Origonal Orbus server

Please og orbus server we can play on? I would pay whatever price it is. The community is already split up from other vr mmorpg’s so might as well just make the server and sell that version of the game too.

4 Likes

this community is completely fine tbh. i hope you know the devs won’t even respond because that will be about the 15 billionth time they have said no. it is simply too unoptimized and not even possible. they no longer have the assets. you’re free to make it yourself and likely get copyrighted.

1 Like

is this true devs? no longer have the assets? i figured you guys would have it saved somewhere @Mathieu_D @Riley_D

I was wrong read potatoes post

This is false, asset licenses from the unity asset store dont run out. Once you’ve bought an asset on the unity asset store(which is where they got their assets for old orbus) they’re free to use them for as many commercial games as they want with no restrictions or extra payments.
https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/205623589-Can-I-use-assets-from-the-Asset-Store-in-my-commercial-game-

So them not releasing old orbus has nothing to do with asset licenses. Rather it’s probably more due to a few other things.
First of, it would be an extra server to manage which would also lead to loads more bug reports from people who have not gotten the message that old orbis will not receive updates.
Secondly, the no updates part. With the game not recieving more updates it would eventually die out completely from people not getting new stuff to do. Resulting in not being more than a short term income boost and not providing much in the long run.
Finally, because they said so. They have been pretty clear in the past that old orbus will not be returning.

3 Likes

Yea, this. We’ve even asked them to just release server data for fans to run it as non-commercial and they don’t want people coming to them to fix stuff.

But yeah, at the end of they day they want to move away from Preborn. It’s sorta sad, but Reborn keeps getting updates, and they’ve been somewhat willing to re-introduce specific content if they community has a large enough request for it. We’ve already got 2 bosses from the new dungeons that are Preborn bosses.

asset or not, they aren’t bringing it back so we should stop making posts asking for it back.

1 Like

Would be nice for it to come back, even as a subscription. They won’t due to quest 1 tho and quest is likely the main reason for the reborn downgrade in the first place :frowning:

But seriously the devs have said no before and it won’t change. Tho the minute someone gets the server files and releases a client…

1 Like

Ah well, give it time. The devs need to get all the (much discussed) issues ironed out in reborn as a first priority.

Eventually when they have gotten that sorted, we are probably looking at a Quest 3 or 4 being the standard wireless standalone set. Heck, my old Rift CV1 was more or less outdated long ago already. Anyway, my point is, if Orbus keeps “trucking”, the graphics etc will probably also be upgraded (again) over time (it has to happen in order to compete with other current/up-and-coming vrmmo’s).

I personally would rather have them grow reborn to have all the things that made preborn great then to just have 2 games

3 Likes

I think that is a great point, and the dev’s have brought up in the past that they are open to feedback on certain aspects of Preborn that people would like to see have carried over in lieu of a complete reversal.

I never played Preborn, what are the things about the game at that point in time that everyone loved and currently miss?

1 Like

Although I never played it I watched many videos of it and one of the biggest things that I feel like didn’t come over to reborn is how alive the world feels. Preborn felt like a whole world while reborn just feels like a game they might be trying to fix this currently with them adding more npcs

2 Likes

Preborn was all combat. It was the only way to level so endgame players knew their class instead of power leveling with “mini games”.

The zones were also distinct bioms. Plains, desert, snow, jungle, etc. and there were Wild pvp zones. The world felt more alive with a wide variety of enemies and while it was narrower in focus and buggy as hell, the sense of community and group content felt good. Dungeons could only be accessed by leaving down and traveling to the entrance. The storyline took you all over and felt like an adventure.

Oldbus players remember the good more than the bad. By the time Oldbus died there was on average maybe 10 players online at once.

Reborn is missing the character Oldbus had. It’s flat and generic in comparison. Of course it has its own set of strengths.

Edit: also a big thing was the lack of level scaling. You could solo certain dungeons at max level and travel through zones without constantly getting stuck in combat. It made exploration, mat gathering, and travel in general less of a hassle.

3 Likes

Yea. I wouldn’t say we have like 10 people online at a time, but it definitely catered to a smaller population.

Pretty much the entire population of the game would be found in Highsteppe yard teaching people runemage, and finding someone else while out exploring was usually pretty rare. Although, this made the population seem artificially larger. Reborn could have 200 players online, but you will only ever see ~20 people at a time. In Preborn, there would only be like 30 people, but since everyone was sitting in the tiny Highsteppe it felt like more were online.

On the other hand, the combat and level scaling focus would be cool to add back to reborn in some sense. I went back and read my old posts at the launch of preborn, and the main complaint I and others had was the fact that in preborn it took a long time to hit 20, and it was exclusively killing enemies. This would lead to players needing to kill enemies far above their level (sand worms at 16!) in order to level effectively.

This led to 2 main effects:

• Players that hit 20 were really good at their class. A runemage that hit 20 would be expected to easily beat enemies 2-4 levels above them because it was necessary in order to level. In Reborn, it’s generally “get 30 first, then get good”
  • Grouping was more important. Killing high level stuff was hard, but really rewarding. Being a level 15 or whatever and deciding to find a group to go run through the desert would not only get you a level 20 weapon and armor, but would also give tons of XP for the whole party. Other enemies like skogtrolls would heal so much at higher levels that parties became essential to grind certain zones.

We aren’t ever going back to preborn, but a forum post outlining the main things we would like added from Preborn would be pretty cool, and could definitely be considered by the devs. Some changes were necessary, such as the highsteppe redesign to cater to a larger game, but other changes like level scaling might be interesting to play around with.

Add Waystation Crypt boss 3 and Sentry back, my 2 favorite bosses.

2 Likes

Let’s be honest, the largest issue with this is enemy variety. Preborn had everything from dragons that shot fire to sandworms that dug underground to take out ranged players. We had roaming bosses like the elk dude where players would group up to fight. We had different types of wolves, bandits with different weaponry, and tons more.

Enemies in Reborn are all a combination of 5 moves:

• Give a DoT
  • Shoot an orb
  • Smash
  • Heal an ally
  • Melee attack
    And every enemy is a reskin of the 4-5 types of enemies.

Going between zones feels more lifeless because there isn’t any real gameplay difference between them.

To offer a quick suggestion that might have merit, maybe add minibosses to the open world. Even just relocating abberations (or whatever they call the Forsaken Isle dudes now), scaling their level, decreasing their aggro range and giving them loot drops with blue / purple armor for that level would give insentive for people to group up and fight mechanically challenging bosses for rewards.

Make each biome have a signature miniboss or two would go a long way to adding interesting, rewarding and unique content to the open world. Even the current worldbosses (while not enraged) could be interesting if they actually dropped anything useful and could be killed at the level of the zone.

Or, just change the abilities of enemies, but this would be extremely difficult to implement.

1 Like

I miss the unique visual effects some enemies had. The tiger charge, the deer that did range melee attacks (undodgeable basic attacks from far away), Tradu turrets, and the Lucien wilds stick guys that shot Elongata seeds at you. They each looked unique and had their own signature moves.

If I could ask for one thing back from Oldbus it would be the enemy variety. Not just looks but their unique traits that made them memorable. Mixing them in with the current enemy abilities would make players adapt to new situations. It can increase the difficulty of dungeons by mix matching all available moves.

It’s not even a matter of figuring out how to do it as it’s already been done before. It would be a huge time commitment but well worth it for the amount of different applications it could create.

5 Likes

tbh the challenge. I’ve slowed down with this game because it isnt challenging. hitting high dps isn’t, tanking isnt, healing im starting with, killing stuff isn’t. I mean I can have a full conversation about the anatomy of a cow (joke) during a 15 and get out with tons of time remaining.

1 Like

Starting to think this is less of a joke and more a life experience XD

2 Likes

I guess with how long you’ve been playing it makes sense it’s gotten easy, if you want to do something hard again I recommend trying to learn the whole lore only in game and you can’t ask anyone any questions, and if you do have questions you need to wait till a dev event. That would be a real challenge

I cant read 3 pages without getting bored so im good. I recently picked ranger and bard back up so im back to creating strange rotations. and tbh no matter how long you played or how good you were, the last boss of the waystation crypt raid always took forever