Open Alpha Feedback Thread

The sliding locomotion slides toward the forward direction of your controller, like it works in other VR games such as Onward. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

We’re going to be experimenting during the Closed Beta with doing sliding based locomotion during combat, but there will always be a teleportation option in the game.

1 Like

Yes, It reports:
"{“percentThroughDay”:0.17246105555555555,“yearNumber”:731,“monthOfYear”:9,“dayOfMonth”:4,“dayOfYear”:244,“hour”:4,“minutes”:8,“seconds”:20,“time”:“04:08”,“playersOnline”:125}"

Okay, send me your log via the reporting feature, then…I’m not sure why it would be breaking on that part.

There is a new patch available, which you will receive automatically the next time you open the game. We’ve attempted to do some work to solve some of the issues which are causing problems for people in areas with high concentrations of players, such as the stuttering and memory crashes. In addition, we’ve adjusted the distance at which you can hear voice chat.

One thing you might notice is that the teleport lines for other people are no longer “smooth” and are now more angled…just ignore that for now, it’s a temporary fix for a bug.

Let me know if the new patch makes a difference for you. Thanks!

I restarted everything and now it’s working - thanks for your help!

@Riley_D I wouldn’t suggest removing teleportation. But you have to get rid of the blinking. Make the avatar actual move from one location to another as to give an observer a feeling of continuity. Continuity is, after all, one of the hallmarks of VR.

Yeah we’re planning to do some experimenting to clean that up during Beta.

awesome glad its working , now just need to level up an keep having fun!

Just got a weird one. I could no longer pull up my menu. On the touch controller. Pressing B wouldn’t pull it up and holding the trigger to finger point, swipe down wouldn’t pull it up. I could still wave to NPCs and click on options boxes. I went to the repair lady and pressed repair gear, but nothing came up. I had to just close the game down from Windows, seeing how I couldn’t access the log out command.

It was probably actually already open someplace if you looked around…we should probably change how that works.

Yeah it was open when I walked away. Assuming it would close itself if I got too far away… I guess I abandoned my menu somewhere in the world :stuck_out_tongue:

It actually stays “stuck” to you (or at least it’s supposed to).

Ok so the locomotion tied to the controller completely explains the weird directional behavior I was experiencing. You might want to consider adding a user configurable offset for the direction. Since, thanks to years of using xbox and PS controllers, most of use hold our controllers, even if they are separate units for each hand, at an angle between 0 and 45 degrees relative to our forward direction. Or just give us a toggle to tie it to the headset instead of the controller.

It be nice to have a fail safe if you press the B button again, maybe it just recenters the menu to where you’re at and looking at that point?

We just did a soft reset of the starter zone to fix a couple of things:

• You no longer have to complete the King’s Stag questline to do the Witch of Mulbirth questline and unlock the Runemage class. If you go straight there she will talk to you right away.

• Fixed a bug where it wasn’t giving the King’s Stag quest when doing the tutorial quest chain.

• Removed the requirement to complete the King’s Stag quest to begin the Chef Lethrow questline.

If you previously did the Guardian Bart questline and never got the King’s Stag quest, just skip that part and go talk to Chef Lethrow instead. Sorry for the trouble.

Teleportation should really be like how you would see a fictional mage teleport. You see the person slowly disappear with particles around it, and then appear on a next location with particles (sprinkle particles are in my head haha). That should fix the unnatural sight of a player changing locations.

1 Like

And a hand gesture to pull or push dialogs and menus closer or further away for easy of access/readability.

That’s a nice idea and it adds to the fantasy style. But it doesn’t fix the continuity issue, specifically in densely populated spaces. When I was logged in there were a dozen or so people right near the player home in the starting town And since the avatars where all so similar, when everyone was teleporting around it was hard to keep track of who was who at a glance. The problem will only get worse the larger the player base.

Small particle line between the teleport locations could help? :stuck_out_tongue:

Also the developers are not planning on making the game this crowded on single locations as far as I know. (So if more people join then intended they will either make more area to explore or more servers.)

I hear you, how about a ghostly shadow. When the player disappears a translucent slightly glowing shadow of the avatar remains, and then accelerates towards the destination until it run into the player. That way you get a representation of movement that is still visually similar to the avatar, but because it is a ghostly visage it doesn’t have to strictly follow the “physical” rules of momentum.

As for the developers not planning on making the game this crowded. That will really all depend on the players. Since you, Mr. Epic Founder, are already aware that they are including fellowships they will get beat up by the community if they can’t sustain player densities capable of supporting fellowship gatherings and group adventures. So unless they limit the fellowship size to a dozen or less, which would make your investment worth very little beyond bragging rights, they are going to have to deal with densely populated areas occasionally.