Mob and Quest Scaling

I don’t think the point of the DLC was to ofter any good xp, it was more to experiment with different features. Robert (or Mathew) stated that they plan on implementing some features from the DLC into the main game. Maybe they will add more xp gains to make it more appealing to go do for you.

1 Like

The dlc is actually givin players something to do who finished the rest of the game… as most dlcs do. You can play it before you got a class at 30, sure, but I think some parts are gonna be pretty hard (like zone 4).

I was happy to purchase the DLC to support the game but i wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, theres nothing to gain from it and no reason to come back to this zone when you have finished the msq. ok there is a unique look on the armours and weapons found here but thats about it so far. if they boosted the Exp on the msq’s and did something with the mission and mob scaling and rewards you get from HS there would be a reason to get this for more MSQ’s

1 Like

There are cosmetic stuff to hunt for I believe if I’m not wrong. I do wonder how they will implement this to the base game though. I do not expect that to be soon as there are a lot of bugs and issues being reported to actually break the game. (players paid to have their stuff gone and character gone … but they fixed that quickly I think).

I’ve gone back to those zones every day since it was released, you can get a crated treasure map once per day from these zones, even if you don’t care about doing the treasure maps, you can sell them while they are still in the crate and they expire after 4 days

I love doing them even if most of the rewards aren’t that great, I’ve had 1 out of the 3 rarest items from them and enjoy the hunt

4 Likes

I also go back to dlc areas every day, currently for maps, but I am also starting to use the grinding device there now.

If your point of view is xp or public event hopping or material mining or shards, then dlc is not for you. If you viewpoint is questing or grinding or treasure hunt or transmogs or exploration (in cool looking areas :p) or future feature insights, then this dlc is for you.

5 Likes

the topic is mostly about the xp and rewards you can get from low level mobs and quests around HS am just comparing the dlc and the rest of the world to get to max level. you currently don’t have to move from HS and why would you. everything is easier there for the same xp and loot and in the case of the dlc its better exp at HS with no down time of traveling to find quest mobs or looking for quest items

I believe that was addressed why you would want to go outside of HS. Event hopping is the fastest way to lvl up (Even more so if you grab missions to do while hoping).

You choose to lvl up only in HS and you choose not to use the fastest method of lvling up.

If you’re statement of “There is no reason to leave HS to level”, more people would be grinding at HS. It is way more efficient to utilize the entire map than to camp HS while waiting on low-level missions. It is easier to do so but xp/hour is lower.

I do agree with the rewards part (Actually you get more rewards/hour by hoping aswell), but you can easily grind xp faster hoping around the world.

2 Likes

Actually all this sounds like a broken record, sorry, it is flatout wrong that leveling there is just same as already told numerous times above; you are ten times slower than others who are event-hopping and leveling their classes this way, apparently. Scroll up and read a sh1tload of things other people do outside HS… but ok apparently lore is not for you, dragon race is not for you, weeklies are not for you, using the grinder is not for you, faster xp (events) is not for you, pvp goblin is not for you, farming, fishing, trading is all nothing you enjoy. Alrighty then.
But now the same starts with the dlc, people are giving you reasons THEY are playing it you say nonono there is nothing to do after done with the story… well IF there was nothing to do we would not visit it daily, huh? There’s grinding places (finally! wasteland was the only one before and not a nice one for shamans imo…), there’s treasure hunts, there’s a whole solo dungeon to farm - something people wished for since over a year btw! These solo dungeons kinda were in the early days of the old game before, many 30s went to the low-level dungeons to farm; once they introduced levelscaling these dungeons became group content; now at least one place where you can solo-farm without disturbance - and even for decent loot - is back.
If all this is not for you, yah then well, nothing to do about it, stay in HS as you wish, skip the dlc or play sth else, but others are likely wasting time answering even… shrugs

1 Like

Armor increasing is about building a team to play shards with. It is impossible to get high level gear without a team and playing higher and higher shards unless you’re looking at stopping at just lvl 30.

yeah it is all for me but the thing is there is no point doing it until level 30. events theres 2 spots in HS i bounce between them both and swap shards i do the 5 dailies its always the low lvl quests they give, i do dungeons, weekly missions i just do the HS ones. in just over a week your level 30 from doing that stuff every day am not saying thats all not for me what am saying is mob and quest scaling make it so you dont need to explore the other area’s and fight harder mobs or run to npc’s allover the place for mediocre xp most msq quests give around 5-6k exp. a mission gives 12k or so fast dungeon runs give ok exp also if am bored of HS. all events give the same exp and loot… give me an example on how you would get more exp and better loot from the other areas easier than HS

That is how the game is designed, on purpose, and most are glad that leveling your first class does not take you weeks. There is not only 1 class, but 8 and the first is quickest to level, because people mostly team up in guilds and do endgame content with their 30s after. And as you rightly stated, before 30 it is also not too easy to survive in the higher areas like Wastelands. So you wanna be there asap, least with one class.
So after this one week (or rather couple days, if you do it more efficiently…) where you went to 30 you can do all these things - and even leveling class #1 is still way faster by hoping events, the 3 Rainforest ones you can add to the rotation with level 10-12, the 3 Lamavora events with lvl 16-20.

Scaling has nothing much to do with the whole topic btw since mobs are not your main (or any significant) xp source and neither are dungeons btw. The latter are done to get dungeon shards - if level 30 - and blue/purple gear and most important, to practice your class in groups. Events are the #1 xp source and missions only add to these. Once you level your 2nd, 3rd class you slowly run out of missions anyway and only have the couple dailies/weeklies, so events become #1, the latest, at this point.
So you can go out to do all the activities already named after only a week, the latest, which is a good thing, no :wink: ? And not even the mob-related activities tie you to HS in any way… The weeklies require mobs all over zones, the dye- and fishing mats-farming requires mobs all over zones, the grinder you can level around HS, true, but only to level 4, then you must go to either Wastelands or the “red” DLC areas to go to level 5 and start it over.

While I do support adding things to do and force players to practice their class more on different kinds of mobs and not critter-hunt their way up, I also feel the many things you can already do (in the OG we did not even have overlevel perks btw, so getting xp was useless after you leveled all classes!) are overlooked, specially by new players.

PS: As for the explanation for leveling most efficiently, the event-hoping works so that you do 2-3 events in every “batch” not only one, here again the event schedule/overview: https://armory.orbus.xyz/#/publicevents
While in the next hour for example there are 4 events going on in Highsteppe, you would do not only these, but 13-14 events all over the world. And get more than 3 times the xp: 7800 (with xp-gear) per event = 109 200 instead of 31 200 while your event quests are finishing same time automatically, adding more xp (I believe 5x12400 = 62 000; here you see even the 5 daily missions are giving less xp than events, for only an hour of playing).
This is important especially for later when all you have is dailies, weeklies and events. Event-hoppers are picking up event-quests as their dailies and do the weeklies on the fly in the downtimes between events. (And btw if leveling alt-classes, most or all events of higher areas allow you to switch to those before the event ends).
I go for overlevel perks since a long time and I don’t play all day long or such, preferrably on weekends and in my lunch break. My 347 overlevels come mainly from that strategy. Loot from event crates I all sell, it is not important to me, got a stack of everything; potions from overlevel crates are welcome, though. And only recently I got a rare tinkerer blueprint from event crates I still didn’t have. However, I farm dyes if anything, or specific mats like ores I need for crafting and runetiles, or fish, all this is not tied to doing events.

PPS: As for some thoughts about the shared-class-system of Orbus which might be a source of confusion… If you wanna be FORCED to go out of Highsteppe before, say, level 20, that would mean to split up the whole mission system, reduce them alot and tie them to classes. If HS quests can only get you to level 10, then you have only Rainforest ones left etc. the consequence in the current system would be that you will have zero quests left for all other classes.
The levels you theoretically wanna get are 120 in average (if you only play half the classes, which many do) and 240 alltogether (if you wanna level all). The first 20 levels are less than 10% of all 240 levels, so since missions are shared across all classes it does make sense that getting to 20 a) only takes days and b) doesn’t require you to venture around much - though you could, if you wanna level even faster.
I think that is likely a part people are not familiar with from other games. Since if you start a new class you make a whole new character and do all the quests again which are designed to level ONE class, not more. In Orbus you can switch classes freely without logging to your mage/pala etc. (WoW), what I like, but only got one set of missions for all 8 classes, so there’s a need to fill these up with events if you wanna level more and the first class where you are flooded with missions can feel extremely fast to be done with.

1 Like

I feel the scaling is one of the worst ‘features’ of Orbus.
Some of us thought it was supposed to be implemented in shardless dungeons so that we can train new players to be dungeon ready by the time they hit the cap level. We used to have fun grinding with new players because we could give them massive XP Boosts and have our friends up and running with us in dungeons in no time, while still having a blast around the map.
But with this level scaling, all the fun went out the door. I run from mobs now on purpose rather than killing them because there is no point to sit there and shoot forever at something when we used to actually get the all mighty feeling and was actually worth it.

PLEASE GET RID OF LEVEL SCALING! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Metris, I don’t understand why you are defending reborn mechanics so much.

I get it, reborn has way more shit to do than the OG Orbus. But the large majority of players, old or new, can all agreed on that level scaling sucks. Sure, they might not be all at the same strength level. But the rewards you get from killing any level mobs will be the same. This doesn’t make sense in terms of MMORPG progressions.
I personally loved all the new features we got in reborn and was grateful for it. This doesn’t mean I should be blindsided on how shitty the level scaling mechanic was.
The original purpose of the level scaling is to give some sort of reward to veteran players while helping out the new. Please tell me, when was the last time you helped a new player purely because of level scaled mobs? Doesn’t matter how scaled the mobs are. They won’t get any beefier to be any challenge to veteran players.

#pleasegetridoflevelscaling

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I start to realized that the level scaling system isn’t even implemented correctly.
If level scaling was implemented like what was promised before reborn, you shouldn’t be able to breeze through lower level mobs like nothing.
The thing that is broken is the reward(all mobs have the same exp and drop output.) and economy system that is in the current game. Massive inflation of runemage reagents, potions (this started when getting potions from dungeons became a thing), rare fishing and crafting materials, and almost every useful tradable items that was just given to everyone and their moms.

2 Likes

I can grind lower level mobs and get chests that will drop materials and equipment scaled to my level.

Edit: don’t forget about exp, who doesn’t love some good 135 exp from absolutely everything you kill.

You helped those newer players because they were struggling, I do that all the time, not because of the reward the mobs will give you.
Taking a line out of context seems to be one of your specialties. Maybe next time you can learn how to understand the point of the post first before you do.

2 Likes

Excuse me but you seemed to have entirely missed that I am one of the MAIN people fighting levelscaling in countless posts here :wink: … I have no idea why you think I “defend” it lol.

Perhaps you don’t read forums that much or posts closely, ok, but here is a long list (second post) of why it needs to go imo, and I was repeating that ever since:

I was simply addressing the point that levelscaling does not have anything to do with many other topics - or even the main topic - this thread is about. It is another topic, hence mobs are no good (or any) xp source anyway. Thus, if mobs are levelscaled or not is irrelevant for the question “what to do outside hs”. Lootdrops is a different topic, for example (see post of Rickness below).

However, I am also writing these things up to help others getting along with a game they obviously barely know - like, there is a point in speedleveling and there are certainly countless actions to do outside HS; as listed… - and I do think it benefits those who are actually reading & understanding it.

Also if you think deeper you understand why things are like they are. I was even suggesting what change would be needed to have things differently (and I was suggesting this change, doubling/multiplying quests and tie them to classes so they lead you through an unique process, in the beta-phase already!!!). Alas, there is no easy way now hence it’s designed like it this. I am explaining the logic I see behind it; and the workarounds the community found - like event-hoping - to deal with it; which is highly suggested if you stick to the game. I lost the illusion long ago that in games it will be all magically catered to my needs, sorry. Though I still hope levelscaling gets reduced - I mean, most people don’t even figure there’s already tons un-scaled mobs; so why don’t have all unscaled; that whole mix makes no sense imo - or abolished in the overworld.

1 Like

This is something I think reborn did very wrong, which I have stated before and will continue to do so, the drops should be different per zone or split between the zones as I’ve stated before so you still have some sort of progression with the gear even while leveling, right now it’s just random

It should be like this:
Salvaged gear - Highsteppe
Defenders gear - Rainforest + Lamavora
Bravery gear - Hulthines + Wastelands

That would make it feel more like progressing as you’re leveling up and exploring, they did that with the DLC and I really liked it, I could go to the zone that I needed the transmogs for and hunt what I wanted after I was done with the story in stead of hoping for RNG to bless me like it is with the overworld stuff

8 Likes

First off, hi Fattercat x3

I do agree with the reward system being weird, stronger enemies should provide more xp than weaker ones. That and the fact you can get better and better gear simply from grinding at HS (Vinny had a point of not feeling forced to leave HS due to this fact).

Vinny has a valid point grinding low levels for increased lvl gear (even though he should have made that the main point in his argument)

But time is money in MMOs and people want to grind faster. You are not forced to HS only (the topic of discussion, or what it became) and it is slower to stay in HS to grind.

1 Like

I’m not sure I really buy the argument about doing events being efficient vs. not leaving highsteppe. The xp given by both so efficient it doesn’t really matter to anyone playing the game casually.

It may be theoretically optimal to grind events, but if I only have 30 minutes for the evening. I’m doing critter capture repeatedly, not setting up with Armory and vr desktop to grind events. I don’t know how many evenings this would take to reach max level but I doubt it’s very long, maybe a month of casual play, (especially if the nearby gate defense is occasionally added). It’s also very low effort and doesn’t take learning the class seriously.

I have all classes at 30, two of which (Bard and Paladin) I have no deep knowledge of and mainly use for when I need to throw the hammer. I mainly leveled the way described while waiting on shard groups (with PvP battlegrounds thrown in for good measure).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.