Show shaman totems when mask is on

Making tiles and grabbing things is really hard with shaman totems in the way. Maybe make shaman totems disappear when the shaman mask isn’t on (but still equipped?)

Edit 1: an indicator that your mask is on for those who don’t have belt items equipped (just for this suggestion with the totems cause otherwise it’s useless)
Something like a buff that you can clearly see but nothing that would alarm you if you just glance

Edit 2: the totems get in the way of things like pet treats too and this would fix it (the hitbox is whack, tossing it under or over works only sometimes)

7 Likes

That would be fantastic.

2 Likes

And how would that work without breaking pve play? During dungeons the totems need to be visible 100% of the time, and should only vanish when you change class. I equip and unequip the mask every time I need potions showing during runs (heal, luck), without my totems vanishing, that’s the point of current mechanics.
We are able to hide potions while playing by putting off the mask, but not totems, that would happen accidentally all the time and make dungeons a nightmare, imo.

Not sure why you would even craft with that class equipped (or pally, or musky…), I use a scoundrel gun for that, there’s nothing in the way.

PS: On a sidenote the spawn timers for totems showing after switching classes, as well for orbs spawning after placing them, is way too long. With mages in the group a trash group is often dead before a shaman has its weapon ready. Messing with totems not showing, additionally, would worsen an already ongoing issues…

Well it would work the same way as something like ranger
With ranger your arrows regenerate whether your bow is out or not
With your bow away, you can’t shoot arrows unless your Riley and we all know he’s dead
That would be the same thing with shaman
(This is just an example) You need to have your weapon out to use the arrows (ranger) and your mask out (same as weapon out) to use your totems
Besides, having to switch classes a lot would reset the timers on the totems which you pointed out
That’s even more reason for this

2 Likes

Come to think of it, how would that break pve play?

3 Likes

It would be just like any other class where if you put away your weapon you can’t use the class until the weapon is drawn again. (Mask on you can use totems. Mask off you cant.)

3 Likes

I think no-one is actually playing/maining the class or using the existing mechanics alot…? It is precisely not like any other class, you can “sheathe” your mask to hide things on your belt, like, potions. And unlike other classes you certainly must be able to use the class else your totems would be gone every time you wanna take a potion or, say, harvest something. And as written it can take a while until they respawn, this would not be practical, at all.
Shaman is different in this respect from other classes, because of the mentioned grabbbing problem in OP and people originally wanted to have the possibility to hide the belt while fighting (but certainly in a way so that you can bring it back, for example, to take a luck potion during fight).
However, aligning anchors properly for all your tools should fix the grabbing issue; but anchors were only introduced after the sheathing mechanics was already in place; so now we got both options.

And the older sheating mechanics is not very useful, imo, it hinders gameplay. I farm with shaman in the overworld and aligned anchors so I can grab all perfectly, nothing prevents me from using totems. That tools vanish if you accidentally sheathe the mask (which happens all the time to me) is a major pia already.
Now if not tools, but totems vanish by sheathing that would be a major fuzz to deal with, in dungeons, pve and pvp alike, depending on your playstyle.

But nvm it’s likely hard to describe. However, if a change like this is done, those who run shaman alot will instantly see what that means… it would be more uncomfortable to play, imo, than take the time to align anchors (or just switch class, for example for crafting… I see no reason to stay on classes like shaman or for ex. musky for this, where the turret is easily in the way and also can’t be sheathed).

So… you still didn’t answer my questions

1. How would that break PvE?

2. I explained the respawning. What do you still not get? The timers would be just like now

3. Netgrue mains shaman, Schmoopy mains shaman, I think Silentnite does, soooo many players do

Edit: 4. How would it hinder gameplay? Nothing would change except for the fact that you need to have your mask out to place your totems down

1 Like

metris I really dont understand what you are talking about

sounds like a bunch of blubber

1 Like

Sorry guys but if you don’t get the issue after all the explanation I can’t do anything … I explained how it breaks pve, because the current system is built around having your mask out/away AND have totems working. Sheathe should not affect anything but your belt. So you can take potions during fights etc. without interrupting your gameplay! Change that and the whole point of current mechanics is gone.

I don’t get either what is so hard to get about it except that you possibly don’t know the class enough or can’t imagine the consequences, what might be the actual issue. Well I can, but if you need to see it, fine, as said it should be crystal clear once this change is done. You will regret you ever posted the idea I’m pretty sure… because it does not even work, as it is now - the sheathing happens all the freakin time, unintended, potions vanish when you need them etc. etc.!

But i’m out of this, perhaps someone else got the issue, mainly cuz I will be without net for a while.

You know to be completely honest, no one else has said this
Mishka hasn’t, chase hasn’t, Scott hasn’t, rickness hasn’t, gundrakk hasnt, Pherosis hasnt

I don’t see you explaining to me how it breaks pve
I have explained to you about the respawning and you haven’t acknowledged it at all
You haven’t acknowledged a few things said
I mean, after explaining the respawn concept to you, you still didn’t listen and just said it was too hard to explain and we weren’t understanding like we were stupid or something
While I encourage and appreciate conversation about suggestions, we just spent about 5 replies getting nowhere

It is all about the pots, if health pots weren’t used, which is almost every player in the game, then this feature is handy when you would not have toolbelt items on :man_shrugging: but for the people who do, this can be annoying.

3 Likes

Huh funny how you explained it to me in just a single sentence and not an essay
I see what you’re saying…
Maybe the mask could not turn those off at all
Or even better, have an option in settings to disable it so that when the mask is on they either disappear or stay

1 Like

thank god we have scott!

thank you for the translation

1 Like

@Xenocider you realize no-one of the whole crowd you strangely enough listed as your fans or what not has wrote 1 single sentence yet about the contents of the topic lol… This whole thread was about 2 people arguing, so far, and not reading or getting a tadbit longer and more complicated argumentation is an issue, sure.

Scott mentioned pots, however what I write is not ONLY about that. So excluding those would not help a bit.
I am likely one of the few farming with the shaman and it will be annoying if tools vanish all the time as well; think about the grinder, for example!!

There was lots other points in my post as well, like sheathe triggered accidentally all the time, but nvm.

I don’t think it’s a good idea, for many reasons, see above. Ok I am really off now.

Well I already provided a solution for this with the belt…
And they aren’t my fans xD
They’re people who have contributed or viewed and liked comments

1 Like

but every other class has stuff disappear when you sheath.

and yes I am a Xenocider fan. I have a t-shirt with his name on it!

3 Likes

And I explained, in detail, why that is not the same… but again, nvm. I know some of the younger players in the community need like one-line posts or short sentences to follow, I can not provide these, on some topics, sorry. After all I hope devs see both perspectives/considerations and make appropriate sense outta it.

1 Like

yes I am a baby who doesnt know how to read

2 Likes

It’s not about being young, it’s about none of us knowing what the hell you were going on about
Besides, all you had to say is what scott said instead of slamming us in the face with 4 essays

1 Like