I will preface this with: Any changes you think you might be making, you might want to check in for feedback with the whole community before going neck-deep in changes & wasted time by just producing something else people don’t like.
- Light (it sticks now again, right? I haven’t been on to test. Increasing the radius might be nice tho).
- Ice Lance (only pairs well with frost shamans and mechanics don’t usually require it anymore. For example the old worm boss used to be good for ice lance because you could frost up the adds and hit all 3 enemies). When this spell was bugged it was the bees-knees, the KING of spells. This baby felt amazing back in the day.
- Frost 1 (Idk what you can do for this since it’s obsoleted by Frost 2 and Fireball 1. It might be in an okay spot and remain useless forever).
- Arcane Ray. Extremely low damage, low duration. Can’t cast other spells while its going off so your DPS is capped at the Arcane Ray dmg/time per hit vs other spells you could be casting a lot faster. Technically you can cast other spells during this time, but its a bug and the damage is so low that it’s not worth casting anyways.
- Mana Shield. If it lasted like 10, 15, 30 minutes it might be good. Or if it did something interesting instead. Maybe if it AoE’d or if there was Mana Shield 2, or a ritual for casting a group/large AoE version of it to buff the group. It’s just unnecessary and doesn’t last any amount of time.
- Pushback 2. Maybe this spell is underrated. However it just doesn’t feel like the juice is worth the squeeze. Maybe bump up that damage by a lot? I could say, make it slow as well, but idk. Idk what it would take to make this spell good and not op, but it sucks right now. It is fun to cast though! Pushback SFX are very satisfying visually and audibly.
- Static Shock. It’s range is sooooooooooooooooooooo short, doesn’t match the animation, and is sometimes finnicky with the hitbox. You can’t cast while activating it either. Needs a general rework.
- Fireball 3 (obsoleted by Fireball 2, doesn’t AoE)
- Frost 3 (used to be the bomb diggity but ice lance sucks now and mechanics don’t require it anymore).
- Triplicity (pre-cast only now since it was nerfed to the ground). Used to be amazing. I’d rather get something cool or useful than a meh talent, despite looking cool & being fun to cast.
- Arcane Explosion(extremely rare and short-term of using True Affliction for some AoE purposes, or for pulling mobs AoE but not really necessary. Yes it does great AoE damage vs many targets and ur dps will be nuts but it’s usually better anyways to just murder the stronger targets. It’s an okay spell).
- True Affliction great for AoE but it reduces your spell damage, DOESN’T even tell you that it does that… horribly misleading for what used to be an amazing talent. It’s only used for niche purposes True Affinity is so much better now that True Affliction is garbage. There’s also less mechanics that would require True Affliction now but adding them would just make rune mages respec in between boss fights probably.
- Decurse…sort of. It’s good for fighting other mages, rangers, poison mobs, and totally wrecks musketeers. It used to be much more important with the old desert temple dungeon & the squid boss. You could also guarantee your own survival during the world worm boss, Sanyael or whatever. I still use this spell quite a lot, it’s pretty decent vs poison mobs, but it’s importance has plummeted greatly.
- Shared vs Selfish Streak. This talent is a stat-stick. Do more damage across the board. It’s powerful, no doubt. Doesn’t say make your frost&fire spells do more or your DoT damage + DoT duration (because just duration boosting like contamination is 100% useless as affliction is part of mage tileset rotations + in general DPS rotation + factor that mages share DoTs rather than have their own unique DoT debuff). Or do something cool like modify how some of your spells work. Frost spells now hit for 33% more vs fire spells now AoE, or fire spells now apply a small DoT… and so on. This lack of interesting talents is also partially due to how gear is all stat-sticks and nothing unique about the different wands and so-on. Because for example there is no say “Fire specialist” wand that might want you to take fire talents over frost talents, etc. Playstyles are basically identical not much preference involved.
- Runic Diversity. Another stat-stick. Mages are going to rotate their spells for their tileset. This is just free damage. You’d want fireball to be the third spell if possible, so there is that atleast. I just feel that something more interesting could go here.
- Make Lend a Hand an in-game option, replace it. Lend a hand is amazing. When it came out I thought it would be pointless ( no pun intended ). However, it is extremely good. So good in fact that no other talent can compare to it, and it’s useless to even have it be a talent. Move this to options as a preference, or make it be the default option for spellcasting.
True Affinity is also basically a stat stick. The bonus duration from frost to affliction is useless. The affliction damage buff is a stat stick. The fireball bonus damage is a stat stick. True affliction has no bearing at all on how the player decides to cast their spells, other than motivating them to more frequently cast fireball for the damage bonus rather than use other spells.
Stupid & Useless:
- Contamination. Literally does nothing other than look cool & some initial splash damage. Completely unnecessary to extend the duration of affliction. Maybe if it applied affliction but then it would be OP in PvP. How about res+affliction 2 = Affliction 3? Or consumes affliction dots in an area to deal their full damage to targets immediately, and so-on.
Broken (Doesn’t work)
- Runic Speed
- Strength stat
- more random posts I’ve probably made but can’t find.