I give up. I'm out

Because a programmer adding in new content would have the same or similar skill set as those who are fixing the bugs and the game is dying because it’s broken.

2 Likes

But you would leave if every where you went and every aspect of it was broken down closed or causing harm and every time you left your home you risked running into something that was impossible or near impossible to overcome without doing something completely illegal or high risk in order to make it through the day…

Because that is the state of the game people are literally having to “cheat” or exploit the game in order to make sure that 70% percent of the game is possible to complete. I.E. skywalking, leashing adds, using stuck combat, manipulating pally rez, cheesing mechanics, constantly having to relog due to latency, full crashes, lack of ingame audio, severe racism and hate speech, not to mention just about every class has a main mechanic or multiple that are severely broken or completely useless for the content being released and the hardest content in the game is so bugged that it becomes literally impossible to see the intended mechanics or do them properly.

Cause that’s some real loyalty if you were willing to stay.

3 Likes

#fixbugsfirst

1 Like

There’s also concerns that releasing new content will make bugs worse. I mean I held my breath with the facial animation update as I was concerned desyncs or class breaks would be worse. Prior to that update I never heard a single person mention that they wanted to see mouths move.

Meanwhile the only way so far to beat last boss citadel hard mode is to only have 3 people in combat with the boss while everyone cowers in the corner and a bard passively healing the tank as to stay out of combat. All secretly praying that they can go for 20 minutes without lag, connectivity, desync, having a purple orb float off to no where during blue phase, or the boss deciding he’s had enough and leashes himself after hell phase.

3 Likes

Pretty much this, a lot of the major struggles during content in this game is not due to difficulty its due to bugs and errors and I personally get extremely nervous anytime content is released because at least for me a majority of the time things keep getting more and more unbearable as far as errors, desync, and lag. And I for one am struggling to play anymore because after nearly a year of playing the bugs and issues have to be treated like a feature. I still complete content but after all this time, and it’s only getting worse, it feels like a slap in the face. And anytime it happens it’s out of my and everybody else’s control. The fact that a shard can break due purely to errors, crashes and relogs, or a raid goes incomplete due to the same and more seems like a really rough way to play any game let alone a vr mmo that has actual physical movement. And the content that has been released since I started last December has been almost purely cosmetic and graphical updates which have only made things worse in terms of reliability. To me it’s just shocking that of all things that continue to cause actual gameplay issues that is still what is priority. Aside from hardmode citadel which is buggy as hell there have been no new gameplay content just perceived QoL that I have seen either very few or no one ask for and I just can’t wrap my head around that. I love this game but this is entirely too many errors to make a player base deal with and what we have now is moving mouths and avatar cosmetic upgrades… call me disrespectful I don’t care because that is not the intention, but I have been playing mmos for like 19 years and this is completely unheard of in terms of priority updates.

4 Likes

This.

So how exactly do you suggest we help the devs other than what people have already been doing for a very long time? By this i mean descriptions, contexts, screenshots, videos etc?

The thing is though, that most of the bugs people are really annoyed about are not VR specific at all, of which many have existed for years.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on the matter. I personally haven’t logged in in a good while because every time i get the urge to do so, i also remember all the issues that i probably will have to deal with. And then the urge disappears again.

Edit: Grammar and format

Edit 2, some history:

2021 in general
Multiclass and other desync issues (look for the threads yourself, plenty in the recent ones)

June, 2021

May, 2021

June, 2018

May, 2018

April, 2018

Many of the issues from 2018 still exist in various forms.

2 Likes

What makes you think they are focusing all on content and no bugs? Mathieu said himself they have people for bugs and people for content. They work at it all on the same time. Mathieu has made it clear they are putting a lot of work into this.

1 Like

Nothing at all. I do not believe i have stated so any place. However, as it currently stands (the past taken into account), maybe all resources should be pooled into bug fixing. And sure, there may well be people on the “content” team that are not qualified for bug fixing itself. However, those resources could be directed towards playtesting instead.

We as players do not know how the team workflow and workload is managed. All we can do is guess. However, what we do know is the state of the game now and in the past. Personally, by now i think it is borderline embarrasing that many if not most of these issues have been fixed. And that has nothing to do with hating on devs rather than actually wanting an enjoyable relatively bugfree game rather than new content.

3 Likes

My point is that Mathieu has made it more than clear that the dev team is working hard on fixing these bugs and giving us what we want.

1 Like

Yes, he has. But he/the team also made sure they were working hard on fixing bugs in the past. Yet, there they are.

1 Like

People are hopping on this bandwagon of assuming the devs have become all content and no bugs which is unnecessary and won’t get anything done. This is a small dev team and they are doing their best. I’m not pleased either but I am understanding and I’m trying to be as patient as possible.

1 Like

But are people really “hopping on the bandwagon” though?

As you could see in the thread history i posted, i started posting feedback on bugs back in 2018, some of which were desyncs, disconnects and crashes which still happen today. I am by no means any “pillar of the community”, but i have followed the development of the game since i got it. And sadly i personally feel it is still far from being an enjoyable experience. Not because of the game itself, but because of the many issues.

Meeeshka on the other hand is, or was since he has thrown in the towel, one of the old pillars. And when people with this kind of dedication give up, i think that is a very large and blinking warning sign.

Then there are all the other people posting. Some are more vocal than others, some more regular than others. Many players never post at all. Regardless who they are (yourself included), they are all experiencing bugs that reduce the enjoyment of the game. I’ll wager most experience bugs every time they play. I have never heard of/seen a post by a player saying they are not having issues with bugs. Think about it. That is a pretty scary prospect for a game both players and developers want to love.

As players we can only attempt to help so much, as with describing the issues as good as we can, providing visual “evidence”, reproduction steps if possible etc. If that doesn’t help, the only thing we can do is either wait and hope it gets better, take to the forum or simply abandon the game.

The “length” of patience is different for each individual. How “long” is yours?

1 Like

They shouldn’t be focusing on new content if the game is broken.

And personally I would have been cool with paid for content if it would’ve helped fund a bigger development team, but there free updates and there causing more bugs. I think the devs are wonderful.

That being said I shouldn’t have to relog 5 times in less than a half hour to make sure I can play semi properly.

4 Likes

I have made both a commitment and investment into this community. Just as I am not perfect, I do not expect any person or technology to be perfect.

I look at the efforts of the devs, the commitment they make and the members I am friendly with which makes it easy to maintain a positive perspective as to what Orbusvr offers and what is being delivered.

Do glitches and bugs get frustrating…yep…but I am here for much more that a a gaming experience

2 Likes

I thought you were a developer from previous posts?

Think about the complexity difference between desyncs happening mid/beginning of a dungeon (it’s instanced, party chat is always on, it pulls you from anywhere in the game world, etc.)

VS. highsteppe update and graphics updates? The latter may be mostly 3D modeling with some code written about it. I think this update might have been time consuming but not necessarily complex.

Not my product, could be wrong, but hard to imagine otherwise re: complexity.

If I was scoring the desync thing might be a series of high point stories or timeboxed research and fix (you get X hours to work on thing this week, after that communicate results and move on).

Yes, i used to be a developer before i burned out in my mid thirties. It is a rough business.

This isn’t any different from a multitude of other multiplayer genres though, where people will expect such issues not to be present 3 years down the line. It may sound harsh, but if Orbus wasn’t a VR mmorpg and the only one of its kind on top, it would have had no playerbase anymore. Which brings us back to the question: Why are these issues still present when they are not VR specific?

Don’t get me wrong. I want Orbus to succeed. It is pretty apparent Meeeshka wants Orbus to succeed with all the work he has put into making video content both for the community as well as bug reports for the developers. I have no doubt that pretty much everyone else here also want Orbus to succeed as well. But good intentions doesn’t fix the issues. Only the developers can do that. All we can do is tell the developers how we feel about them still being there.

4 Likes

There is a solution to all of this. Start paying a subscription. The team is small and under funded. We are expecting the dev’s to pull a rabbit out of a hat with no support. If you want perfection then open your wallet and contribute.

Once you have a stake in the game past $14.00 plus $10.00 if you sprang for the DLC you can expect more. As it is, this is an awsome game and for $24.00 a player I think they are doing great.

Stop letting your egos get in the way of reason or start paying for perfection.

3 Likes

My thoughts earlier, so we agree on the following for sure (first comment on the post):

I think they’ve been doing fine up until now (as far as positive reviews go) due to the lack of competition, but I do worry for the community if another VRMMO comes out that’s more polished. I’d hate to leave, but if the gameplay is better I might switch

IMO, I think it’s too much to assume that because something isn’t related to the 3D/tracking/etc associated with VR, that the problem should be easier to solve. You burnt out in your 30s–not sure if you were a game dev, but either way it’s a tough job. I get burnout every few months or after a stretch of 40+ hours a week.

For all we know, as an example of how we could be wrong, it could be the opposite: the VR stuff could be easier than the game logic itself (inventory, classes, instances, etc.). If they didn’t want to rebuild the wheel, some portions of the VR-specific code could be open source or forked from open source. But all the MMO specific things they may have had to build themselves, (especially if they stopped using unity? Not sure how much they helped with that portion out of the box). this is a guess based on the abundance of free hand-tracking and other VR specific code snippets available–many from oculus itself to encourage 3rd party devs, like Orbus.

(for non-devs: a fork is when you make your own version of existing code because you need extra/different functionality, or if it’s bugged and the original coders won’t fix it, etc.)

Also, there are a ton of Android specific issues that have to be dealt with. The platform evolves and changes in fairly big ways on a regular basis for no apparent reason causing sometimes massive editing or rewriting of thousands of lines of code just to comply with the update.

Well, I bought the game when it was $40, so, by your logic, I, along with many, many other players should expect more.