Runemage Changes (To Deter Fireball Spam)

Yeah, I don’t think we can ever get to the point where playing runemage won’t cause injury as probably the best we can do is to reduce it.

While technically it would be possible to reach a point where it wouldn’t be as likely to cause injury, the players who have ‘mastered’ the runemage class resist any changes to the class/meta.

Personally, I’d love to see less fast cast and more of a rotational system or an accuracy system or a ritual system, since to me, that would be more of what would make me go “wow, this is a VR class”.

(I mean, like I said before, we could have two systems like Rangers have).

1 Like

Rotation mages have higher DPS than fire spam mages, so there’s that :slight_smile:

Is that rotation mages using the spam method or rotation mages that aren’t spamming though?

Not spamming as in purposefully shooting 1 spell a second? No. But it’s less stressful than constant fireball. I can go much longer as a rotation mage than just constant fire

Yeah, that is why I advocate variety. Even if you are doing things at about the same speeds, a larger variety of motions should be less stressful than repeating basically the exact same motion.

When repeating the exact same motion, doing it slower should be less stressful than going as fast as your body can manage.

So, in theory, having a larger variety and a reason to go at a somewhat slower pace should help with the stress.

But with that slower rate, they would have to redo what they already did.

The higher damage as outline above; out of the 5-10 mages speedcasting in highsteppe anywhere from 0-1 of them are rotation mages because very few put in the time to master a rotation. Being a rotation mage and having done it for 3 years now I have not once injured my arm/wrist/etc from casting.

Slowing down is also not the answer and then there is what you defined as more accurate spellcasting.

What it sounds like is that the more accurate the more damage you do. This is already a thing in the game with the perfect cast, buffing that to encourage slower casting will just do the opposite as suddenly with a perfect cast you get like a 5x damage buff.

There is no good way to deter fireball spam and the people casting at those speeds (the people who are actually at risk) know their limits typically and a few stretch before casting to not only ensure highest damage but also lowest health risk.

Sure little kids could get hurt in vr but that won’t be do to casting fast (I have not met a really young person who casts 2-3 per second) but rather being unaware of their surroundings and play space which is entirely on them with keeping safe in vr and can happen in any game.

Doing anything like making the casting per second limit drop while even keeping the same damage if you upped accuracy damage it will feel like a huge mage nerf and people will quit in droves; people quit when true affliction was nerfed, people quit when triplicity was nerfed, and people will quit when they feel like fireball was nerfed (even if it really was not).

The best solution imo is to teach mage safety with things like stretches. If that does not satisfy the devs could always put a warning label on the class saying that it can cause horrible side effects if not played in moderation.

Also are we sure this is not Pick’s alt just to troll on the forums?

2 Likes

Should Make us Literally light on fire
a raid warning pops up “YOUR ON FIRE”
You do more damage but also harm yourself.
The Healers Tell you to quit the Spam.
???
Profit.

You know I’m talking about having BOTH options, right? So that people who are spamming don’t see a change.

And how is caring about people’s health trolling? That is kind of rude, I think.

The only option I’ve seen is curb dps

How is the only option to curb dps?

I’ve suggested or hinted at:

Having an accuracy system similar to Precision for archers where if you cast perfectly once per second, you can do the same damage or similar as spam casting >AND< where the more accurate (closer to perfect) you cast, the higher the damage. (Basically my suggestion is having it so the Perfect Cast system is more or less on par with spam casting, but only if you cast at a slower, but steady pace. If they are spamming Perfect Casts, have it still act like it does now for the most part).

A ritual system that takes longer to cast, but does more damage that could be a viable alternative.

Increased benefits for the rotation system so that people are more likely to do rotations instead of spamming.

A rebalancing to raise unused magic (such as Fireball 3) so that they are on par with Fireball 2 spam at least. Potentially on par with rotational spam if they do rotations as well.

AND, aside from rebalancing the less used/unused spells (note: less used/unused), to have these systems as additions instead of changing the current system.

I believe there was a suggestion for saved casts, similar to how warriors work.

Already a thing

1 Like

I don’t think a game should require you to make some sort of contract with yourself where it’s “yeah, this is going to potentially hurt me, but if I want to play at the higher/highest levels that’s just an accepted risk.” Like wtf man, adult or not you still go to school or work all day, still have some kind of life ahead of you. Destroying joints/ligaments/tendons for a video game shouldn’t even be a question or something that’s defended lol.

1 Like

Health is in question with anything you do. VRML player? Possible pulled muscles or damaged environment. Olympics athlete? Possible pulled muscles, sprains, etc. Skier? Possibility of hitting rocks, trees, animals. Even playing a game you’re at risk for eye strain and headaches. If you get hurt it’s on you for a. not realizing and b. not stopping. If you get carpal tunnel from mage it isn’t just an oops casted too many fireballs guess I’ll be in pain, it’s an injury over time which you can recognize.

Sure, most stuff you do comes with risk, but it’s kind of non sequiter. You get cancer just by walking outside in the sun too long these days or breathing the air in a city with a steel plant or other large volume of pollution or basically anything. That doesn’t make mitigating risks both by design and player choice somehow less worthwhile lol.

I never said anything was less worthwhile, I simply said everything has risks and you have to understand them.

Fair enough, I guess. Still seems implied that if you want to do well you’re inherently flicking your wrist or some other motion as many times as possible within any frame of time which is just a recipe for disaster with so many people lol. There are a lot of people out there who don’t give a damn about their safety (or are just ignorant) to the point we have “caution: hot” on our damn coffee cups xD I’m not saying we have to go total kid gloves in this game, but maybe implementing some sort of basic APM cap or other deterrent isn’t so crazy a suggestion.

1 Like

While it’s a fine suggestion, the devs are focusing on balancing healers. They are probably not focusing on child proofing every thing in this game. If you can’t recognize what you’re doing is bad and that you’re hurting yourself, you’re either incredibly numb and need medical attention or you have a serious disregard for your personal safety

4 Likes

Fair lol, odds are if you can afford vr you should be self aware and maybe not let your kids play for too long either ^^" looking forward to the tank/healer balance pass as right now Warrior see a lot of flak / suggestions / being told to just play Paladin in game lol.

I suggest both just because it’s best to have both tanks 30 for when one is needed over the other. Either way let’s keep the replies about the topic :slight_smile: