreso because I wanted to put money into Orbus not because I actually was interested in the items. On that note, idk, maybe weapon skins? Something that changes your fireworks spell? Changes your portal orb color or orb/pillar mesh? Alternative grinder skins (for belt/and on the floor)? Something that prevents “perfect spells” from making a loud noise? lol.

Secondly, upgrading storage systems (beyond adding slots). Auto salvaging green/blue equipment. Multi-salvaging. Different kinds of storage or numbers beyond 99+. Maybe even making items somewhat worth something to NPCs for dram.

Thirdly, economy stuff. I elaborate below on some things below.

A great source of endgame progression is through class mechanics. Mages can play almost indefinitely due to the skill gap, even though around 200 hours they get pretty good. I lack the same desire in other classes since you can get near the peak very quickly. Mages themselves as a class have room for improvement due to broken or useless spells & talents (and other classes face similar issues).

Another great source of endgame progression is economy. Getting rich to buy rich things. Getting into crafting (but this is free / does not expand with gametime) like buying a cauldron, buying a fancy mansion, expensive furniture, home-support NPCs, etc. Support consumables (food to increase regen / other buffs, bandaids, pots [night vision, healing, stat buffs, curing poison, etc]), offensive consumables (bombs/explosive pots, sticky aoe slow pots, weapon poison pots)). Just to name some of the things from other games. Typically these are a mixture of mob drops or NPC purchased items, or can be done entirely from both. Often consumables are necessary to carry and sometimes use (arguably aged enhanced pots, for ex), unlike current HP pots for example (outside of tanking). Tilesets could require you to etch or draw the runes in accurately or it breaks. Affixes could be enchantable, using shards as ingredients rather than a random re-roll.

Perk points, while better than nothing, are the definition of playing the game to play the game. Don’t have to specialize such as fishing to get fish perks, don’t have to craft to get crafting perks, can’t buy a faster cauldron, no tradable consumables to make the cauldron temporarily faster, etc.

Or leveling alts (but this is done in 3-4 hours of fully loaded daily quests + whatever weeklies). Gearing alts is similarly fast with trading +5 on shards. I’d say total I spent about 3-4 hours to hit level 30 on pally, and another 2 hrs of shards as a mage to get a full +5 level 30 pally. That said if the leveling experience required to be pally, leveling pally would probably be hell for me because I dislike the low pally dps, the pally mechanics, the spamming of unchallenging/uninteresting world events, critter capture, etc. To improve the leveling experience class themselves need to be addressed first & the world / the quest system & events. For example, the perfect but ungrasped opportunity to introduce an RPG job/quest/mission board concept.

Or the new blueish-green foil on the citadel hardmode raid gear

1 Like

Ok but like really tho are we just going to keep Nodenghastâs/the castle/the mother of the gods of chaos in the sky to spread fear among the residents? I know we can’t really just open a portal for it to go through (because last time that happened it destroyed everything) but still. Or did it just leave on its own

This quote really upsets me because the devs are coming out and blatantly saying that they are aware of the one shot potential (scoundrel and ranger) but they won’t or just don’t care enough to do anything about it when it comes to world pvp. We are almost back to how it was when reborn was first released and the reason why scoundrel needed a nerf because they were the entire meta and completely uncontested. I really does feel like the devs don’t care about world pvp and have given up on it.

2 Likes

Although I don’t think that they haven’t completely given up on it it probably just isn’t that high on their priority list, it’s sad by makes sense because most of the player base is pve only.

1 Like

^ this

I am hoping that the top priority is server connection and state stability before anything else. And after that there are a multitude of other bugs to hunt down as well as streamlining the player starting experience. Possibly along with GUI changes to facilitate that.

The die-hard fans are probably not going anywhere, but with the current state of the game, any influx of new players are in high risk of having very low retention because of the above.

1 Like

About pvp, will a dueling system be implemented anytime soon?

I’m still waiting that last 25% :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Me too. I need all of the answers to the questions Ewok asked and more.

Marlowe somehow got trapped by the citadel?!?!

Chef Lethrow rejoicing in the fish bounty from the new fishing quest?? What’s he going to cook?

Mayor Kaia running away with the Trickster Goblin (Greg??) on a magic carpet ride?!?

How does Cenn like it when we try to capture him!?!?

Bell Cenn seems to have a perpetual cold. Will she ever get relief?

And finally, the Airship Captain who just wants to satisfy Helgas as much as the rest of.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.