Megathread: Stuck Combat

Hey everyone!

With the breeding patch we rolled out some changes that we hope will be the first step in solving the stuck in combat issues. Hopefully those of you who have given your dragons some privacy since then have noticed a reduction in the number of times you end up stuck in combat. If you are still experiencing the issue please let me know here and provide any details you can about the fight leading up to the occurrence. What you were fighting, where in the world, who you were fighting with, if anyone used a pet, if anyone had deployed a turret, etc. Basically anything combat related that you can remember.

As you all report back Iā€™m going to work on recreating the issues youā€™re experiencing, which may involve some back and forth or in-game demonstrations so I can track down and fix the cause of the issues.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Anyone that have the means to record their play session : https://obsproject.com/download

Free software to record your screen / apps and sound. Helps with bug reports.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not at home to check if itā€™s still an issue, but I reported a reliable repro around 25 days ago: Stuck in Combat alot, 5 minute timer to let me bypass bug is not cool

Basically:

1. Hit a mob
  2. Run away until you are out of combat
  3. Kill the mob you leashed (But not in one hit)
  4. Be stuck in combat

That was one of the leads I started with for this first round of changes. I wasnā€™t able to consistently (I could do it maybe 1 in 10 attempts) reproduce the stuck in combat effect using that method, but I did make a change that will hopefully resolve that one. Definitely give it a try and let me know if itā€™s still an issue. If so Iā€™ll take another swing at it.

2 Likes

This definitely happened before the pet update, but maybe itā€™ll help?

I was speaking with the NPC in the lost tourist quest. When I finished speaking with him, I entered combat (music, slow movement, etc.), but he never attacked me. I left without fighting and he didnā€™t follow. I had my dragon (from the quest) with me. This was probably a week or more ago. I was equipped as a mage and the NPC was rated as a silver star with the banner on the icon (I was probably lvl 13).

No, thatā€™s standard. You need to initiate the combat.

But the only way for me to get out of combat was to use the ā€˜stuck in combatā€™ button. I made it almost back to the resort without it timing out.

Iā€™ll definitely look into that. Thanks for responding! :slight_smile:

Sort of related, sort of unrelated: Can you have dragon petting automatically turn off during combat? Theyā€™re larger now and itā€™s weirding people out that weā€™re suddenly petting something during combat.

I got stuck in combat in Lamavora Wilds. Was fighting a Runic Warg when a giant spider and its venom huntsman minions were attacking me. I stopped fighting tucked tail and ran. I managed to escape but although the enemies retreated back to their places I was still badly wounded. I couldnā€™t move fast and wasnā€™t regaining health. I used the stuck combat feature and resumed normal play.

Ranger, using arrows no trap
No pet equipped
HTC Vive
Low graphics

Edit: had been getting stuck in combat quite a bit the last few days in Lamavora. I figured it was my pet so I unequipped it. and yet today I still got stuck. Prior to this it was the Blue tails and Venom huntsman by Tradu Mines.

when retreating and the enimes reset do you still have a poison active when they reset. in your example of the spiders, when you ran at the moment the spiders leashed was one of their poisons still ticking damage on you? on the other side had you used your poison and was it still actively ticking on the spiders when it leashed. Just wanting to collect as much data as possible.

Perhaps on the Runic Warg but I never even shot at the spiders. But I was stuck in combat for over 30 seconds before I decided to just use the option.

Just imagine how the mob feels!

This stuck combat issue has been around for a really long time. Longer than most players I think. It doesnā€™t depend on the enemy you fight or what profession you are using.

Itā€™s also pretty consistently reproducible.

1. Attack enemy
  2. Run away until it leashes
  3. Attack different enemy (or the same one in many cases)
  4. After killing different or same enemy, you remain in combat

Generally this is enough to trigger stuck combat, but it also happens when killing the same enemy after leashing it. There is no difference between any class, other than the action of attacking one enemy, leashing it, then switching or attacking the same enemy and killing it.

Another example of this happening quite often is on the Shuggai boss. I believe here if you step within range of a sprout and then step away from it, kill a different sprout, and then come back, you will be stuck in combat after the fight is over.

Corrupted Vulpes are still a reliable way to get stuck in combat, it seems.

1. Engage Aberration pack with Vulpes
  2. Leave range of pack
  3. Be stuck when Vulpes de-aggros. The Vulpes actually receives their health bar back over their heads when this happens. Killing the Vulpes after this point does not unstuck combat, however.

Few notes: At step 2, the vulpes is often: just finished jumping at me; and the last mob in the pack to de-aggro. Just in case those are helping to cause this.

Havenā€™t tested lately, but the mummy casket with the staff in it over in the jungle I could often replicate stuck in combat.

Get in ā€œaggro rangeā€, jump out. In. Out.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Had this happen last night in the first dungeon.
I had already had some connection problems in the dungeon where I would get kicked out to character select but could get right back in, so it may have just been my internet giving me issues.
The fight it happened on was against the spiders/skag/sprit that are just past the Ogre. I was a musketeer, and we had 2 mages and a ranger (there was another musketeer but I believe he was not connected at the time). I did have a turret out and we all had dragons. One of our teammates died during combat. After everything was defeated, I was the only one still in combat and the guy that died couldnā€™t respawn until I did the Stuck in Combat thing in options.
I think this was the first time Iā€™ve ever gotten stuck in combat as well.
Hope that helps!

@Tera_Y